Update on the FAC application.

kipper

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Just thought I'd wake this post up because it's been another three months and still no sign of it! ???

Hell on wheels :lol: have you not had it yet..:no: I've had mine and done my mentoring, got my variation and almost completed the terms of the variation for the .222 :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be doing this in another 3 months? How can it take so long? They really are taking the p***, but what can you do? If I'm in the pile with all the others, they must have waited this long too. I've decided on my variation for Deer now, I was hoping I'd have some experience before I asked for it. My shooting ability is moving faster than the firearms team can work thanks to some helpful guys off of here and at the gun club. I've got my first Deer stalk set up for the end of the month, and don't even have my own rimfire yet let alone a centre fire! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get hold of someone in the firearms dept today. Still no sign of my ticket, but I had a really good moan and I've been told it should be with me within a week. Now, whats the chances do you think? Only seven months gone, I really hope it gets here soon :rolleyes:

I started this thread and I too had forgotten about it. :lol:

what the **** have they been playing at for this long? Its A joke mate :lol:

Im thinking of putting in for my open ticket now I have used a couple 1'000 .22 rim rounds.

I am sorry to hear aboput this njc and I hope you receive yours soon mate :o

all the best

Kipper :P

I don't usually agree with digging up an old thread, but it seemed to be a good addition to it and a single post record of my progress. I'll post here when I recieve it too, although there may be more moans to come before it does! I'm glad you other guys are doing well with your shooting. I've had a lot of help from Drovers who takes me out with his guns, so I'm gaining experience to throw at them for my open cert before I've even got a closed one! I also plan to put in a variation for a 6.5mm swedish for Targets, Fox and Deer. As soon as it hits the door mat, I'm buying a HMR and my ammo limit then throwing it back at them for more guns. That will probably p*** them off more than a little bit, but a lot changes in seven months doesn't it :D

I don't usually agree with digging up an old thread, but it seemed to be a good addition to it and a single post record of my progress. I'll post here when I recieve it too, although there may be more moans to come before it does! I'm glad you other guys are doing well with your shooting. I've had a lot of help from Drovers who takes me out with his guns, so I'm gaining experience to throw at them for my open cert before I've even got a closed one! I also plan to put in a variation for a 6.5mm swedish for Targets, Fox and Deer. As soon as it hits the door mat, I'm buying a HMR and my ammo limit then throwing it back at them for more guns. That will probably p*** them off more than a little bit, but a lot changes in seven months doesn't it :D

Do you adopt the (Call them every other week to see how things are?) I mean I can understand people not wanting to do this in the first few months, but after seven months its beggining to take the **** abit.

How far have they got with the application, im guessing you have had your visit etc etc. Did they tell you that you would need a mentor?, or did they just go back without any of that

• 1 month later...
I got a phone call today from the head of the firearms department. They've admitted they've lost my application. I have to go through it all again - home visit, land check, photos, countersignatures etc. Could things get any worse? :lol:

:lol: No way! That's shocking! I'd put a note in and ask for the new one to be fast tracked considering the circumstances with the last application.

did they lose the cheque you sent them.

No, they lost it later than that! As I said, I've done all the visits and land checks. Looks like I'll have to do them again :lol:

I'm pushing for a quick job, and they'd better help me out this time! Not that I can do a lot if they don't :lol:

Thats exceptionally poor service,and they`ve admitted it. They should make amends by sorting the problem themselves ASAP. I dont normally advocate complaining too hard when it comes to these issues. A polite enquiry is all i would do.However, I would consider an official complaint to the chief constable in this case. Its just incompetance.

I wouldn't complain to the CC just yet as this will do nothing but agitate them, Its truly atrocious that they have gone this long before admitting fault - As if you were just going to forget it ever happened. If I were you I would contact the bank and trace whether the original chq you sent has been cashed, if it has then you have some case to battle in getting the new application fast tracked.

I think if you start to complain they will just turn their back on you and your app will go in the pile with the rest, but if you adopt the attitude that everyone makes mistakes and you show them understanding I think they may be a lot more forthcoming in helping you out :lol:

I was fairly understanding on the phone, but did state fairly strongly that I hoped they would be sorting out my second attempt a lot more quickly. He said they would push it through for me as quickly as possible, so I will give them a month. After that I will do everything I can to make their lives as **** as possible. I can do understanding, but I don't take kindly to having the p*** taken out of me. There's only so much patience i can be expected to have, and that limit is getting pretty close.

These things do happen. I can't say I've never screwed up a job I've been doing for someone. What I do know though is that if I do mess up like they have, I always make sure the job is done as fast and as well as possible the second time. That to me means they should be aiming for the best turnaround time talked about on here, ie days not months!

The plus point to all this is that I wont need to do a variation, because the second time I'll be asking for everything I want. I can get the 6.5 added to it for club use, along with a section 1 shotgun for practical and pest control (hopefully).

Its gone way past worrying that you might upset them. How poor does it have to get. I think njc110381 has the patience of a saint.

Bottom line is they are admin staff paid to do a clerical job. They will have performance targets set. If these are not achieved then they are answerable to a higher rank.

Any complaint recieved about this will clearly be seen as valid. The situation will be rectified and the certificate sent. Any attempt to hold up/slow down etc on subsequent applications/variations(although i think it would be unlikely they would do it)should be complained about too.

Although the common held belief is not to upset them, they are there to do a job and are accountable higher up. As long is your complaint is presented in a polite, sensible way, and the complaint is not unreasonable. It will be sorted with no repercussions.

Andy.

• 1 month later...

Yet another wake up call for this post, just had the second home visit. I phoned up an hour ago saying I've got a stalk booked for next week and needed to get things done, got a call back five minutes later and everything is being sorted in a serious rush now. It's funny how the mention of lost money due to following their instructions gets them moving. I needed the stalk for my Deer condition and it was booked months ago, so it's up to them to get a move on now.

I must say that for the first time in ages I'm really impressed with (and grateful for) their organisation :good:

I've spoken to them again this morning and to get around the land check issue they're going to give me an open certificate under the supervision of my mentor. It does mean that for now (very short term) I can only use my rifles when supervised, but under these conditions I can shoot my 6.5 on uncleared ground too! Once everything has settled down and I've been out a few times all the calibres will be changed to cleared land only, which suits me fine for now. Maybe I can talk them into letting me keep the rimfires open and hold the Deer rifle with mentor condition for longer? It's all give and take, and if we're both happy things will be better for the future. I'm pretty p****d off about the whole situation of having to wait this long, but there aren't many of us who can say we've never messed up. I can't hold it against them :good: