Anyone made a SMOKER

Lancs Lad

Would love to do some smoking of my own meats, but dont want to pay stupid money for a smoker..

Im in the process of redoing my garden, which will include a built in bbq etc....

Think it would be a good time to put in a "smoke house". Anyone ever made a smoker.......

Any images etc I would appreciate it.

Blimey.................thats big............might have to look at something a bit "smaller".....wonder what my fabrication friend can knock up...

There is an online fishing-outdoor company online "Askari" they do smokers of different sizes from about £30 i think last time i looked if you require something smaller :lol:

If i can dig out the link i shall post it for you.

LG

Here you go

Askari

LG

If you use conifers/evergreens you will regret it.I have never used it but all books etc say it is overpowering and in constant use will cause cancers :angry:

I keep a post office sack(white ones are thrown out and therefore you are helping re-cycle :good: )in my boot and when I see the council workies cutting trees down and chipping limbs I ask if I can have a bag or 3.

I have 2 bags awaiting the smoker as we speak,from the summer.

Conifers have turpentines in them I think. Nasty stuff. That's why nothing grows under conifer woodland. It's not the light levels as I once thought. Call me stupid if you want, but what do you make in a smoker? Can you make jerky/biltong in one, or is that not the same thing?

Conifers have turpentines in them I think. Nasty stuff. That's why nothing grows under conifer woodland. It's not the light levels as I once thought. Call me stupid if you want, but what do you make in a smoker? Can you make jerky/biltong in one, or is that not the same thing?

Not to worry it will burn well then :lol::lol: :o

I had LOADS of Shashlik in Russia and i am perfectly fine "i think" :lol:

Jerky i thought was made in the same way as Pemican? Hung to dry and cook in the sun? Difference being Pemican had Nuts seeds and berries crushed into it.

You can effectivley cook and smoke Beef if cut thin enough into a form of jerky :good:

There is a place just off the A1 near Morpeth does this. It's ran by an american bloke "really nice bloke" and the jerky is AWSOME :lol:

LG

You need to decide if you want a hot smoker or a cold one. Hot smoking (rough smoking) is basically cooking meat or fish over a very smoky heat source, whereas cold smoking is done at a much lower temperature for a longer time. Smoked salmon for example is cold smoked - the fish is prepared by steeping it in a brine cure, then smoked to preserve it and to add flavour. Cold smoking is more difficult and more time consuming, but if you get it right it can be very rewarding. Hot smoking is easier, and can produce excellent results - just remember it's cooking your food, not preserving it.