What is it with some people...

Ricko

What is it with some people...

I don't usually judge people, but yesterday I met an idiot.

I decided that I wanted to buy a Mantis tiller (imagine a 2 stroke powered egg whisk with chopper handlebars) to use at the allotment between rows of vegetables. I confess I am a lazy gardener but that is not the point.

So unable to justify a new one I looked on that notorious internet auction site and found one that was 30 minutes drive away, so I rang to arrange to go and see it.

Now I'm not an expert on 2 stroke engines, I had my first motorbike (Yamaha DT50M) 30 years ago but in the last month I have rebuilt 3 Stihl TS350 cutters, so I know my way around them.

Get to the guys house.

He shows me the tiller, "I had it running last week, it works fine" (this guys an idiot)

"Can I see it running?"

"Oh I've no fuel, but it was running last week" (this guys an idiot, and he thinks I am too)

I had brought some Aspen with me (it's a synthetic fuel, ready mixed, and doesn't go off)

"What's that?, Oh you can't put that in there"

I patiently explained that this is what I run all my chainsaws etc with, I showed him the ratio 50:1 on the container, ready mixed 2 stroke fuel.

He refused to allow me to try to start it, so I politely bade him farewell.

He rang me twice whilst I was driving home. He had rung a friend and thought the fault was "air getting in the tank" (Don't ya just love it) and he had sprayed some wd40 into the plug hole and it had fired. When I rang off he was going to cut up some slippers to make a rubber gasket for the fuel cap.

I have to laugh, but this guy was a first class idiot