New Toy Arrived - Howa 1500 Varmint

grimey121uk

After 2 and a half months of waiting my new Howa 1500 24" Varmint in 223 arrived on Friday complete with bi-pod and a MTC Taipan 4-16x50 scope. I managed to take it down to the range today to get the barrel broke in and the scope zeroed with my initial impression being that the gun is superb, even the stock trigger is nice and crisp (compared with my old CZ452 in HMR). The only thing I am planning to change is the stock, I believe Santa is bringing me a Boyde laminate stock for Christmas, anyway shameless excuse for picture;

10646710475_9e9ae533f1_b.jpg
It will be pretty much for target shooting at Altcar, both 200 and 300 meters, Initial Zeroing/breaking in has been done at 50 meters with the groups from bog standard Remington UMC 55g FMJ looks very promising at this stage, 5 shot group shown on the left target - notice that I was walking the scope in 1/8MOA following each shot but unluckily I ran out of ammo so never managed to reach the bullseye. I bought a cheap box of Hornady's steel cased training ammo but its doesn't appear to group too well (right target)..
10646941213_b98c6e7a6f_b.jpg
Edited by grimey121uk

Well me and the Mrs had another trip to the range this morning to do a bit of shooting whilst the sun was out, unlike yesterday. I purchased another 3 boxes (£7.35 each) of the Remington UMC and it still seems to shoot really well so hopefully it will still perform at 200 and 300 meters.

nice rifle..what range do you use around bolton?

Im a member of a few, drop me a PM if you interested in joining a club

Edited by grimey121uk

• 1 month later...

I'm dragging up my old thread but I managed to get down to Altcar and give it a decent test at 200 yards.

Using 55gr Remington UMC my Mrs managed to get a sub 1" group, in fact on her first go she had 11 shots and 5 of those were v-bulls which at 200 yards isn't to bad considering the bull is the size of a 1p coin.

I was going to reload 223 but to be totally honest with that kind of grouping I can't see the point so I popped in to my local RFD this morning and purchased 500 UMC for £190.

I think the downside to the Howa is the 1:12 twist limiting the bullet weight, later in the day the wind started to pick up and I needed a lot of windage compensation unlike some of the other who were shooting 80gr heads.

Another thing I have noticed with the Howa is that I get no copper fouling, not once have I seen any blue on a patch which seems odd especially compared to my other centrefires?

Edited by grimey121uk