4x4 Tyres

Mini Magnum

BFG muds are not too bad on the road, unless its greasy then they become interesting, I have 265/75/16s on the Disco.

I was out in a defener on similar sized all terrains recently, and as long as you dont go into any deep mud they are fine.

Whats the best tyres for road/offroad use mainly travelling 30 mile on motorway to my shooting spot then onto muddy wet fields? Would BF Goodrich AT's be anygood or would MT's be better...

it's all about compromise M M

more aggressive tyres better off road ability,,,,simple

the trade off is increased wear on tarmac and a deafening drumming and vague handling at speed on the road

so unless you spend a lot of time on the dirt go for the A/T's

and yes the B F Goodrich are an ace piece of kit

I'd say that as long as the fields are fairly flat, BFG A/Ts should be ok. If they are more steep in places, go for the muds. Pirelli scorpion muds are supposed to be better on road than most mud terrains, so may be worth looking at if you plan to road drive more at any time? Be careful on wet roads with mud tyres, they really don't grip as well as a road tyre and you need to take it a bit steady on corners/braking distances!

On my 4x2 ranger I jacked it up and put 235x75 - 15 M/T back and A/T front as most of the estate vehicles although they are 4x4 BUT on the road they are the same as me running in 4x2. A/T are ok cornering fairly quiet but the M/T on the back are noisy, ok in the wet but don't push them.

I have a pair of spares with A/T on so for long trips its A/T all round.

Mud is a technical subject, the eskimos have 50 types of snow we have 50 types of mud. High clay content and all tread types fill, there is no magic tyre. On the shoot afew weeks ago the 101 landy and the ex-army 4 tonner got stuck - two tractors got stuck pulling them out and the third tractor tipped over.

One trick is a pair of snow chains great in mud BRINDLE CHAINS, they are more effective than M/T but you get covered in cr-p getting them off. :good:

MM firstly it doesn't sound like you do that much off roading, more road work yes? If that's the case you'll go through the best off road tyres pretty damn quick using them on road. Given the type of travelling you do I'd opt for a good road tyre that also isn't so bad off road. A compromise I know but you're unlikely to wear out road tyres off road.

I'd also say this...driving off road on farmers fields should ONLY be done with their permission. DO NOT think you have a right. If you're lucky enough to have field margins on your permissions treat them with respect and remember farmers (probably) getting a payment for leaving them like that BUT he can loose some of that payment if those margins are overused. Certainly in our area it's been so wet of late that driving off road is a real no no, not because the vehicles can't do so but the mess it makes isn't going to win you any friends! If using tramlines to access fields then only do so when a) you're not gonna plough up the ground and :good: when the crops are not high enough to get damaged by the underside of your vehicle.

On my 4x2 ranger I jacked it up and put 235x75 - 15 M/T back and A/T front as most of the estate vehicles although they are 4x4 BUT on the road they are the same as me running in 4x2. A/T are ok cornering fairly quiet but the M/T on the back are noisy, ok in the wet but don't push them.

Mud is a technical subject, the eskimos have 50 types of snow we have 50 types of mud. High clay content and all tread types fill, there is no magic tyre. On the shoot afew weeks ago the 101 landy and the ex-army 4 tonner got stuck - two tractors got stuck pulling them out and the third tractor tipped over.

One trick is a pair of snow chains great in mud BRINDLE CHAINS, they are more effective than M/T but you get covered in cr-p getting them off. :good:

Landrovers dont get stuck,

its more a failure to proceed :blush:

Landrovers dont get stuck,

its more a failure to proceed :lol:

I aggree one unit went across a ploughed field then trying to extract it x3 larger tractors got bogged down and a 101 + a 4 tonner = anything goes stuck.We have alot of springs on the estate = everybody gets caught out sometime. Sunday afternoon is a bad time they all switch there phones off. My tip is to walk the section first, as I'm only using a 4x2 its surprising how far I can get, chains get me out of most jams even with road tyres + driving down greasy banks = no stearing, but I have been off roading and M/X + trails riding for 40 yrs, you get pretty good are 'reading the ground' :blush:

Also try Cooper's tyres - save yourself a bundle, but if you do go with your original make the A/T's are excellent.

There are also few online tyre companies aroundnow too which have franchise garages to fit them for you or just deliver the tyres to your door...generally REALLY cheap for branded tyres. I've used them for car tyres, you'll have to check them out for 4x4's though. I think one of them was blackcircles.com