Dog Breeding

Maldwyn

Hi, after some advice please about dog breeding. I have a 4 year old black lab dog which I'm so pleased with I've decided that I would like his progeny in the next 12 months or so. He comes from FtCH Sire and OFTW dam. He is un-proven and never been hip and elbow scored or eye tested. I don't expect to charge a stud fee as I only want a choice from the litter. Obviously I want to be selective in finding with the right bitch and thought about advertising him to stud .

Is it a requirement that he has to be tested for the litter to be KC registered or does it just reduce my chance in finding a suitable mating unless he's suitably tested and proved?

Just as you want to be selective in choosing the bitch as will the bitch owner feel about the sire. The only real answer is someone who knows your dog and also wants a pup. £500 will buy a lot of stud dog! I might take a similar route in another year or two but expect it will be a case of buying a bitch pup to train and then test etc.,etc.

Good luck just don't hold yer breath, shame a lot of real good shooting dogs don't get used in favour of trial winning dogs (which are not always the best choice for many a shooting mans dog)

no one with a decent pedigree lab would put it to an unscored stud simple as, at minimum it makes selling the puppies far harder and its not something you would do as a responsible breeder. You might find an unregistered bitch to put him to who is less picky but pretty much everyone knows hips are an issue with labs

If the dog came from a reputable breeder, they will usually have placed a restriction on breeding from the dog until all health issues with the breed have been tested for. You may have signed a contract to that effect. Meanwhile you feel you have a great dog, the product of responsible breeding and you feel no particular obligation to the breed to help improve breed health by testing your dog and basing breeding decisions on the outcome of the tests. Your dog is 4 years of age and presumably shows no signs as yet of health issues. You may well get your "pick of litter" pup from a mating with an untested bitch. If the pup develops health issues during its life you will not know whether they were inherited from sire or dam. The other pups may also develop problems but that is not your worry.

Basically your are advertising for someone with a like mind to come forward with a bitch.

Or you could go about it the correct way...

Just as you want to be selective in choosing the bitch as will the bitch owner feel about the sire. The only real answer is someone who knows your dog and also wants a pup. £500 will buy a lot of stud dog! I might take a similar route in another year or two but expect it will be a case of buying a bitch pup to train and then test etc.,etc.

Good luck just don't hold yer breath, shame a lot of real good shooting dogs don't get used in favour of trial winning dogs (which are not always the best choice for many a shooting mans dog)

what would the reasons be for a trial dog not to be the best choice for many a mans shooting dog?