pocket watch values

Lord Geordie

Hi chaps!

I have been having a rummage through long forgotten dark corners and crevices, and found a few pocket watches!

Anyone have a rough value to these please? They are all modern pieces! 2 skeleton style and one bog standard.

The two skeleton ones are top wind, and the standard is key wind.

Pics to follow. I need the funds to convert my loft!

post-1762-0-67015300-1394231447_thumb.jpg

post-1762-0-01196500-1394231497_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lord Geordie

I can't find any details on the other two!

The first is a Chronograph with moon phase and it all works (not just for show)

I did find a Rethyo one which was broken for £3.99 for spares! Didn't know it would have been so cheap!

I think I may get more for the key thats used to wind it :lol:

You can always tell by just looking at the movement for a watch that will be worth more. Not sure what you may already know about winding or automatic movements, but the 'bearings' on which the gears, rotor and mainspring sit are known a Jewels. They are often purple in colour, expensive watches use lots of these.

Also the gears on them watches have no working marks, I think they may be machine cut

I got a lovely silver on about 2.1/2" dia it was made in 1911 and kept perfect time I had it in my pocket for about three years just had to wind it every morning it only cost about £40 then the bloody main spring broke they wanted twice as much as it cost to make a new spring for it.

So I decided to get another one I found a nice one on ebay and got it again about £40 and it keeps good time but I did not check the size when I bought it and it turned out to be only 1.1/2" dia so I do not use it as the reason that I got one in the first place was so that I could see the time without putting my glasses.

I had an old wrist watch some years ago I do not no where it came from but it was a rectangular silver one with beautiful works with lots of jueles it was probably made around 1910. I sold it with a load of old silver coins that I had hanging around and got next to nothing for it something that I have regretted ever since my advice to anyone would be if you do not need the money never sell anything made of gold or silver as its value can for the most part only go up.

I have one presented to my Great Grandad by the townsfolk for winning the MM in the First World War,

Doesn't work and have been told its not worth repairing as it has corrosion inside on some of the bits,

It's engraved to show who it was presented to and why and by whom

Will never part with it

Incidentally we also have a silver rose bowl engraved and presented by the same

:shaun:

My dad has collected them for years, most are junk in terms of monetary value, but if you respect the engenering that go into the design then there quite fascinating, I have an 1860s chronograph based on a fuzee movment. It's not worth much but I like it.

But sadly many a time the scrap value of the case out ways the watch value and the chains value is way more again, times will kill off the pocket watch for a second time as they are ripped up and melted down.

I have one presented to my Great Grandad by the townsfolk for winning the MM in the First World War,

Doesn't work and have been told its not worth repairing as it has corrosion inside on some of the bits,

It's engraved to show who it was presented to and why and by whom

Will never part with it

Incidentally we also have a silver rose bowl engraved and presented by the same

Drop it in oil for a few weeks and then strip it down de grease and put it back together. You will be surprised what works again ;)

Seen my dad do it so many times.

watch003.jpg

Some of the mechanism

watch002.jpg

Face

I will put a pic of the inscription up tomoz

That'looks like a fuzee movement pal that will be half the problem there is a tiny chain that gos round a pulley to regulate the balance. If that's rusted up it will not be going anywhere.

That'looks like a fuzee movement pal that will be half the problem there is a tiny chain that gos round a pulley to regulate the balance. If that's rusted up it will not be going anywhere.

I put it into a watch repairer,

What he said was that it wasn't rusted up, some of the balance things?? Had corrosion marks meaning that it might not keep true time due to being out of balance?

Sorry Lord Geordie for hijacking your thread

What he said was that it wasn't rusted up, some of the balance things?? Had corrosion marks meaning that it might not keep true time due to being out of balance?

It's a Watch thread :D

Don't worry about it :good:

Rite ow I get you. The balance wheel is the big wheel with little pegs coming off it it has a tiny spring ontop it's the first thing you see. I wouldn't worry about it keeping perfect time pal keep using it as that's the best thing for them :)

It looks a nice watch and with the sentimental value it should be used :)

I will ask my dad next time I speak to him if there are any other options for you :)

All the best

Karl.

I must say that it puzzles me quite why people buy these reproduction things when if you like old pocket watches you can get nice working hundred year old silver ones under £50 ok if you want something special they can cost quite a lot of money but I would rather have a more common watch that was made over a hundred years ago than some cheap imitation of something that I could never afford.

Not a watch but I have a ships clock that I got from my dad, long since stopped working and would probably cost more to put right than its worth.

Case is heavy brass but was painted over by some idle steward not wanting to polish it. Supplied by Ainsley of (I think) North Shields. Came off S.S. Fireglow a North Thames scuffler operated by Stephenson Clark (carrots on the funnel) when it was scrapped.

My dad was bosun

Rite ow I get you. The balance wheel is the big wheel with little pegs coming off it it has a tiny spring ontop it's the first thing you see. I wouldn't worry about it keeping perfect time pal keep using it as that's the best thing for them :)

It looks a nice watch and with the sentimental value it should be used :)

I will ask my dad next time I speak to him if there are any other options for you :)

All the best

Karl.

Thanks for that :good:

It seems to me like its been overwound,

It doesn't run at the moment :(

Not a watch but I have a ships clock that I got from my dad, long since stopped working and would probably cost more to put right than its worth.

Case is heavy brass but was painted over by some idle steward not wanting to polish it. Supplied by Ainsley of (I think) North Shields. Came off S.S. Fireglow a North Thames scuffler operated by Stephenson Clark (carrots on the funnel) when it was scrapped.

My dad was bosun

I have a ship's clock that was going to be thrown out as it had broken. I replaced the original workings with a quartz movement with suitable hands. OK it's not original but it lives on the sitting room wall and tells the time. Plus, I know its provenance.

Paint is easily stripped from brass and the clock will look better for it. It's just that you will now have to polish it!

Reference the Elgin watch (back on topic), I have one of those, it was my grandfather's, he bought it while living in Detroit during the depression. They can be bought quite cheaply on the Bay of E so you could buy one to cannibalise. I'd never part with mine, sentimental, I wear it with a three piece suit for weddings & funerals and it keeps time for the few hours that I need it to.

Reference the Elgin watch (back on topic), I have one of those, it was my grandfather's, he bought it while living in Detroit during the depression. They can be bought quite cheaply on the Bay of E so you could buy one to cannibalise. I'd never part with mine, sentimental, I wear it with a three piece suit for weddings & funerals and it keeps time for the few hours that I need it to.

I like that idea,

Will they all be the same size?