Barf feeder - Sheffield

MadDogLady

Our dog is fed on the barf diet, they should have long bones as part of the diet but also don't forget the vegetable side. We make veg and offal patties but also as a variation brown rice and mackerel in oil goes down really well once or twice a week.

I'm very impressed with how our dog is doing, she's lean, well muscled and fit with clean teeth and glossy coat....I wouldn't want to go back to dried complete dog food.

Out of interest why not snared ?

Azzurri.

I don't believe snared is humane

A correctly set snare kills instantly, the rabbit family all have a weak point in their neck. Sure sometimes it goes wrong and they get their front legs through or if snared in the fence lines etc they hit the snare with no real force but I have never failed to recover one injured rabbit from a snare and they tend to sit tight until you walk up to them (biologists often use a running snare for capture and live release purposes of other creatures). I cannot say I have never lost a wounded rabbit after being shot even with a good gundog. Remember you might be feeding a fair amount of toxic lead to that dog. Better not to assume or be lead by the uneducated anti, snared or ferreted / netted bunnies are the best for you dog , so its perhaps better not to beg and choose?

We use our local butcher for bones,chicken carcasses and meat trimmings. It works out about £2.50 a week for breakfasts and dinners :)

You can also buy raw minces from pet food suppliers, chicken,lamb,tripe,beef and also chicken necks. We keep them in a freezer in the garage :good:

The Barf Diet is a high protein diet but you must give 40% fruit/veg/offal mix :yes:

Its all in Dr Billinghurst's book. You can also google 'Natures Menu' :)

If i was to feed my dog anything that was shot i'd want it to be 100% lead free as lead is toxic and damaging to teeth :oops:

Road kill is definitely not on our menu, how do you know it hasn't been tampered with ? :ninja:

I'm not into snaring anything either...not my scene :no:

Azzurri.

If you just feed meat you will damage you dog, it wrecks their kidneys! you will also find your dog starts eating unusual plant type foods all on its own. I stopped raw feeding because it certainly does lead to bugs, especially in the warmer months. I do still do raw beef bones

I keep my dog meat in a freezer, defrost a days meal at a time. It's in a plastic air tight box then taken out and fed to said dogs.. How does that go off and give dogs bugs.

I have had ratting terrier tear open rats and eat them, and never in 15 yrs had a dog go down with a stomach upset

Much depends on were the meat came from, how its been handled and also what type of meat. It is well known that raw chicken straight from the butchers or supermarket can contain salmonella etc. I pose I slightly different question, what is lost if it is cooked besides a lot of the risks? Contamination and cross contamination is something that anyone involved in meat and game handling should be well aware of, still personally I had two instances here so I decided to stop raw (with the exception of beef bones).

If you really don't think there is anything bad in raw meat and it has nothing to do with type of meat, try eating raw or undercooked pork and chicken. Seriously you wont last long before you get seriously ill or worse, dogs have a stronger system but non the less are not immune

Dog can not and will not get salmonella end of mine have raw chicken carcasses every week and various other raw meat and bone

How were dogs fed 200 years ago or did dogs not exist back then or maybe they lite fires to cook there food first

The biggest problem with the barf diet is people who haven't go a clue what there talking about chatting **** which puts people off feeding it it's the best diet for any dog and does not need to be cooked (cooking any bones will kill your dog) or handled in any different way that meat for human consumption

Another point look at what dogs pick up in the mouth when on walks iv seen dead maggot infested rabbit picked up by a dog also look at dogs that eat **** did it make it ill not at all am sure if we done the same we would proberly of been in hospital for a few week so comparing us to dogs is ridiculousness

Dog can not and will not get salmonella end of mine have raw chicken carcasses every week and various other raw meat and bone

How were dogs fed 200 years ago or did dogs not exist back then or maybe they lite fires to cook there food first

The biggest problem with the barf diet is people who haven't go a clue what there talking about chatting **** which puts people off feeding it it's the best diet for any dog and does not need to be cooked (cooking any bones will kill your dog) or handled in any different way that meat for human consumption

Another point look at what dogs pick up in the mouth when on walks iv seen dead maggot infested rabbit picked up by a dog also look at dogs that eat **** did it make it ill not at all am sure if we done the same we would proberly of been in hospital for a few week so comparing us to dogs is ridiculousness

I am speaking from direct experience of two instances of infection from raw. The infections they do not suffer from are furthermore passed through their skin / hair and slobber to humans on contact :sick: think on if you have kids especially as cooking will do them no harm if you use any water / gravy produced

Anyone wanting to find out more about the barf diet would be worth buying the book a dogs dinner by ann Richards and not listening to some of the rubbish written on this site

Do you mean " The Dog's Dinner" by Ann Ridyard?

I have no connection with it, it's just that I couldn't find your recommendation as listed above.