Discount for serving or ex forces

welsh1

Cheers BB!!

Don't get me wrong I think anything related to their job then yep no problem them getting discount, but does a squadie who will go and happily pee a few hundred £££ up the wall at a weekend really need 10% off in WHSmiths? Does 20% off in costa coffee really make our forces that much better?

Not taking anything away from the job they do but it is the job they chose and I don't see the need for discounts. And for the record I did intend on joinng the army when I first left school but developed patellar tendinitis after partially tearing my petellar ligament playing football. By the time it had healed sufficiently I'd made a few wrong turns and taken a different route in life. maybe it's sour grapes I never got to join the club or maybe I just love dominos, who knows!

If it makes you feel any better about yourself there are plenty of establishments that are happy to throw discount at students but won't give squaddies a penny.

Nothing at all against squaddies but students are vermin!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has already been said they signed on the dotted line.

As for being sent away etc there are many jobs which require this - contractors

Working in woods in the freezing cold etc - again many other jobs require you to work in harsh conditions.

As has already been said they signed on the dotted line.

As for being sent away etc there are many jobs which require this - contractors

Working in woods in the freezing cold etc - again many other jobs require you to work in harsh conditions.

Not a lot of them require you to duck as you are being shot at :)

I was a Royal Engineer,here's a day at the office,and believe me building one of those bridges in fast time is extremely physically demanding.

Not a lot of them require you to duck as you are being shot at :)

I was a Royal Engineer,here's a day at the office,and believe me building one of those bridges in fast time is extremely physically demanding.

No one doubts how dangerous and demanding the job is our point is no one made you join up, you chose to join you knew the risks, how demanding it would be and what you'd get paid before you signed.

Do you think other people in high risk jobs deserve the same discounts? What about people who repair electric pylons for a living, oil rig workers or foundry workers all dangerous jobs where they risk their lives daily do they deserve the same discounts for just doing their jobs?

No one doubts how dangerous and demanding the job is our point is no one made you join up, you chose to join you knew the risks, how demanding it would be and what you'd get paid before you signed.

Do you think other people in high risk jobs deserve the same discounts? What about people who repair electric pylons for a living, oil rig workers or foundry workers all dangerous jobs where they risk their lives daily do they deserve the same discounts for just doing their jobs?

It is quite simple if you want the discounts, you could join up.None of the jobs you have mentioned above would require you lay down your life for your country.

It is quite simple if you want the discounts, you could join up.None of the jobs you have mentioned above would require you lay down your life for your country.

All of them jobs are dangerous and like the forces are a job people choose to do, barely anyone signs up because they have a deep yearning to fight for queen and country. Most just fancy the lifestyle, seeing the world some have little prospects so join up for a sense of direction and the promise of a trade, some just want to shoot stuff no one forces them either way.

As I've said I've no problems with forces getting discount on stuff that's gonna help them doing their job more safely or effectively, I just don't understand the need for non work related discounts purely for doing a job they chose to do. I'd rather hear these shops were donating cash to get our troops better armour, guns, equipment and more bullets than giving them cheap pizza and coffee. Fair enough retired lads living off pensions deserve all the help they can get, but do serving members really need money off in hmv?

All of them jobs are dangerous and like the forces are a job people choose to do, barely anyone signs up because they have a deep yearning to fight for queen and country. Most just fancy the lifestyle, seeing the world some have little prospects so join up for a sense of direction and the promise of a trade, some just want to shoot stuff no one forces them either way.

As I've said I've no problems with forces getting discount on stuff that's gonna help them doing their job more safely or effectively, I just don't understand the need for non work related discounts purely for doing a job they chose to do. I'd rather hear these shops were donating cash to get our troops better armour, guns, equipment and more bullets than giving them cheap pizza and coffee. Fair enough retired lads living off pensions deserve all the help they can get, but do serving members really need money off in hmv?

If you have never served then you will never understand.

The moment when your boss calls you into the office and tells you that in 12 hours you will be playing in the sand and to go home,the moment you tell your wife that you will be gone in 11 hours to a war zone and the look on her face as she holds your young baby in her arms,and then you are gone for about 6 months,writing home telling everyone that you are getting a tan and the food is great,because you don't want to let anyone know the truth.When you get back and everyone comments that you are no longer the life and soul of the party and you seem a bit withdrawn,"you've changed " is the comment most say.

To know that some people appreciate what you may have done by knocking off a quid here and there,is that to much to ask,do you really begrudge that to the military that are prepared to fight for you,are you so upset that you do not want military personnel that are prepared to go to foreign lands and on occasion die and more often get maimed, are you so cold that you cannot see that that they do a job on your behalf that could kill them.

Just an image for you to ponder.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/577/k768.jpg

Jeeze,.cannot honestly believe the above thats the sort of mentality that was predominant at the start of century till 1914 then after 1919 till 39 only thing you missed out on was the weak willed son joined the clergy ,IF nobody joined up voluntarily how long would it be before conscription was introduced? service people past present and future deserve the full support from us whether its discounts or anything else to show we back them to the hilt.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

there are some right ***** on here saying are troops dont need or deserves discounts if it was there son being shot at or standing on i.e.d.s they my not have such a problem with it.its are sons that are protecting this country why shouldnt they get discounts

anthony

Thanks for the heads up, I'm a vet so I'll take a look.

As far as discounts go for 'normal' people, there's loads of schemes where anyone who wants to can pay a fiver for a card and get discount. Go Outdoors for example.

Lots of gunshops offer discount to BASC, CA and SACS members. My wife used to get student discount and can now get NHS discount.

Just be grateful we've kept you safe all these years :ninja::whistling::friends:

there are some right ***** on here saying are troops dont need or deserves discounts if it was there son being shot at or standing on i.e.d.s they my not have such a problem with it.its are sons that are protecting this country why shouldnt they get discounts

anthony

So where does it stop then? Should we give troops lower borrowing rates, 20% off mortgages 50% off at clay grounds just for doing a job they went in to willingly?

Don't get me wrong I don't begrudge your son anything that will bring him home safer as I said above, but is money off at macdonalds gonna do that? Does he need it in the same sense he needs boots, a knife or other essential kit? Surely the money there getting off in discounts could be better spent on kit rather than burgers and coffee.

Would you rather your lad got money off in the high street or would you rather the shops donated money to get him better kit?

Thanks for the heads up, I'm a vet so I'll take a look.

As far as discounts go for 'normal' people, there's loads of schemes where anyone who wants to can pay a fiver for a card and get discount. Go Outdoors for example.

Lots of gunshops offer discount to BASC, CA and SACS members. My wife used to get student discount and can now get NHS discount.

Just be grateful we've kept you safe all these years :ninja::whistling::friends:

I've got a go outdoors card but that's also available to anyone in the forces who can be bothered to stand and give their details as are all the others you mention, non of them are offered specifically because of what job I've chosen to do which is the point I was trying to make.

A mechanic : danger or crush, amputation, liquid injection etc on a daily basis

A electrician: danger of getting fried plus all of above

A painter : danger of falling chemical burns etc

A plumber : danger of burns, gas inhalation etc

A fridge mech : gas inhalation, pneumonia, heights etc

A line worker : moving machinery, fork trucks etc

You get the point yet?

I think this will run and run

It's a very emotive subject

For arguments sake should the guy in the navy who is shore based or the paint sprayer in the RAF who is permanently based in the UK get the same discount as a guy diffusing IED's?

Nobody will win this argument but it's interesting to read the replies

You get the point yet?

A serving soldier: all the above,you get the point yet? ;)

I think this will run and run

It's a very emotive subject

For arguments sake should the guy in the navy who is shore based or the paint sprayer in the RAF who is permanently based in the UK get the same discount as a guy diffusing IED's?

Nobody will win this argument but it's interesting to read the replies

See post #17 no matter who it is in the armed forces they are all trained to a minimum standard and can be called upon to fight.

As I have said before,anyone is welcome to join the forces if you want the discounts :)

Edited by welsh1

I've singed up for my card so thanks for the tip off. Just look at how the serving and veterans are treated in the USA. It's slightly different to here so why begrudge a bloke a few pound of a pizza that he has been looking forward to for six months as dominos don't deliver out to there fob. If they paid money to the forces it would go to the government and be a set amount but give it as a discount and how many people in reality are going to use it? So it's a cheap way of them looking good and free advertisement

So where does it stop then? Should we give troops lower borrowing rates, 20% off mortgages

Just to make you feel better there are already schemes in place for serving military to borrow deposits at reduced rates,and I bought my property from the local authority,I had been living in it for just over 1 year and I was given a 48% discount on the property price!stunning views over the sea :)

Oh and to get the house in the first place I was put straight to the top of the housing waiting list as soon as I applied.

Here's the thing:

- the service men or women get a little something for nothing and feel valued by society.

- for most buisness it's an imperceptible cost worth so much more in PR terms.

- the majority of the general public feel better about themselves because they associate themselves with these businesses and feel that it's generally a good thing therefore they also enjoy a sense of well being and satisfaction.

- the mean spirited members of our society get to grumble and feel resentful which is in itself and somewhat perversely an enjoyable experience for them.

It's win win all round!

At the moment the UK's military is experiencing an unprecedented wave of support, mainly due to media and celebrity endorsement following 14 years of violent conflict (please, no debates on the rights or wrongs of said conflicts). I suspect this will soon fade and the Armed Forces will be viewed with the sort if disinterested contempt that was evident in the 70's, 80s and 90s.

Our American cousins still have an immense pride in their country and a faith in their abilities, hence the unwavering support for and pride in their Armed Forces.

You get the point yet?

All jobs/occupations carry a risk of injury :yes: but some occupations carry more risks than others :yes:

You get the point yet? BB

Edited by Bluebarrels