Fox frustrations!

jimmyb79

So I've had a fair few outings with the .223 now and have bagged a decent amount of foxes so far. However, I have an issue which I can't seem to sort. Whenever I see those eyes shine back in the lamp, my heart starts racing and I get, well, over-excited I suppose!

When shooting prone or off the bonnet of my truck it makes no difference but trying to shoot off my tripod rest is a complete mare! I have to put the gun down and take deep breaths before having another pop. For each one that gets away because of this delay in taking a shot, I seem to put myself under more pressure for the next one that comes along.

If I I do get a shot off, more often than not I miss from the tripod, not because I can't shoot off it, I can take rabbits with my hmr no problems, but just because the gun is moving too much when it's a fox!

I think I just need practice practice practice but just intrigued to hear if anyone else has similar experiences.

I should add that I do all my fox shooting under the lamp using a NM800. Most misses come from the fox being between 150-200yds away and all I'm able to see are the eyes an not the body. I tend to shoot at x6 mag and at that range I find it's quite a small target once the gun starts wobbling!

Also to assist anyone who won't read all the replies. I'm identifying what I'm shooting at with larger handheld lamp and a thermal monocular so I'm not just shooting at eyes.

Edited by jimmyb79

Buck fever. It'll pass, just forget it's a fox and treat it as a target. Chances are in your excitement you're snatching the trigger instead of squeezing it.

AND NEVER shoot at a pair of eyes if that's all you can see. If you can't see anything else either get a better scope or call it in closer. The NM800 should light it up like a Christmas tree at that range.

I should add that I do all my fox shooting under the lamp using a NM800. Most misses come from the fox being between 150-200yds away and all I'm able to see are the eyes an not the body

Stop right now. Badger, sheep, small horse, pet dog, person out bat/owl/deer photographing ? Could be any of those.

Go read the documents from BASC regarding rifle shooting, they are VERY clear. You NEVER, ever shoot at a target that you cannot absolutely 100% identify.

Edit : please disregard. The OP has clarified

Edited by robbiep

Sorry, should also mention that I also use both a bigger handheld lamp and a thermal vision monocular for spotting so I know what I'm shooting at. I'm not an idiot!

Can clearly identify what it is with those. I just can't see the body using the red nm800. Not sure why that would be though possibly because where I shoot the grass is quite long in places.

So I've had a fair few outings with the .223 now and have bagged a decent amount of foxes so far. However, I have an issue which I can't seem to sort. Whenever I see those eyes shine back in the lamp, my heart starts racing and I get, well, over-excited I suppose!

When shooting prone or off the bonnet of my truck it makes no difference but trying to shoot off my tripod rest is a complete mare! I have to put the gun down and take deep breaths before having another pop. For each one that gets away because of this delay in taking a shot, I seem to put myself under more pressure for the next one that comes along.

If I I do get a shot off, more often than not I miss from the tripod, not because I can't shoot off it, I can take rabbits with my hmr no problems, but just because the gun is moving too much when it's a fox!

I think I just need practice practice practice but just intrigued to hear if anyone else has similar experiences.

I should add that I do all my fox shooting under the lamp using a NM800. Most misses come from the fox being between 150-200yds away and all I'm able to see are the eyes an not the body. I tend to shoot at x6 mag and at that range I find it's quite a small target once the gun starts wobbling!

Pretty sure most of us have been there pal, still get it my self from time to time. Calling a fox into shotgun range always gets my heart racing.

More recently I had to take a step back from taking a shot from my new airgun on a squirrel. It took me 3 to 4 trips to find my quarry and the excitement was to much. Took the gun down steadied my self and made the shot perfect.

Take ya time and try not to rush, it will all come together.

Karpman

Surely this is a wind-up. The OP has been a member here for some 4 years and this particular safety topic of shooting at just eyes has been covered/mentioned frequently in that time. That is in addition to the news items covering serious incidents of that nature and not to mention articles and information from the shooting media and BASC et al. Consequently, it is with no disrespect that if the OP hasn't learned this yet, the likelyhood is is that he never will and therefore should sensibly consider stopping shooting at night at the very least.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see it.

Please read previous reply. Yes I'm shooting at eyes, but not before I've identified the target using thermal vision and a larger handheld lamp.

I'm not new to rifles or shooting (just foxes)and am not stupid!

Post deleted. The OP has rather belatedly added his post #5 which was not there when I started typing.

No probs Wymberley- I understand where you're coming from and the conclusion drawn from my original post. I should have added in about how I identify something of which I can only see eyes.

FOX FEVER !!!

I have recently taken a few fox's at varying distances and dropped them on the spot cleanly.

We then got on a fox which we had been seeing for months but never had a shot at it. Finally got it to 60yards so nice easy shot and it was sat up like a dog.

You guessed it i missed!!! Proper case of fox fever just so desperate to take it out that i snatched at it.

Calm down and carry on

Sorry, should also mention that I also use both a bigger handheld lamp and a thermal vision monocular for spotting so I know what I'm shooting at. I'm not an idiot!

Can clearly identify what it is with those. I just can't see the body using the red nm800. Not sure why that would be though possibly because where I shoot the grass is quite long in places.

Each of us is different with varying degrees of Mark 1 vision. I share your limitations with the red LED on the NM 800 particularly on grass. At the distances you have mentioned, all things being equal and you haven't come across a lamp shy fox, it may just pay to try the yellow LED. I've only just got my torch but have already nabbed three all closer than 150 yards using this.

You're too quick for me, replying before I had time to delete my other post. I found the little titbit that you belatedly added quite useful and which naturally changed the scenario quite considerably.

Each of us is different with varying degrees of Mark 1 vision. I share your limitations with the red LED on the NM 800 particularly on grass. At the distances you have mentioned, all things being equal and you haven't come across a lamp shy fox, it may just pay to try the yellow LED. I've only just got my torch but have already nabbed three all closer than 150 yards using this.

You're too quick for me, replying before I had time to delete my other post. I found the little titbit that you belatedly added quite useful and which naturally changed the scenario quite considerably.

Funny you should say that, I did change my NM800 to the amber last night after missing the first. Didn't see another fox to try it on unfortunately. I've only used the amber on rabbits previously but will give it a go on the foxes next time. I think it's where they stay in the long grass that stops me seeing the body with the nm800, which is the downside to thermal vision. You can see them clearly in that! In other places I shoot over fields and don't have trouble seeing the body once my eyes adjust a little and they're out in the open. Still get a bit excited though! Edited by jimmyb79

Jimmy

I would try to get closer either stalk into them or try calling if your spotting them with a thermal imager i would be calling them in.I shoot a lot of foxes

mainley with .22 hornet also with .243 and shoot most of them between 70- 130yards.I know alot depends on what ground you shoot over but if you miss alot they wiil be nearly unshootable in the future.

I couldnt shoot on six mag over 200 yards i have most my scopes at 10-12 mag except my rimmie also i think your making it hard for yourself trying to head shoot them if you can only see there eyes.

The more you shoot the more confident you will get and you wont get the shakes.

Atb Lee

• 2 weeks later...