Cleaning .17 hmr

vampire

I have a brand new cz .17 hmr and am confused about what my cleaning routine should be.

I cleaned my .223 regulary but only ever clean my air rifles and rim fire if they are going off accuracy and would like to do the same with the hmr,from reading some of the previous threads there is obviously the two schools of thought.

So my question is,

Would the lack of regular cleaning actually do any harm to the bore .

I always pull a Boresnake through my Hmr twice every time I get home after using it :good:

I think in the 4 years I've owned my CZ I've scrubbed the bore once cos I thought I should :whistling: - it didn't make any difference - it's probably had 3000 rounds through it & it's an absolute tack driver ;)

I treated mine the same as the 223 I had at the time. Noticed after about 15 shots the groups opened up a bit.

I was using different cleaning stuff than I do now. But as an exercise try cleaning it out with something like wipeout. . If the patches come out blue after dragging a bore snake down it then I guess you will have your answer.

Mine only gets pulled through when the group opens up, if that fails to do the trick i get some foam down the barrel to clear the copper and then it takes about 5 shots to "foul" it up again and get on target.

Every hmr seems to have it's own quirks when it comes to cleaning, it is mostly a case of trial and error to see what works for you.but i have noticed that most people who have posted about cleaning a hmr have gone along the lines that you do not need a vigorous cleaning regime.

• 2 weeks later...

Boresnake to clean crud and protect bore after use. Rod patch and brush every 500 rounds.

My CZ 452 continues to shoot into a 5p at 100 yards with that regime :good:

I've seen an Anschutz .17HMR with barrel pitting from a guy who swore by never cleaning his rimfire barrels, cost a few quid to get it changed!

I clean my HMR every time I shoot no matter how many rounds fired never had an accuracy issue, I use a rod and patches + bore guide and Rifle craft solution. I bought a Bore snake I went to use it and thought better off it seemed to tight I didn't fancy trying to remove that from the barrel if it broke, each to his own.

Alan

There is a lot of history on this subject and everyone will have an opinion, IF the gun shoots and you never clean it, does it matter to you, well perhaps not, especially if you don't use it much, and we all have differing expectations and skill levels anyway.

Fact is the HMR is close to a centrefire, not quite as fast as some but copper coated, and there lies the potential problem.

Clean it properly and you will never do it any harm, leave it uncleaned (or clean it badly) and you will in the end.

Whatever, the HMR has only been available in this country just over 10 years, to date I don't know anyone who has destroyed a barrel, but did hear a tale on a forum about a keeper than had (I remain unconvinced), the choice is yours.

Personally, if you are going to clean it, do it carefully and thoroughly, and my feeling about Bore Snakes are X rated!

There is a lot of history on this subject and everyone will have an opinion, IF the gun shoots and you never clean it, does it matter to you, well perhaps not, especially if you don't use it much, and we all have differing expectations and skill levels anyway.

Fact is the HMR is close to a centrefire, not quite as fast as some but copper coated, and there lies the potential problem.

Clean it properly and you will never do it any harm, leave it uncleaned (or clean it badly) and you will in the end.

Whatever, the HMR has only been available in this country just over 10 years, to date I don't know anyone who has destroyed a barrel, but did hear a tale on a forum about a keeper than had (I remain unconvinced), the choice is yours.

Personally, if you are going to clean it, do it carefully and thoroughly, and my feeling about Bore Snakes are X rated!

'####,Just ordered a bore snake and another rod set,will have to do same routine as the .223 i had as i dont want pits.