clutch probs

Gadge-it

If the slave cylinder was failing you'd have a fluid leak

My guess is the master cylinder is failing, is / was the fluid black with rubber contamination?

If the fiction plate was worn out then generally the pedal would be high with the slightest touch causing it to slip

its a isuzu trooper

i would still say the hydraulics slave/master cylinder. the test of selecting a high gear and releasing the clutch with the handbrake on will only prove the clucth might be close to slipping and as paul223 says the biting point would be high. the seals in cylinder can let by with no fluid loss. replacing the cylinders and fluid is far cheaper than removing the gearbox etc.

The other options would be a release bearing or fork failing or a pedal push rod adjuster which has come loose and wound itself off

Check the push rod first to see if it is adjustable, if it is then adjust so it only has a 1/16 of an inch free play, with the pedal up

Then check the slave cylinder movement against the master cylinder, if your getting loads of movement on the pedal before the slave moves try a new master cylinder, if the slave is moving with the master and your getting good extended travel then it's box out time

Edited by Paul223

i would still say the hydraulics slave/master cylinder. the test of selecting a high gear and releasing the clutch with the handbrake on will only prove the clucth might be close to slipping and as paul223 says the biting point would be high. the seals in cylinder can let by with no fluid loss. replacing the cylinders and fluid is far cheaper than removing the gearbox etc.

Leaking slave will eventually vent past the dust boot, the master cylinder will leak past the seal into the reservoir turning the fluid black or leaving a black soot like deposit, there's a second seal to stop it venting so very often no leak to be seen

What sort of mileage has it done. Clutches are usually finished 130 to 150.000 miles.

It could be the clutch fork arm bent. Discos suffer that problem badly.

I have had vehicles come in with low clutch peddle and on stripping them down.

I have found that the clutch plate so badly worn that it was braking up and dragging.

Causing a very low peddle and crunching going in to reverse.

Has Paul223 says its all about getting the right diagnosis.

Loads of very good advice above.

Good luck.

Russ.

If the slave cylinder was failing you'd have a fluid leak

My guess is the master cylinder is failing, is / was the fluid black with rubber contamination?

If the fiction plate was worn out then generally the pedal would be high with the slightest touch causing it to slip

The fluid was dark not sure about the contamination

What sort of mileage has it done. Clutches are usually finished 130 to 150.000 miles.

It could be the clutch fork arm bent. Discos suffer that problem badly.

I have had vehicles come in with low clutch peddle and on stripping them down.

I have found that the clutch plate so badly worn that it was braking up and dragging.

Causing a very low peddle and crunching going in to reverse.

Has Paul223 says its all about getting the right diagnosis.

Loads of very good advice above.

Good luck.

Russ.

its got 140000 miles on but its got no crunching

I,ve just been onto milner 4x4 and a price for slave is only £15 so i think i,ll go with that first.

It's all about correct diagnosis, that's why I'd try to offer a few scenarios and tell tale signs

Thanks for the imfor paul223

its got 140000 miles on but its got no crunching

I,ve just been onto milner 4x4 and a price for slave is only £15 so i think i,ll go with that first.

Thanks for the imfor paul223

I'd price the master first, the black fluid indicates the rubber seal has perished

If you pump the pedal, do things improve? if so ,air in the system, could be slave cyl. seals, master cyl. seals, check around both for leaks also see if level has dropped in the reservoir..

it dosent improve on pumping the pedal

A much better advice.

Tryed that today put it in 4th rev it and it stalled