Squirrel Question

Theskyfox

Squirrels can be very tough little beasts! I've headshot several and found them not killed outright straightaway, nothing wrong with the shot placement either! Now when I shoot them I pretty well instantly reload and am prepared to stick another one in straight away if it doesn't stop moving pretty quick.

The pensioner's situation is something we don't know much about? It sounds likme he was pretty incompetant in shooting a trapped, caged animal at close range....... but who knows what his relationship with his neighbours might have been? He might have been a completely victimised, nice old doddery pensioner with evil hateful neighbours just waiting for their chance to get him on something? Or he might have been a cantankerous old *** who revelled in upsetting people? Who knows???

Squzzers in traps are real s**s to shoot at close range. They tend to dash about like mad. In our area (garden) squirrel traps are only really successful at catching hedge pigs. Not bothered with the traps - RWS Superdome .22 14.5grain generally drops them first time, but follow up with the old coup de grace if there is any doubt. The old gent in question made a hash of it his sin was leaving a dying, but breathing squizzer which as others have said is not a good reflction on the majority.

People argue about the grey area of the law regarding shooting squirrel on your own property, to my mind it's entirely legal if you have the permission(it's yours anyway) and you take account of the animals despatch properly, and ensure the pellet doesn't leave your boundary blah blah.....

What is foolish is to make a bad job of it, and have no concern for your neighbours sensibilities! My neighbours are fine, but I don't shoot squirrel on the weekend, or if their kids are around, and I remove the body pronto!

Many youngsters who join our Archery club, don t even realise we have a 'Native Red Squirrel.

They just think a Squirrel is a Squirrel. A cute , fluffy cartoon character type of animal, :sad1: But Grey.

Trouble is the parents are just as unaware. You probably have to go back two generations

to find someone who has seen a Red Squirrel, or is even aware they are exist.

Nowt to do with topic , other than a comment.

Many youngsters who join our Archery club, don t even realise we have a 'Native Red Squirrel.

They just think a Squirrel is a Squirrel. A cute , fluffy cartoon character type of animal, :sad1: But Grey.

Trouble is the parents are just as unaware. You probably have to go back two generations

to find someone who has seen a Red Squirrel, or is even aware they are exist.

Nowt to do with topic , other than a comment.

Out of curiosity which part of the country are you talking about?

The old boy in the article should have checked it was dead rather than going shopping. And if he can't hit a squirrel in the head from 2" he shouldn't have an airgun.

Of course he should have made sure it was dead, I believe he thought it was, that of course was the main issue in that particular case!

Shooting a caged squirrel is not easy, even from 2", ask anyone who has tried to dispatch one, and they are tuff if you don't deliver it to the right spot! :yes::good:

Of course he should have made sure it was dead, I believe he thought it was, that of course was the main issue in that particular case!

Shooting a caged squirrel is not easy, even from 2", ask anyone who has tried to dispatch one, and they are tuff if you don't deliver it to the right spot! :yes::good:

O.K. I'll ask myself then as I've dispatched a few. Doesn't take 5 shots however tough they are - if - as you say - you deliver it to the right spot. Looking at those x-rays he was never close. :good:

Edited by walshie

• 2 weeks later...

Before moving back to the IOW I took a squizzer out a tree with a head shot it fell 30 odd foot onto its head received a follow up shot and when I went to grab it the f@&!&r jumped up and pegged it to the base of the next tree. A third shot dispatched it. Checked him to see if he was wearing a crash helmet and there 3 well placed shots on his head. I ran my rifle through my chrono to check power and all was good. Put me off taking them for a while, mainly because he caused pant stainage when he jumped up. Don't have to worry now as we only have reds here. Double hard little **** and when I do venture to the mainland I always give a follow up shot.

Iv hit one in the head and then when to pick it up and it bit me so I use a grab rod now just to be sure lol

On the farm we have bulk blower feed trailer and if the sheet is not put over it the squirrels climb up and eat the duck feed that has spilt on the top,sometimes they drop in the trailer and cannot get out ,its got smooth slides.one of the Polish boys on the farm jumped in (we told him not to) picked up the young squirrel and started stroking it.it bit right through the side of his finger and hung on.best laugh we've had in ages.

Yes, they are very attached to their coats aren't they?

Nice flavour and texture though once you get the little varmint out of their jacket! Elvis Presley was very fond of Southern Fried Squirrel!

Wow didn't see this post - haha that's the best fact of the day - will be telling anyone who cares that :-).

I find that the tussle with them makes them taste all the better as you really had to work for it.

I have started baking them in foil for a long time on low heat which makes them like pulled pork.