Rabbit stalking/shooting tips

Joshcup11

Just would like some tips from some more experienced air gun hunters. I have a hatsan 44-ten shot running at sub 12ft lb. Quite a good shot and capable of hitting the killzone on a rabbit. Just wold like some tips due to being out lamping and not being able to get close enough.

Thanks

Josh

get a scope mounted torch or lamp or ask for an NV unit for your next birthday, lamping is easier if the rabbits do not see the light!

i'll agree with that went to a feild where i work that i knew was crawling with rabbits but as soon as the light was on they all disappeared really tempted to get a cheap (ish) nv setup

Tips?

go out on windy nights, dont be afraid of rain as rabbits arent! avoid bright nights like a full moon and still nights. Always make sure the wind is in your face when stalking, get your self a compass and check weather report for wind direction and start at the farm accordingly so you can do a long walk/stalk. make sure you dont skyline yourself, keep against a hedge and slowly and surley move forward.lamp only a little at a time ie out to 50 yards a quick shine with the lamp if you see eyes switch right off, slowly stalk up then when in range switch lamp on and shine just below the rabbit and then i.d it and then if a rabbit take your shot!

Remember practice makes perfect, and dawn dusk sessions pay dividens and most of all enjoy it

Just would like some tips from some more experienced air gun hunters. I have a hatsan 44-ten shot running at sub 12ft lb. Quite a good shot and capable of hitting the killzone on a rabbit. Just wold like some tips due to being out lamping and not being able to get close enough.

Thanks

Josh

as well as much already mentioned above.......

Lamp Filters can help, there is no right or wrong answer here, or right or wrong colour, every site is different, but filters will always dim the lamp to a lesser or greater extent, not usually a problem at air rifle distances, sometimes useful if you don't have a dimmer...dimmers are VERY useful.

Keep away from aftershave etc as well when you are going out.

know your land, that is much easier to do in daylight, so get the lie of the land when you can see it.

Practice, perseverance and patience, and everything else I have forgotten! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Go out without your rifle and spend some time just learning the lay of the ground.

I was out last night on my shoot, no rifle/shotgun or torch and it was pitch black, its amazing how much different everything is in the dark.

Once you're absolutely comfortable moving around slowly in the dark and everything is familiar then you'll be on the same level as the rabbits.

Then its just a case of creeping up on the little *******.

Until you're entirely comfortable out at night then you'll just be a big bumbling human and even though you think you're being quiet the rabbits will hear you from a mile away.

Go out without your rifle and spend some time just learning the lay of the ground.

I was out last night on my shoot, no rifle/shotgun or torch and it was pitch black, its amazing how much different everything is in the dark.

Once you're absolutely comfortable moving around slowly in the dark and everything is familiar then you'll be on the same level as the rabbits.

Then its just a case of creeping up on the little *******.

Until you're entirely comfortable out at night then you'll just be a big bumbling human and even though you think you're being quiet the rabbits will hear you from a mile away.

good piece of advice

atb Evo

good piece of advice

atb Evo

Its worked for me.

It never ceases to amaze me how noisy humans are.

I was out the other day just enjoying the walk and I heard someone crashing through the woods, not making a noise on purpose but just walking without considering how much noise they were making. I never stopped moving and we crossed paths no more than 20yds away and I know for a fact he never knew I was there.

My 10yr old is a typical clumsy kid, trips over his own feet, reminds me of me when I was the same age and out with my dad.

When I take him out I'm watching where I put my feet and walking quietly and he's tripping over roots and yelping as he pokes his eyes on branches.

He was making that much noise trying to stay upright he missed two deer when we were out beating, he thought I was making it up that there were deer in the woods all around us because he hadn't seen them, a third one ran right at us and nearly knocked him over, so he didn't miss that one. :lol:

It takes time to get confortable in your surroundings.

If I went down to London now I'd stick out like a sore thumb for a few weeks until I got used to the pace.

Thanks for everyones advice! Been shooting the land for upward of a year now,but even when Im driving around and its dads turn to shoot he gets abit wary,thinking I don't know where the corners are! Its quite amusing to be honest!! :lol:

I think it's great a 15 year old is coming on here asking for tips to improve his game, much better than trying to blast them from a ridiculous distance.

Nice one Josh.

By two pennies - get a mate to hold the lamp :)

Thanks! I never take a rabbit at more than 30 yards with an air gun and 80 with a rimfire,and 80 is the very most if its ideal conditions! I know theyre annoying **** but they deserve to die Humanely!

Been looking into NV units and the NS50 seems like a good idea? Not that youll shoot anything more than 50 metres with an air gun anyway!

Thanks for all advice! Ill take it into consideration but guns in turkey at the minute! Faulty safety catch!

Josh

Josh - there's some good advice here (above). A shot warren is a lot more wary than one that has been left quite a while. Tho' the one's near me seem to get their confidence back a little bit if left a month or more. They also get to know the sound of your engine!

In line with what the other guys are saying I'd agree that when you arrive on foot give yourself 20 mins sat quietly somewhere to get the 'feel' of the place that evening. It calms you down and displaces all the commotion of turning up on site. Sound is a big issue whether it is from kit or footfall. Soft fitted wellies help over big lace up walking boots (applies as much to stalking too), and cotton/ventile/tweed over synthetic clothing any time. When moving in listen for a 'thwop' coming from the direction of the bunnies - if you hear that foot stamp it's their alarm and you've been pinged.

I guess the old rules of shape, shadow, shine, sound, smell and silhouette all come in to play. Covering up any pale hands and faces and looking around or through cover not over it.

As for NV with an air rifle.....I've a 750 which I've tried with an air rifle. To be honest because tiny range differences are so important for shot placement I find NV wipes out any awareness of range close in whereas a lamp keeps everything 3D. I'd tend to stick with a lamp.

1. windy night with it in your face

2. don't over lamp, get to were you expect them to be in range put the light on and shoot them, at most lamp once quickly in a single sweep over the field to locate and then basically stalk in. They rarely let you walk right in from 100 yds shining a light on them

3. filters only dim the light (which can be useful none the less)

4. go alone its twice as quiet

Dusk or dawn, work on your field craft move slow when stalking downwind when ambushing. Have fun and work on what's best for you.

Rabbits eyesight isn't actually that good but they will pick up on sudden movements. Smell and hearing is superb and just remember they survive being every predators dinner by recognising danger. Patience is key.

Thanks for everyones advice! Been shooting the land for upward of a year now,but even when Im driving around and its dads turn to shoot he gets abit wary,thinking I don't know where the corners are! Its quite amusing to be honest!! :lol:

Thanks! I never take a rabbit at more than 30 yards with an air gun and 80 with a rimfire,and 80 is the very most if its ideal conditions! I know theyre annoying **** but they deserve to die Humanely!

Been looking into NV units and the NS50 seems like a good idea? Not that youll shoot anything more than 50 metres with an air gun anyway!

Thanks for all advice! Ill take it into consideration but guns in turkey at the minute! Faulty safety catch!

Josh

I use the ns50 and it is a quality bit of kit. But it does make judging distance and issue if you don't have markers.

Me and my mate dressed up in a horse panto suit we stood outside the warren just picked em off all day .they thought we were a real horse .

Haha! My Dad has always advocated using horses for cover when lamping foxes. Good thing about horses is they don't seem bothered by gun fire at all but walk over a bit of plastic making it rustle and they go mental!

Thanksfor everyone's advice! Been out in the truck tonight,went alone as you said parked up and waited abit getting the feeling of wind direction ect!hadscan round and stalked in got within 20 yards!! Trouble is guns been sent off as safty catch was playing up. So just a reckey! Really helped!

Can't wait for gun to be back and go out after them!

Josh

Haha! My Dad has always advocated using horses for cover when lamping foxes. Good thing about horses is they don't seem bothered by gun fire at all but walk over a bit of plastic making it rustle and they go mental!

Err, you think! depends on the horse but many go mental and run into fences etc. Get ready to use you liability insurance or loose a permission if you practice this risky practice much :rolleyes: