Skeet Rules

ratboy

Hello people,

I tried skeet this week for the first time. I went round with a couple of guys who were very happy to explain what to expect on each stand and I managerd a 15 / 25 and a 17 / 25 round, I was told that I hadn't done too bad for a first go. Thye score wasn't important but I really enjoyed and can see me blowing a small fortune on carts and clays.......

The problem is that I can't remember what clays came from which tower in which order. The Google search I did confused me because there seemed to be contradicting information shown. I don't want to look like a complete novice everytime I turn up and have to be told what's next, so I want to learn the format.

Can anyone give the correct list of singles, doubles and towers.

Thanks in advance.

Not 100% sure:-

stand 1 ; 1 high 1 low then pair taking high first

stand 2 ; 1 high 1 low then pair taking high first

stand 3 ; 1 high 1 low

stand 4 ; 1 high 1 low then pair.

stand 5 ; 1 high 1 low

stand 6 ; 1 high 1 low then pair. not sure if you have to nominate high or low for the pair

stand 7 ; 1 low 1 high then pair taking the low first

stand 3 ; 1 high 1 low

stand 5 ; 1 high 1 low

stand 6 ; 1 high 1 low then pair. not sure if you have to nominate high or low for the pair

Pretty much spot on

I am pretty sure The reason for taking the Low bird first on the last stand is IF you clatter the high the particles can fly towards you and strike you as or before you get a chance to take shot number 2 which COULD result in an unsafe discharge of your SG if your blinded or injured by the debris.

LG

god scores for 1st time i started in july and usually average 20 have hit a few 24s,having problems trying to shoot a straight,but having great fun trying.

If your hitting the odd 24 and only been shooting since July then i would be well chuffed. well done :yes:

All i can manage is at best 23 i seem to loose it just after the middle stand. Went today and with the wind and other distractions ie; the wrong colour cartridges and people behind asking if i had missed any ( MIFFY SPARKIE) i am sure that i could shoot a straight every time ??????

Any way anything in the 20s is a good round as far as i see well done and go for the 25 straight ill have a party

ratboy quoted:-

Have skeet rules changed over the years? The reason I ask is that I found 2 or 3 sites that seemed to show different birds at different stations.the day i do it :yes:

dont know about the rules there but most of us shoot in the UK :lol: there is a difference between the Olimpic yes as the birds are allot quicker.

dont know about the rules there but most of us shoot in the UK :lol: there is a difference between the Olimpic yes as the birds are allot quicker.

I think I am right in saying that the main difference between Olympic and English skeet (Other than olympic being quicker) is that in Olympic skeet you have to shoot gun down with a line marker on your vest which the butt of the gun must touch until bird released which is also on a time delay of upto 3 secs. English Skeet you can pre-mount the gun and the clay is instantaneous upon calling for it.

Have done both and apart from Move Mount Shoot in Olympic skeet the speed isn't that much different to english.

The reason for taking the low house bird on stand 7 first on the pair is for safety reasons, altough you shouldn't get clay particles in your eyes as of course you'll be wearing shooting or safety goggles as endorsed by the CPSA and all of their grounds :yes:

SS :yes:

i think the olympic clays are far faster too,i tried it once did nt do too bad,but the stand out in the middle where you have to shoot whilst they go over your head,the 1st bird i could nt get my gun up in time ,it was quick,my mates all laughed but i did manage the 2nd one,its a very quick discipline try it it is fun

I am pretty sure The reason for taking the Low bird first on the last stand is IF you clatter the high the particles can fly towards you and strike you as or before you get a chance to take shot number 2 which COULD result in an unsafe discharge of your SG if your blinded or injured by the debris.

LG

you will find LG that any away bird in a pair situation will/should be shot first as S.Shooter pointed out shooting from gun down in int'l skeet you have a very short period of time to pick up you targets.

In American Skeet, that distance is 60 yards. In International Skeet, that distance is 65-67 meters (~71-73 yards). The difference, combined with the differences in the targets themselves (International targets “glide†a little less as they lose speed during horizontal flight requiring a little more force to get them to fly the same distance) results in a substantial increase in target velocity as it travels across the field and out of bounds. The actual speed of either type of target depends on altitude and, realistically, weather conditions. However, the average speed difference is about 30%.

plus the delay makes for an interesting day at the races :/ :o

Martin

All i can manage is at best 23 i seem to loose it just after the middle stand. Went today and with the wind and other distractions ie; the wrong colour cartridges and people behind asking if i had missed any ( MIFFY SPARKIE) i am sure that i could shoot a straight every time :D:D

Not sure what you are on about John :/ :o

We'll have to go again soon..........hopefully without learners who turn around with a loaded gun :D :o

• 2 weeks later...

stand 3 ; 1 high 1 low

stand 5 ; 1 high 1 low

Almost right, Stands 1,2,& 3 correct stand 4 you must nominate which bird of the pair to shoot first

Stand 6 low bird of pair shot first (don't overlead this one) stand 7 correct. Also note that the first bird missed is repeated (whether high, low or one of pair) and if no misses you get the option of a high or low at stand 7 making your 25.

If you're interested in finding out why stands 6 & 7 shoot low first in the pair...try shooting the high first!!!

PS. This is English Skeet not to be confused with ISU