SKB Light restoration and age query

CaptainBeaky

I've just bought one...

Actually, the one on Gun Watch last weekend.

Bought as a doer-upper, so cheap!

The query is, does anyone have an idea how old it is? Chap I bought it from said he had had it 15 years, and his wife's uncle had owned it before that.

Serial number starts L160xxx.

As advertised, the wood is tatty. The wrist has a longitudinal crack at one side, and the cheeks have been repaired badly.

Mechanically, it is very good - the action looks like new inside, and the barrels are ok for their apparent age. Bluing is showing it's age, and there are a couple of little dings, but all the difficult bits are ok, so I'm pretty happy with it.

It's now in bits, and I started the restoration work on the stock this evening, scrubbing it in soap and washing soda to remove all the old oil, especially from the head, which stank of old mineral oil. After two washes, the whole thing is a different colour! Another couple of washes between now and the weekend, then into the turpentine bath with it.

Pictures are being taken... :)

Thanks

All it says on it is "Light".

Single trigger non-ejector, pistol grip and splinter fore end, so I would guess at a variant on the model 100.

Weighs in at 6 lb 9 oz.

I'll have a look at the proof stamps tomorrow if I get the chance.

Edit: splinter, not bt fore-end.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

My dad bought an SKB light s/h in about 1975, the bluing was quite worn then so I'm guessing it was mid 60's. I'm sure it was made in Japan

SKB are Japanese (only recently stopped making guns) BSA imported them and badges them as BSA, I have a BSA (SKB) 200E i inherited from my grandfather it is mid 60's IIRC.

Amongst proof marks are codes enabling one to determine the date of manufacture of many guns. Sample photos of their layouts are at the bottom of the page.

Birmingham, England: date code letter placement:

1921 - 1941: Letter at top of intersection of crossed swords. Number of dots beneath to indicate inspector.

1950 - 1974: Letter at left of intersection of crossed swords. B at right. Inspector's number underneath.

1975 - 1984: Letter inside upper left of circle. B at upper right. Inspector's number at bottom.

1985 - 1997: Letter at left of intersection of crossed swords. C at right. Inspector's number at bottom.

Letter is A to Z but does repeat.... As long as you know decade ish you can work it out

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

Just checked an mine is 1966

Edited by HDAV

• 1 month later...

OK, some photos, if anyone's interested :blush:
Apologies for the poor quality of some of the photos - some were a bit of an afterthought, and all were taken with my phone!

The stock was in rather poor condition: multiple contusions along both sides of the lower edge .
SKB_01.jpg

Top of left cheek cracked away and repaired badly - the wood used appears to be ash, and the gaps were filled in with red Hermetite sealant. Yes, seriously!

SKB_02.jpg

Close-up of damage to edges of stock

SKB_03.jpg

Dotted lines show position and length of cracks in the head of the stock:

SKB_04.jpg

Left cheek with old oil finish removed - the ash sticks out like a sore thumb.

SKB_05.jpg

Removing all the oil, grease and dirt made the cracks even more obvious, and bigger than I first thought:

SKB_06.jpg

There was a crack running two-thirds the length of the fore end as well.

SKB_07.jpg

And there's more...

Fore end iron stripped and cleaned...

SKB_08.jpg

... and re-assembled, and the cracks glued up.

SKB_09.jpg

After two weeks in the turpentine bath:
Right stock cheek pinned and epoxied, with the old repair to the left cheek removed.

SKB_10.jpg

New piece of walnut glued and pinned in place, held down with earthing tape while the glue sets. Good stuff this tape - slightly stretchy, so it's easy to build up the clamping pressure gradually.

SKB_11.jpg

And set, prior to removing the tape residue and shaping the new piece.

SKB_12.jpg

And shaped to the original profile. OK, my attempt at matching the grain was a bit off the mark, but I'm learning this as I go along!

SKB_13.jpg

Fitted to the action - again, I'm not entirely happy with the fit along the vertical surface:

SKB_14.jpg

But the profile from the top looks OK

SKB_15.jpg

A piece of horn from the Box of Useful Items became a pistol grip cap - cut to size:

SKB_16.jpg

And fitted and blended in, also removing the damage from the bottom of the pistol grip. Must re-do the chequering as well. The white marks on the bottom of the cap is figuring within the horn.

SKB_17.jpg

Re-finishing started - after one coat of oil.

SKB_18.jpg

And finally...

SKB_19.jpg

SKB_20.jpg

SKB_21.jpg

If you've got this far, thanks for looking.

More thanks to Daf and Gordon for the walnut.

You may note that there are no photos of my practice attempts at working the walnut - I have drawn a decent veil over these... :rolleyes:

At some stage, I will have to re-do the chequering on the pistol grip where I had to remove the damaged wood, but that is for another day.

Total spend, excluding the gun, is about £40.

Edited by CaptainBeaky