Recommend me a reel for BIG cod

hedd-wyn

I'm off to Norway in April for some arctic cod, wolfish, coalfish and possibly a halibut fishing.

Initially we were going to hire rod and reel once over there but after discussing with the lads the other day we decided that we would take our own kit over.

So does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Heddwch

For that sort of Budget I would agree with oscarsdad .The daiwa slosh 30 will come in at under £100 the Penn a bit over , both good reels and both will do a job over here and both easy to sell on if youdont want to keep them .[/quote

If you are fishing for serious sized cod and Halibut in Norwegian waters all you'll get is smashed spools and bits of plastic in the bottom of the boat. Besides they don't have the line capacity either.

I have to say, I destroyed a SLOSH30 in fairly short order. IMO they are adequate for inshore reefing and light wrecking, but not deep wrecking with big baits and big fish.

I love the Penns and have 3 525's for heavy beach work, and I've used a 535 for wrecking but once gain, I'd be concerned using it at 100metres plus on a 40lb cod.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Hi

If your boat fishing out there it's line capacity you need mate and fast retrieve with a good gearbox

Email your charter skipper and ask what they're using give you a better idea

Big penn one piece spool ( my choice ) don't compromise trip of your dreams for a extra £100 on a reel and decent rod

Have a good trip

All the best

Of

id go with either the penn 330ld which is a quality reel as this is what I use or id go with a Shakespeare fulmar lever drag which I also have and its got a great capacity spool

both my reels are loaded with power pro 80lb braid

and rod I use is a fladden Maximus one piece 50-100lb class