.410 reloading help please!

Hi all, this may have been covered at some point but all help is appreciated.

I've reloaded 12g for a few years but I've just bought a .410 hushpower and I'm struggling to find data.

I'd like to load subsonic carts I have 3" new primed cases they look like cheddite but I'm not sure.

Which powder to use? Alliant do 410 powder but I can't find any in the north east. Is there a load using red dot, unique, blue dot or modern vectan A0?

Thanks in advance.

If your using a hushpower chap I'd suggest using fibre wad recipes.

For 3" with sp3 powder you can use 15 grains of powder and 17 grams of lead shot with a 15mm wax cork wad. (This is from a clay and game data sheet)

Currently I'm using a 3" case filled with 15.2 grains of 2400 under 21grams of shot with a 12mm cork wad with great effect. (This is from a member on here)

I am sure the powders that the OP listed are way too fast for 410.

The old favourites are H110, N110, Alliant 2400 and lil'gun.

Sub sonic shot loads are tricky in 410.

It is a (for a shotgun) high pressure cartridge. Trying to not develop to much shot crushing pressure and just enough to be useful needs powders of around magnum pistol powders. Going to slower powders can give poor ignition and faster powders pressure spike risks!

U.

I am sure the powders that the OP listed are way too fast for 410.

The old favourites are H110, N110, Alliant 2400 and lil'gun.

Sub sonic shot loads are tricky in 410.

It is a (for a shotgun) high pressure cartridge. Trying to not develop to much shot crushing pressure and just enough to be useful needs powders of around magnum pistol powders. Going to slower powders can give poor ignition and faster powders pressure spike risks!

U.

Many think the .410 weak but your point is worthy of some note higher pressures than a 10 ga because the pressure produced is contained in a smaller space, not a gun to be silly with

There is no data by Alliant about Bluedot and 410 loads! Be careful!

I love blue dot but have a lot of respect for it, due mostly to nearly blowing a primer pocket on a Hornet once, just .2 of a grain increase did it!

U.

That's why I said 10 grains and 14 grams of shot nothing else!!!!!!

as snarepeg says it has been used for over 20 years

Deershooter