Eye dominance and hushpowers

spready

:/ you got it bad.....

To be honest, it's not a problem. I have found a solution that works for me. I didn't like closing/dimming one eye just prior to shooting as the sight picture suddenly altered and I had to readjust, almost inevitably missing. If I forget my shooting glasses I'm a bit stuffed but tend to have a roll of scotch tape in the gun slip pocket and most grounds sell cheapy glasses. Bit more of a problem in the field...but I leave a clear pair in the truck all the time now so worst case scenario is a trudge back to the truck. That was a lesson learned the hard way!

This ^^^ is what I do. A small triangle of Scotch on the inside of the shooting glasses lens which obscures the rib and bead when the gun's mounted, however its clear of your vision when your heads not on the stock giving you decent peripheral vision. I use it on clays and in the field with reasonable success.

:stupid:

Have done this for years. Just put something small/big enough to do the job that'll just hold in place on one side of the lens and move it about until it's in the right place and then match it with whatever you're going to use on the other side. The best bet is the permanent fix on the inside and Tippex is good as you can start off too small and gradually build it up without having to cut out countless slightly bigger/smaller bits of whatever.

One tip, as it's going on your left eye, never try to reverse the car looking over your left shoulder with them on - you'll see - or more precisely, you won't!

Edit: PS. Don't forget to check the 'overhead' mount as you'll probably find there'll be a slight adjustment necessary.

Edited by wymberley

When you have your spot worked out in the glasses I've roughed them up with a dremel so it can't fall off.

Really do feel for you my eye dominance changed very quickly and I could hit anything for awhile ended up getting a mate who coached with me to have alook 30 mins later it improved but for 2 years it was a massive fight, mine has slowly moved back to just right of centre now and I can manage it. Nowhere near as gooder shot as I was 7-10 years ago mind.

What is the resistance to shooting from the shoulder that matches the dominant eye? It's not difficult! No faffing with glasses tape eye patches squinting, both eyes open give your self the best chance of a kill!

I am right handed, and my hand eye co-ordination is still very much right hand biased, trying to hit a ball with a racquet in my left hand is very difficult and completely unnatural. I have no desire to learn how to shoot again. I still have full peripheral vision, the only part blocked in normal sight is overhead and I don't feel it contributes significantly to the birds I miss or don't see.

Edited by -Mongrel-

I am right handed, and my hand eye co-ordination is still very much right hand biased, trying to hit a ball with a racquet in my left hand is very difficult and completely unnatural. I have no desire to learn how to shoot again. I still have full peripheral vision, the only part blocked in normal sight is overhead and I don't feel it contributes significantly to the birds I miss or don't see.

I agree with you there mate, but i think it might be something i have to do :/

Rather than buy 'off the net' Can I advise that you take a trip to your local gunshop. You need to try the glasses on in the shop, preferably whilst mounting a gun. It took me a while to find glasses that either had no top frame or nose piece that impinged on my vision. I settled on some Browning glasses that cost me a tenner a pair from Premier guns. I ended up with 3 pairs of different lens colours, but they have been very good. I have also found the Napier range to be good at 20 quid a pair, especially the sunglasses, although they are a pig to store and carry. A small piece of surgical opaque tape fitted on the left lens, by a second person, whilst you hold the gun mounted in to your shoulder should do the trick. Just as an aside, I have known peoples 'master' eye to switch whilst shooting, usually due to tension.

When the second person fits the tape what do they have to look for. Do they simpley lone the bead up with your pupil???

I'm left eye dominant right handed and a beginner and I use some tape. I did start off with just a small dot but I found the left eye will look round it if my glasses have moved only a tiny bit.

The bit I have on now is just smaller than a 5p which seems big but it does the job.

Learning to shoot left handed is not impossible but is a real pain having to change the gun cast in the stock or have to find another gun.

The faffing is minimalist, it is a doddle and an assitant is not needed at all. It can be easily done by the person in volved and most who do it regain the right eye as the brain has no choice.

Shooting left handed is pampering the symptom. Most folks brains can be corrected. It happened to me and I am glad I did not rush out and change all my guns for left handers!

U.

Shooting left handed is pampering the symptom. Most folks brains can be corrected. It happened to me and I am glad I did not rush out and change all my guns for left handers!

U.

It's not pampering the symptom if you are properly left eye dominant rather than slightly left biased, I am totally left eye dominant and always have been! I have always been right handed.

If you were once right eye dominant you can probably train it back, if you have never been then its probably less likely.

I guess I was lucky I got good advice early on and put the time in. I am 100% certain changing shoulders was right for me!

It's not pampering the symptom if you are properly left eye dominant rather than slightly left biased, I am totally left eye dominant and always have been! I have always been right handed.

If you were once right eye dominant you can probably train it back, if you have never been then its probably less likely.

I guess I was lucky I got good advice early on and put the time in. I am 100% certain changing shoulders was right for me!

I agree....it sounds like it was best for you :good:

U.

I agree....it sounds like it was best for you :good:

U.

It's part of the forum issue if we could see the OP we would have a chance of offering appropriate advice. I was skeptical at the beginning "my posts" on the subject are still around (embarrassingly so)....

As an example if I point my finger at the corner of the room and swap eyes the finger moves a foot! to the left with my right eye compared to my left/both eyes and its only 6' away

It's part of the forum issue if we could see the OP we would have a chance of offering appropriate advice. I was skeptical at the beginning "my posts" on the subject are still around (embarrassingly so)....

As an example if I point my finger at the corner of the room and swap eyes the finger moves a foot! to the left with my right eye compared to my left/both eyes and its only 6' away

Absolutely and as they say oop Scotland `na bothaa` :good:

U.