20guage to 12 guage

NicholasSabuldihin

Recently i have just got back started into shooting after i had a massive scare when i was 14 (5 years ago) causing damage and alot of pain to my collar bone. About 4 months ago i got my own licence and bought a 20bore thinking it be alot softer recoil to bring me some more confidance back into shooting, i had a few lessons with the local owner of the gun shop teaching me propper stanse and also gun mount. So after shooting mostly nearly everyweekend am kinda getting back into this shooting and feel comftable with the 20bore, But after going to a shoot one day and finding out most people my age are shooting 12 bores it got me wondering if i should start moving up, My dad has a 12 bore but yet am affraid to give it a shot after my accident a few years back. Am usualy shooting 28g to 34g cartridges in my 20 bore and was wondering is the kick much more in a 12 than 20 and also what is the best way to move up with out getting put off again as i am only 5' 7" and 19 years old. Is it best to start with light cartridges in a 12 bore and work my way up or am i just being a drama queen and need to face the fear of hurting my self front on ? .. Cheers Nick

28g I'm a 20 bore weighing 6 or so lbs will kick more than 28gram in a 12 bore because it weighs less. That's why clay guns are around 8lbs so they kick less amongst other things. If your shooting 34 grams in a 20 you may as well use a 12.

The next question is why change? You'll hit just as much with the 20 in reality.

28g I'm a 20 bore weighing 6 or so lbs will kick more than 28gram in a 12 bore because it weighs less. That's why clay guns are around 8lbs so they kick less amongst other things. If your shooting 34 grams in a 20 you may as well use a 12.

The next question is why change? You'll hit just as much with the 20 in reality.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :yes:

I have nothing against 20s having had some myself but there can be a number of reasons to change.

Cartridge choice / price to name but two.

If you have been shooting 34 grams through you 20 then chances are you will feel less recoil shooting 28gram - 36gram loads through a 12 so there should be nothing to fear if you wish to change.

Fair play to for getting back into it.

As has been said, the heavier guns soak up the recoil better. So you would probably be better off shooting a 12. And I dare say a 34 gram load in a 20 bore would kick a bit.

Secondly never feel under gunned with a 20 bore. Most if the highest birds I've shot have been with the 20.

Another suggestion is that you could use a semi auto as they kick less but there's not much in it unless you are using heavy cartridges

I shoot both 20 and 12 gauge - usually 28gm for both which works well for clays and pigeons. You could try using a recoil reducing pad in a skeet vest (works for me when using high velocity, high load cartridges) and then stick with the gun that you're used to. In reality as has been said there seems to be no particular advantage regarding effectiveness in moving to a 12 gauge other than cheaper cartridges, and to counter this I'd recommend getting an interesting "sub hobby" of reloading yourself which dramatically reduces costs overall. Roughshooter, Sitsinhedges, Cookoff and others on this forum are incredibly helpful if you take this option. Good luck!

Guest cookoff013

the main reason you should go to a 12 is because you want to.

i shoot 12s because i want to, and do reload for them. cost really shouldnt come into it. as shopping around should negate any "20 to expensive" nay sayers.

the 20 is a fantastic calibre, very inderused IMHO and i`ve even been thinking i should get one.

the cartridges for clays such as the 21gram loads are ideal in a 20gauge (more so now than ever). i just looked at just cartridges and they do a 21g load pro 1 for 20gauge for £200, and £220 for the fibre version. these are ideal for light sporting and major shooting sessions. i wouldnt like to say "go into reloading now" because its alot to learn and takes an extreme amount of dedication to get it right first time. but i`m sure someone will chime in on that.

i do try and shy away from the cheap and nasty shells such as english sporters, but they do fill a need when i have to use fibre. i buy and make ammunition.

if recoil becomes too much with the lighter loads, then the next option is to slow the loads down by buying subsonics or slow training shells, thats not ideal in the 20gauge market as they are going to be expensive and harder to source....

but JC has subsonic low recoil shells for £208 from hull. these will be the lightest shells without homeloading. but there application should really be limited to clays.

i`m not a stranger to recoil, but i did my shoulder in a few months back. 4x 66gram 3.5" shells did it.

the best thing you should try and do is buy some boxes of recomended shells, try them, you may actually never go to 12gauge. its not a bad thing, and you really shouldnt feel under gunned. the 20s are actually cute cartridges, especially for english sprouting !