Whats the difference and your opinion please

hesky

Hello lads can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two cartridges and if you had the choice which one one would you use for general game shooting, ie pigeon,rabitt and hare.

The game bore as far as I have been told have diamond shot in them I think.

Cheers lads :lol:

Gamebore Special load 2.3/4" No6 32grm plastic wads.

Lyavale Express 2.3/4" No5 32grm plastic wads.

For pigeons etc go for 6's, 5's i use for high high pheasants and high pigeons.

Alex :lol:

Or low, low Woodcock eh :good::lol::lol:

Hesky

Personally I wouldn't use either Lyevale or Gamebore or though if they were the only ones available I would go with the Gamebore 6's gives best of both worlds in a No 6 ground and airbourne quarry. 5's bit heavy on Rabbit, rat, squirrell, crow, pigeon etc although ok for Hare (Head on shot only though, as I prefer 4's for Hare)

SS :P

Hay that wasnt a low woodcock, that was a perfect woodcock, it just happen to meet 36grm 5's.

I havent a clue why diamond shot doesnt kill game cleanly, there was an article in the sporting gun about it, ho and its been on here before too.

I think its because they are used mainly for clays n dont deform like lead on penetration.

Dont quote me on this though.

:lol:

Alex

Neither with Plastic Wads, horrible things. Pay a bit more for some fibre wads and stop polluting the countryside with plastic.

Lol My farmer likes plastics wads he saves them for bonfire night, thank's Im sure everyone else who uses plastic wads will take heed of what you said to lol

Gamebore Special load 2.3/4" No6 32grm plastic wads.

Lyavale Express 2.3/4" No5 32grm plastic wads.

Well one load has # 6 shot whilst the other has # 5 shot :lol:

G.M.

Thankyou but actually I did know that :lol: maybe I should have worded my post a bit more exactly, I should have asked has anyone used either of the said cartridges and found one better than the other, hope this helps you to understand my question a bit better. But try to leave the HUH bit out next time please I find that smilie rather offensive when all I did was ask a simple question.

Thanks to the other 2 lads though for the information :good:

If your farmer's so keen on you littering the place does that mean you leave all your empties for him as a bonus :good:

Why dont we just do away with lead shot, as how much lead shot gets fired over land and crops, is that not a bigger polluter to the enviroment than plastic :lol:

No, not in Sporting applications. I have never seen any evidence of any death or pollution caused by lead shot in normal Sporting applications. Plastic wads on the other hand litter the countryside, can be ingested by livestock and are a bad reflection on the people that use them's attitude to the countryside. There is no negative to using fibre wads other than a small price increase.

If your farmer's so keen on you littering the place does that mean you leave all your empties for him as a bonus :good:

Why dont we just do away with lead shot, as how much lead shot gets fired over land and crops, is that not a bigger polluter to the enviroment than plastic :lol:

No, not in Sporting applications. I have never seen any evidence of any death or pollution caused by lead shot in normal Sporting applications. Plastic wads on the other hand litter the countryside, can be ingested by livestock and are a bad reflection on the people that use them's attitude to the countryside. There is no negative to using fibre wads other than a small price increase.

I think you will find that from what I have heard that fibre wads can also be ingested by livestock and can be worse than plastic.

with regards to the diamond shot is it posible that the diamond shot doesn't crush on impact as it is harder and therfore goes on through the quarry and out the other side. i sure i know that this is why deer stalker use bullets that expand on impact to give off maximum amounts of energy. i think. :good:

Firstly can I ask does lead not pollute the land like, if you work it out one man firing 50 cartridges a week for one year then thats well over 185lbs of lead thats polluting the counrty side, from just one man. When it rains the all the water goes into the land and through the lead and into the rivers and streams what happens then, are we all not guilty of polluting the country side or is it just use that use plastic wads.

You are spot on, however I don't think you will find people willing to buy non-toxic for general shooting until (if?) the price comes down.

Plastics are a lot cheaper, they pattern better and offer better velocity but I won't use them for anything but clays (and even then only on commercial grounds that allow them).

Just because I do a little bit to help doesn't make me a hypocrite for using lead :good: I can do my bit can't I ? :lol:

For those people who have landowners and farmers who don't mind plastics being used then good luck to them, I personally wouldn't but I don't think badly of those who do. You make a decision and that's up to the individual, if you think its ok and your landowner doesn't mind - go for it.

Thankyou but actually I did know that :lol: maybe I should have worded my post a bit more exactly, I should have asked has anyone used either of the said cartridges and found one better than the other, hope this helps you to understand my question a bit better. But try to leave the HUH bit out next time please I find that smilie rather offensive when all I did was ask a simple question.

Thanks to the other 2 lads though for the information :lol:

My apologies Hesky, but it did seem a daft question at the time, and I was aiming for a little humour, which obviously didn't connect. :good:

Anyway I hope you got the answers you were seeking.

G.M.

Firstly can I ask does lead not pollute the land like, if you work it out one man firing 50 cartridges a week for one year then thats well over 185lbs of lead thats polluting the counrty side, from just one man. When it rains the all the water goes into the land and through the lead and into the rivers and streams what happens then, are we all not guilty of polluting the country side or is it just use that use plastic wads.

Lead is a naturally occuring element, plastic is not. Do you honestly think that if lead shot caused any serious environmental issues that it would not have been banned already. I live and work near to Kelbrook Shooting Ground where many thousands of cartridges a week have been fired for many years. There have been no environmental issues caused by this, all the flora and fauna still thrives there and the locals have not been wiped out by lead poisoning.

Lead is a naturally occuring element, plastic is not. Do you honestly think that if lead shot caused any serious environmental issues that it would not have been banned already. I live and work near to Kelbrook Shooting Ground where many thousands of cartridges a week have been fired for many years. There have been no environmental issues caused by this, all the flora and fauna still thrives there and the locals have not been wiped out by lead poisoning.

Ok then you seem as though your a person that knows it all so lets not carry this on anymore, it wont matter what myself or anyone else says you're just going to come back with we are wrong and you are right again. I only asked what the difference was lad keep ya hair on lol

with regards to the diamond shot is it posible that the diamond shot doesn't crush on impact as it is harder and therfore goes on through the quarry and out the other side. i sure i know that this is why deer stalker use bullets that expand on impact to give off maximum amounts of energy. i think. :good:

Thankyou Bobby :lol: