.25 cal? pros and cons please

airarmsandy

Unless your throwing it at 60 plus ftbls power i wouldnt entertain it .my mates both had those koreas that look like over under shotguns ugly things in 25 cal putting out 80 ftbls and still the trajectory at 70 yds was stupid compared to my 22 fac airarms doing 28ftbls they drop like a breeze block .theres nothing that a 22 fac wont knock over in small game ,so why give yourself a headache with this pointless caliber

. A .25 JSB King at 47ftlb is leaving the barrel around 900fps, optimum speed for a Diablo design pellet. Your .22 at 28ftlb using a Bis' Mag' is probably a bit slower (haven't got CG installed at the mo' so I can't crunch the .22 numbers) So how did you see such a difference?

A .25 putting out 80ftlb (your mates gun) with a commercial pellet(unless using those useless Eun Jins) would be shooting it so fast as to make it totally unstable and very inaccurate. :no:

Edited by pabs

. A .25 JSB King at 47ftlb is leaving the barrel around 900fps, optimum speed for a Diablo design pellet. Your .22 at 28ftlb using a Bis' Mag' is probably a bit slower (haven't got CG installed at the mo' so I can't crunch the .22 numbers) So how did you see such a difference?

A .25 putting out 80ftlb (your mates gun) with a commercial pellet(unless using those useless Eun Jins) would be shooting it so fast as to make it totally unstable and very inaccurate. :no:

So what is to stop him using .22 at higher levels? Not that I see a lot of point in an airgun doing over 30 ftlb personally

So what is to stop him using .22 at higher levels? Not that I see a lot of point in an airgun doing over 30 ftlb personally

Agree with that, if you need much more I think its time for a .22 rimfire as they're so versatile from around 35ft lb up to around 200 ft lb. Just my opinion, but I'm not biased against airguns at all, I just think that over a certain power level a rimfire makes more sense.

Agree with that, if you need much more I think its time for a .22 rimfire as they're so versatile from around 35ft lb up to around 200 ft lb. Just my opinion, but I'm not biased against airguns at all, I just think that over a certain power level a rimfire makes more sense.

Its a big mental break for many brought up on air power, see it all the time! Once they get an LR it spends many years in the cabinet gathering dust. Niche tool, worthwhile up to a level and more accurate at 30 ft lb than caps / shorts etc. in the LR

I still use 12ft lb and FAC air as well as everything else, jobs still turn up for them, the 12 ft lb is my mainstay for internal bird work in supermarkets, shops, offices etc, the FAC air usually gets the loading bays and underground car parks etc.

As I said earlier every gun/calibre has a use for someone, but I don't need a .25 air, my .22 works for my requirements. :good:

That's what I've heard about the air Ranger 80. It's also right at the top of what the gun's internals are capable of, which doesn't help. Personally, I think the .25's best uses are sub 12 and short range. Massive trauma impact and much less danger of over penetration.