ESS itchy ear

tlennox

My 7 year old ESS is scratting one of her ears quite badly, is there anything I can try before I get shafted at the vets for something I can buy elsewhere for a couple of quid. I'm not to tight to take her to the vets I just want to see if it's something I can sort at home first, cheers.

Edited by tlennox

look in the ear if there are deposits of a waxy looking substance and a musty smell its possibly ear mites and can be treated easily with readily available over the counter products, if its red and or inflamed it could possibly be an infection and will need antibiotics, this may be caused by grass seeds or a trauma of some kind, dog scratching its ears,bramble etc.

Edited by paulus

You are being tight, take the dog to the vet.

It could be a number of things from ear mites to a seed down its ear.

How can you treat a problem unless you know what it is for definite

If you could identify the issue, you could likely fix it but it needs the vet if your not 100% as you might make things worse

• 2 weeks later...

I had a cocker with the same problem starting shaking his head from about one year ear old smelt really bad loads of brown stuff. Had him at the vets on average every two months same stuff clean put the drops in average 50 quid ago he lived to about thirteen still had a minging ear must have spent about two millions pounds on vet bils My point is if not sorted within a year give up with the vets buy the human stuff from the chemist and keep cleaning save yourself a fortune.

Another vote for Thornit.My springer had a bad ear and it's throat lymph gland was badly swollen as well,which was probably the immune system working overtime Vet prescribed drops which didn't clear it up and then wanted to do biopsy. Got some Thornit powder and everything was cleared up in three days.

surolon - its from the vet but not that expensive treats everything in ear , use it short term 5 drops each ear for 5 days usually works , i always have one in stock about £15 a bottle , i use it on all 3 dogs .

when ear problems flare up i just popped into my vets ( granted i,m registered with them ) and ask them for another bottle , no probs