Fieldcrafter knife.

FalconFN

I've finally finished my Fieldcrafter knife.

I used some walnut from an old shotgun stock and finished it with boiled linseed oil. Stupidly I dropped it on a brick floor, point down, just after sanding the handle so I'm in the process of reshaping the bent point.

Just need the sheath doing now.

post-20802-0-13443000-1385247106_thumb.jpg

I must say I'm impressed with the blade, it is 4.5 mm wide so much thicker than I'd normally go for, but in the hand it feels well balanced, sturdy and very useable. Many thanks Fieldcrafter!

I've finally finished my Fieldcrafter knife.

I used some walnut from an old shotgun stock and finished it with boiled linseed oil. Stupidly I dropped it on a brick floor, point down, just after sanding the handle so I'm in the process of reshaping the bent point.

Just need the sheath doing now.

IMG_20131123_224508.jpg

I must say I'm impressed with the blade, it is 4.5 mm wide so much thicker than I'd normally go for, but in the hand it feels well balanced, sturdy and very useable. Many thanks Fieldcrafter!

That's lovely mate. Ive just finished my first knife got an Helle blade really cheap to see how I got on and if I liked making. Blooming loved it.

So gonna get one of these blanks I think. I take it that it came all sharpened and polished etc?

That's lovely mate. Ive just finished my first knife got an Helle blade really cheap to see how I got on and if I liked making. Blooming loved it.

So gonna get one of these blanks I think. I take it that it came all sharpened and polished etc?

Cheers. The blank came ground, which gave it a good edge (but not a smooth, razor edge), and it didn't need polishing - unless you like a really smooth grind, in which case a bit of wet and dry will do the job. It's quite a chunk of steel for the money and makes a very nice knife that will get lots of use - I may still use an Opinel for paunching rabbits but until I try it out for real I won't know how it works on them.

Lovely thanks bud. Decision made......

now where is that Field crafter fellow......

Matt has given up making knives commercially and is selling off the remainder of his blanks.

You may be able to contact him through Pigeon Watch by sending him a Personal Message at matt fieldcrafter-uk

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

As i say probably more down to poor treatment on my half. Formed my sheath around the knife blade and left it in there overnight without thinking about the slightly moist leather and it rusted a little in the bead blasted area. Not really an issue but its hard to get at to remove as bigman says. Bit or wire brush in the dremmel with some oil will do it next time i have it out. The blade area shows ZERO signs of rust and holds an edge very well, i use mine mostly for rabbits/ dressing out.

As i say probably more down to poor treatment on my half. Formed my sheath around the knife blade and left it in there overnight without thinking about the slightly moist leather and it rusted a little in the bead blasted area. Not really an issue but its hard to get at to remove as bigman says. Bit or wire brush in the dremmel with some oil will do it next time i have it out. The blade area shows ZERO signs of rust and holds an edge very well, i use mine mostly for rabbits/ dressing out.

Did you wet form the sheath around the knife? Next time wrap the blade in kitchen cling film ;-)

Edited by bigman