Ginger beer!

Spook

Thought I'd share my beer recepie with you all -- it's great now it's getting colder!

2KG of shredded ginger root
3-4KG of white sugar
Wine yeast
Cream of Tarter 1/2 a teaspoon
12 Splender sweetner tablets
1) Shred the ginger skin and all and put it in a large saucepan, top it up with water then boil it for twenty minutes.
2) Strain off the water into a big jug and stir in sugar until saturated - then pour it into a demijohn or brew vessle.
3) Add boiling water from the kettle to the saucepan of ginger pulp, boil for twenty minutes then repeat step 2
4) Once you have nearly filled your demijohn with sugary ginger water I add the Cream of Tarter and Splender tablets.
5) Once cooled to just above room temperature I throw in a sachet of yeast, sit back and wait.

It normall takes 3-4 weeks to ferment out, then I bottle it into 1.5 litre coke bottles.

I have made 12 batches like this and it works every time. I don't know how strong it is but half a pint normally makes the world go wobbly and a full pint turns it blury too! biggrin.gif

I've just got hold of a 20 litre water cooler bottle so I've doubled the quantities and flung it all in and as a bit of an experiment I have chopped up a couple of pineapples and flung them in ......watch this space!

Reading on an American forum and people throw in Skittles towards the end of the brew???? bit shot away if you ask me! That said I'm going to crush up some hazelnuts and throw them into the next Gingerbeer I make. Anyone tried anything weird and whacky??

Just watch it when you open the bottles - I made some around a month ago and it was delicious - The only downside being that of the 4 litres i'd brewed, i reckon the sink, fridge and ceiling probably had half of it!!

If you're feeling brave, chuck a chopped chili in as well to make it a fiery ginger beer

Picture152_zps9c5a7ef1.jpg

That's what we're talking about :) 20 litres at a time, one bottle from every batch saved and the best bit.... not had a hangover from drinking it! If anyone is near by they are more than welcome to join me for a couple - but you'd best get a taxi home!

Also on the go at the mo is 15 litres of Pumpkin and honey wine and 20 litres of blackberry and apple wine/liqueur :good:

• 3 weeks later...

zapp this is the old ginger beer mum used to make 25g root ginger 500g of sugar1/4 teaspoon of cream of tarter 1gal off water yeast and nutrient i grate the ginger up put in a bowl and pour the water and sugar over the ginger leave till cool add yeast and nutrient and cream of tarter leave for 24hrs strain and put in demi john kids love it drink as soon as poss leave it and it will get more alcholic like wine