Two questions ??

cpaulc

After a bit of advice.

So I have two fields that are separated by a grass field and a line of woods so you can't see between fields, both are being hit by pigeon. I arrived late (11am) and there were some feeding on one. I had a wonder around and they flew off. So I waited to see if they cane back at all, but they just seemed to hop to different woods for the remainder of the afternoon.

My question is, do you think they may have already had their fill and weren't too bothered to feed again?

Also, how to choose which field to set up on? (granted it would probably benefit from two guys shooting, so i'll be asking the land owner)

Cheers

Get there earlier than 11am. have a reccy, see where their flightline in and out the woods to the field is. Do you intend to decoy them or sit in the wood. and shoot? Pigon will have a break during the day to digest thier food. depending on the time of yr and available crops, they will go off the boil around about lunchtime and get back on later in the afternoon, though that's not set in stone also the wood may be excllnt for roost shooting?

Good luck mate! :good:

C.P.

They would almost certainly had a decent feed by 11am , especially if its on rape , they will then do the off and sit in a wood for a good while and digest it before repeating the exercise

If they are in a big bunch it will be almost impossible to make a decent bag , best to get there for first light and bag a few as they come out to feed.

I would set up with wind off my back , so when you shoot and spook them they will come on in to wind also it would keep them out of the trees. So you need to chose the the rape which is the windward side of the two. If you shoot first light you might get a hectic hour or two then they will move off the pastures new. If you set up later morning they may well have fed and gone to digest and return individually in the afternoon. You have to remember its not a precise science but your supposed to enjoy it. The other thing is if you stuffed yourself with cabbage what would you do for the next hour or two?????????????

Guest rimotu66

. The other thing is if you stuffed yourself with cabbage what would you do for the next hour or two? ???? ???? ????

Trump..................................A lot :lol:

Edited by rimotu66

I would set up with wind off my back , so when you shoot and spook them they will come on in to wind also it would keep them out of the trees.

Yep, with you, so the sound travels down wind and spooks them to help keep them out of the trees and moving.

I'll let you all know how it goes, its half term and I've got nothing better to do other than sit in fields with a gun and a spaniel.