pw 50 help

shotgun_tommy

Hi all got a pw50 at xmas for the kids. Problem is when first out on it it runs mint it also starts good.. once it gets hot it gets boggy and wont go. Im using synthetic 2 stroke oil and premixing it. I am at about 50-1 with the oil im wondering if I need more oil like 32-1 or s semi synyhetic oil. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

We are not on full throttle yet either.

Regards jamie

Its an older one about 95 but its just had new piston and rebore before I got it. We are not on full throttle as the kids are just starting out.. if the rings are expanding do I need more oil.

Thanks

Sorry the auto mix has been disconnected as the previous owner didnt trust it mixing. 50-1 is 100ml of oil to 5 ltr.

Hi all got a pw50 at xmas for the kids. Problem is when first out on it it runs mint it also starts good.. once it gets hot it gets boggy and wont go. Im using synthetic 2 stroke oil and premixing it. I am at about 50-1 with the oil im wondering if I need more oil like 32-1 or s semi synyhetic oil. If anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

We are not on full throttle yet either.

Regards jamie

id mix the oil 25-1 and give the engine time to cool down due to it been air cooled it will over heat in prolonged use. also lots of blipping the throttle will make it overheat quicker

50:1 should be ok but you could go to 40:1 . You have to remember once you remove the oil injection you putting the oil through the jets in the carb, so technically it's running just a little weak. I used to race Yamaha jet skis we always took the oil injection off as it's well documented they fail. Too much oil and it won't bed in. The problem is you don't know if it was put together properly , ring gaps etc. it may be an idea to pull the head at least and check the bore etc.

Or you you put it through a few heat cycles , get it up to running temp and let it cool down, then try it again. A two stroke is about as basic as it gets providing it's set up right.

I'd personally used a good oil not just a lawn mower one and run it at 32:1 125ml to 5lts at least you know it's getting enough good lubrication and check the spark plug and gap .....

I loved the smell of castrol type R !!!

Edited by mad1

I'd personally used a good oil not just a lawn mower one and run it at 32:1 125ml to 5lts at least you know it's getting enough good lubrication and check the spark plug and gap .....

I loved the smell of castrol type R !!!

Back to the OP he states he's using synthetic oil. Running it on mineral oil probably won't do it a lot of good

Thanks for the replys so far guys I am going to empty the fuel and start a fresh with 32-1 air filter cleaned and ready for next outing. I will also get some semi synthetic as apposed to the synthetic trials oilthat I use for my rev 3.

I am beginning to think that it is overheating and getting stiff in the bore ie starting to seize.

Any more info would be great

Thanks jamie

Thanks for the replys so far guys I am going to empty the fuel and start a fresh with 32-1 air filter cleaned and ready for next outing. I will also get some semi synthetic as apposed to the synthetic trials oilthat I use for my rev 3.

I am beginning to think that it is overheating and getting stiff in the bore ie starting to seize.

Any more info would be great

Thanks jamie

I've worked on 1/4 ie 1 in 4 for the last 30 yrs from my first honda 90 to stihl saws, are the fumes from the bike really sharp, and get you at the back of the throat, also is the smoke more white than blue ???

the fumes that the bike give of are more white than anything but not smoking all the time.

When I raced we used 33 to 1 in the bikes with no problems.

Also the carb may need a strip down , it sounds like its flooding itself when warm, its unusual for a bike to almost seize, they normally just seize solid once.

I don't know on the pw but some bikes have a on,off and reserve setting on the fuel tap(don't know if the pw has due to it being off road). Just have a quick look as it stumped my mate for weeks on his dt50 years ago LOL.

Personally I wouldn't be using a fully synthetic oil on a engine that had just had a rebuild as the extra lubrication does nothing to help the engine bed in. Also the rings need to be bedded against the cylinder, the only way to do this is by using load (read throttle) and vacuum (engine braking) although I think the PW50 is automatic so this may be problem, using low throttle will not do it any favours. When I rebuilt my Honda NSR125 RR I ran it in hard, 12 runs from rolling along to the red line and coast back down, leaving the engine cool inbetween, that made one sweet and powerful 2 stroke. Once I had run it in I then changed to Fuchs fully synthetic.

As somebody else has said I think your problem has been caused by removing the autolube system, this makes engines run lean which in turn makes them get hot and boggy. You need to take your spark plug out and see what story it is telling you......black and oily - rich, whiteish - lean, medium coffee - perfect.

You could also check the fuel system is breathing freely, run the engine for a few minutes then undo the fuel cap, if there is a sucking sound then there is a vacuum and the engine will be starved of fuel as it runs longer again making it lean.