Black Bacon

stumpy69

Stumpy, if you have any cure left from your earlier go's at making dry cure bacon, the easiest way to make black bacon is to apply the dry cure to the pork as per the instructions on the pack or if it's home made at the correct ratio and then literally apply a generous coating of black treacle or molasses over the top of eveything before vac packing or sealing in a ziplock bag. Then leave to cure for the appropriate time.

Another method is to dry cure the bacon, then apply the molasses/treacle after it has been cured and rinsed, then leave it to steep for 5 days or so.

Either way, it helps to slightly warm the treacle in order to rub it in to the meat.

Thanks Jonty. I bought the loin today and going to start it off tonight, I just use a homemade cure will need to check up in my wee book what ratios I used. Do you think I would have to significantly reduce or remove the sugar in the cure due to the treacle or will it not matter. Also to smoke or not to smoke?

the only bacon we eat in my house is my own smoked black bacon and last two packs in the freezer are reserved for xmas...... unfortunately i dont have a written down recipe .... i just get a full loin without skin and a full belly and i mix rough salt and mollases sugar in a bowl and cover the pieces all over, i then put it in the fridge turning every day for 5/7 days , then wash and put in front of a fan to form the pelicure and smoke it in the smoker for approx 8 hours

i know this aint much help sorry

. Also to smoke or not to smoke?

Now there's a question only you can answer :) I would/do as I think that there's somehting great about that molasses & smoke flavour. I've only made it a couple of times but I kept my salt & sugar the same amounts and just treated the molasses as an extra.