.357 magnum owners assistance required.

Albert 888

I am looking at getting a .357 magnum leaver action, but don't know much about them. So what choices do I have and which will be best for me.

Its going to be used for 25m indoor and 100m outside target work with open sights. What capacity do they hold and do I go short barrel or long, round or octagonaI. Would like it to be fast and easy to load also. will be home loading for it after I have gathered enough brass together.

looked at the Rossi, Remington, Marlin and used a Winchester I think.

I will need dies, for loading magnum and special, I hear one of the dies does both but again I cant remember which one, and which powder, primers and heads are best and most economical. Sorry for all the questions but I you don't ask you will never know.

Cheers Albert.

Marlin used to be the ones to have but I think they are now owned by Remington and just got added to the gremlin production method. Have a look at Henry Kranks stuff. I bet there are a stack of nice second hand ones about

Blackburn indoor range had a lot of this going on look them up as they also run a shop, you might be able to test any they are selling

Edited by kent

Marlin used to be the ones to have but I think they are now owned by Remington and just got added to the gremlin production method. Have a look at Henry Kranks stuff. I bet there are a stack of nice second hand ones about

Blackburn indoor range had a lot of this going on look them up as they also run a shop, you might be able to test any they are selling

Cheers Kent. Just been surfing the net, older Remington and marlin are looking best at the mo. Rossi 20" will hold 10+1 and the 24" is 12+1. I am gathering info as we speak.

Marlins are the best lever action as they can tricked up for competition work and are generally very reliable,but new ones are now made by Remington and full of bugs so opt for an older model if you go this route.

However,i have a Winchester 94AE (angle eject-so it can be scoped) because i specifially wanted a Winnie and didnt want the chunky Marlin.Some people gripes with the Winchester is its quite slim/narrow and almost looks like a BB gun compared to the Marlin,but hey each to their own and i like it.The magazine holds 10 rounds plus one in the chamber.You can get carbine versions which have a much shorter barrel and reduced mag capacity (i think they are 6 rounds).

You can also get the Legacy model which has a slightly different grip-almost a pistol grip and has very nice engravings on the wood-Underdog on here has a fine looking example.

Rossi's are fine,but try to avoid the stainless steel versions as they appear to have a common trait of not cycling ammunition correctly.Their problem is the rounds pop out of the tubular magazine and slip under the shell lifter instead of on it-then you have to disasemble the rifle.For some odd reason it only happens on stainless versions and not blued and dont ask me why cause i dont know! Some dealer a while back was selling 2 of them for an absurdly cheap price due to them not functioning.All Rossi's are top ejecting (they make the 92 model) so be prepared to loose brass or learn to catch!

Reloading-Buy 38 special dies because they will load both 38's and 357,but 357 dies will only load 357.

Ammunition wise-Magtec nickel coated brass is good quality and reloads well.A nice accurate load for 25 to 100m is 9 grains of 2400 powder a CCI small pistol primer (not a magnum primer) and a 158gn hard cast round nose flat point bullet (RNFP).Only pushing around 900fps.

Or do the decent thing and buy a proper one, a nice Henry Big Boy http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/big-boy/

Superb piece of quality engineering and design, doesn't need the action running in for a few thousand rounds, springs changed or bits polished and filed to make it run silky smooth.

I like them but they are above my pay grade:'(.

I like my Winchester 94 lever gun, but mine is in .45

The issues you MAY find with a Winchester are that the 94 action was designed around longer rifle cartridges.

THE action to look for is the 92 - available from Browning & Winchester as the Model 92.

I think the Rossi is based on this style too

For a 357 I went with an Italian revolving carbine - it took me long enough to track one down !!

I chose the Rossi 92 for my lever action in .44 Mag. Paid £425 brand new from the local gun shop and I've never looked back. Yes the wood isn't top notch and yes the sights do need a little fettling but it's a solid reliable gun. Our club has a mix of Rossi's, older Marlins and the odd Winchester.

Edited by Livefast123

Albert....what are these Remingtons you speak of??

I personaly am not a Marlin fan. I carry my levergun a lot and I don't like how a Marlin carries, that's it. Nothing wrong with them apart from the latest offerings under owner ship of Remington.

The Uberti 73 actions are proving to be very good but expensive. Pedersoli are now doing leverguns too.

Kranks sometimes have some second hand leverguns in....may be worth a call.

Cheap shotgun powders will do what you want for ages. My small game load is Green Dot @5.7grns for about 1000fps.

Oh, I am a Win94 nut, yes it was designed around a longer case but I don't care. They slick up well and **** don't get trapped in them.

There is no best levergun, they are just like any other rifle.....they can have you scratching your head just the same no matter who made it!

Good fun they are....my 22 hardly gets used since I got mine!

U.

well I have been after a marlin for ages but went on holts website I saw what looked to be in good condition winchester 94 now i have been after a 444 or 30-30 and this thing looked ok and worth a punt, it turns out to be the same age as me and looked like it had been shoved to the back of someones cubard and forgotten the bore is spotless, everything is original and i have since found out it was only made for a couple of years so is better valued than a standard 94, just ordered some ammo and tommorrow night i will see how it fairs this is to be my tracking rifle and driven game gun. I spent this week ironing out the dings and oiling the stock and its looking really sweet, pics to follow, good luck in your search,wayne