bl**dy livid

richie223

Read above

Richie isnt alone in this 'phenomenon' it also happend to us when out lamping at night and is **** ing scary to say the least!

Ours was blue tipped stuff from lot no E05Q08 shot using a CZ452 (10 round plastic mag)

I emailed Hornaday and complained they got Edgars to contact me about it so I told Richie to do the same.

Edgars say they will replace any ammo I have from that lot, as for the magazine I live in hope as they are £40 (ish)

Incidentally I asked Edgars re the red v blue tips and, as was told by Hornady 12 months ago, the blue polymer tips were destined to be used in the 17 Mach 2 ammo and red in the 17HMR

The Mach 2 doesnt sell so the tips were used in 17HMR.

There is no difference in performance between red or blue tips as it is just the polymer colouring

It seems that the Mach 2 is destined to be a 'non available round as the guns (or ammo) dont sell.

I was also assured that CCI who load (most) HMR ammo have now 'got things sorted'

Edited by masmiffy

I know you said earlier that the bullet was properly chambered and the bolt properly closed but surely that would effectively seal the bullet into the barrel and not allow such a dramatic pressure burst into the magazine. Maybe I am wrong there and only guessing.

Maybe it is not an ammunition problem but a bolt / firing pin / feed issue that could have happened with any round.

For your mate to get a bullet stuck in the barrel suggests damp ammunition causing slow or incomplete combustion or perhaps a cartridge containing only primer. That is almost certainly an incident that can be attributed to the ammunition.

The chamber explosion is different both in cause and effect. It was also another batch of ammunition. An extraordinary set of circumstances.

There may not be any link at all between the two events, just coincidence.

Pretty damn scary though.

The cause of the chamber explosion does not seem to be as simple as faulty ammunition, it sounds to be as though the bullet was not properly seated for whatever reason.

i am 100% certain that the bolt was fully closed and round was chambered correctly.i don't understand it either ,but with regards to the round getting stuck in the other gun,he chambered the round and something didn't feel right{the round was never fired}.he pulled back the bolt to find the head stuck in the barrel.the powder in the case was like a gel like substance???so effectively the head fell off!correct me if ia wrong but surely if the bolt was not locked in correctly the bolt would have been forced backwards?it seems to me the mag is the weakest part and that give way before anything else.i have inspected the bolt gun etc and all is working fine

problem is caused by moisture effecting the powder on rounds which have either loose bullets or cracked neck before firing ,on firing the primer mixture ignites pushing the bullet out of the case and up the bore, the bullet then stops as there not enough pressure for it to exit the bore . Then another round has been loaded and fired which has caused a build up of back pressure and resulted in the excess pressure venting via the bolt face.