Northern Ireland shotgun sale

rwade545

Hi all,

Looking to sell my Beretta xtrema 3.5" shotgun that i got for wildfowling but have not used as much as i thought i would since picking up some alternative non toxic shells. Now as I live in N.I things are different regarding firearms and shotgun sales.

As far as I can tell I can trade it in at a gunshop are they can sell it for me on commission, or arrange to remove it from my licence and arrange transfer to another RFD as it would then be on their stock books.

Does anyone know the procedure for selling it privately? As far as I can make out it is

Agree on sale to person

Person has to then apply to have it added onto their licence with a letter from myself starting intent to sell.

Once granted to person they can collect and I then apply to have it removed from my licence.

Does that sound about right? The firearms branch here all seemed a bit confused when I asked them about it.

Regards

Hi all,

Looking to sell my Beretta xtrema 3.5" shotgun that i got for wildfowling but have not used as much as i thought i would since picking up some alternative non toxic shells. Now as I live in N.I things are different regarding firearms and shotgun sales.

As far as I can tell I can trade it in at a gunshop are they can sell it for me on commission, or arrange to remove it from my licence and arrange transfer to another RFD as it would then be on their stock books.

Does anyone know the procedure for selling it privately? As far as I can make out it is

Agree on sale to person

Person has to then apply to have it added onto their licence with a letter from myself starting intent to sell.

Once granted to person they can collect and I then apply to have it removed from my licence.

Does that sound about right? The firearms branch here all seemed a bit confused when I asked them about it.

Regards

Where in NI are you?

Thinking I might get a 12g 3" silver pigeon, have a 20guage silver pigeon and a 687 el so trying to keep the fit similar but at the same time use a sxs when game shooting in Wales with my uncle and find the double trigger difficult to get used to, but saves me the expense of flying with my gun, so might get a cheap sxs double trigger to try and get used to the triggers. Not sure really.

Agree on sale to person

FEB don't allow a firearm to be "owned" by two people at once.

You need to apply to have the firearm removed at the same time as the buyer applies to add it on.

The best way is that you and the buyer submit your forms to the same FEO and ask him/her to put it in with a linked application form. That way they should be dealt with together.

Are you intending to replace the shotgun in future? If so remember that if you take it off altogether without replacing it straight away you will have to pay £26 for a variation to add a new gun on in the future.

One advantage of going the RFD route is that they usually carry a stock of scrappers and will do a one on one of for you. This keeps the slot for a shotgun and in future you can do a one on one off removing the scrapper and adding your new gun.

Or can we sell one gun I.e o/u to a rfd and then buy a different o/u and get the rfd to put the serial num on our fac?

You can do a one on one off at the shop, as long as its the same calibre and type, for all firearms in N Ireland. The paper work can be done at the shop. They will sort it with the firearms branch.

The Justice (Northern Ireland) Act 2011

For some time a system has been in place to allow “one off – one on” exchanges of shotguns in Northern Ireland. From 1st December 2011 the system was extended to other firearms.

The exchange of rifles and pistols may only take place with registered firearms dealers (not between certificate holders) and firearms may only be exchanged for another of the “same calibre and type”. Prohibited weapons are excluded from the provision. Transfers must be notified to PSNI within 72 hours by both the firearm certificate holder and Registered Firearms Dealer

Edited by ordnance