Political parties stances on shooting/hunting/field sports

OJW

My thoughts too. Let's see if any of he others have replied once I get home from work.

Well that's a load of EuroSpeak. Yes, I support what my european masters tell me, and as long as it's ok with them it's ok with me.

Hopefully he hasn't a large majority?

Tom

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoffrey van Orden - Conservative.

Thank you for getting in touch. As a long-standing member of the Countryside Alliance, living in a rural community, please be assured that I strongly support the full range of country pursuits, including shooting sports.

Yours sincerely,

Geoffrey Van Orden

I have already emailed the local candidates asking for their stance on shooting sports!

I am still waiting for a reply!

I contacted

Labour, Judith Darling "Neutral" and Paul Brannen "PRO"

Conservative, Martin Callanan and Ben Houchen

LibDem, Angelika Schneider "Neutral" and Owen Temple "Neutral"

UKIP, Jonathan Arnott and Richard Elvin

Green Party, Shirley Ford. "ANTI"

I will report back if I get a reply!

First response using the BASC online form...

Thank you for your email regarding my views on shooting sports ahead of the forthcoming European Election.

Whilst I am a Vice President of the 'Parliamentary Intergroup on Animal Welfare' I am also a member of the Countryside Alliance and have never withheld the fact that I am a supporter of shooting.

I received an email from Christopher Graffius, Director of Communications for 'The British Association for Shooting and Conservation' earlier this year and also informed him of my support for shooting sports and the work that the BASC conducts to support countryside conservation every year.

PS: I would like to point out that many other of my Conservative colleagues are keen shooters themselves.

In addition, I would just like to inform you that the upcoming EU elections are based on a list system and I am placed 1st for the North West. I am also delighted to announce that our Number 3 is Kevin Beaty, a dairy farmer from Cumbria. I am proud that are we are the only party to have a candidate who has worked for many years in agriculture, and we are working very hard to have him elected.

I would be grateful if you could pass on this information to as many friends and fellow shooters as possible as I represent a very large area of over 7 million people.

Best Wishes,

Jacqueline Foster MEP

Conservative MEP- North West England

Deputy Leader of the Conservatives in the European Parliament

Latest reply.

Dear Mr

I am strongly in favour of people's rights to pursue Field Sports.
We owe so much of our beautiful countryside to Field sports.
As an MEP, I am also on the Bureau as well as being a member of the intergroup you cite.
Very best

William Dartmouth UKIP MEP.

Thats 2 strong positives and 1 ok.

A couple more this afternoon...

I am a farmer and stood in the European elections to support the countryside. I am the only farmer who is standing in the NW.

I go shooting on my farm and fully support you.

I hope that you support me and Vote conservative in the coming elections.

Kevin Beaty

I am sorry to say that if re-elected I do not expect Chris will be able to join any intergroup because of time commitments in Parliament on his key areas of the environment, green job growth and EU reform. However if you have any questions you would like him to raise in the European Parliament on your behalf he is of course happy to consider any query you might have.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact Chris.

With best regards,

Danny Langley | Political Officer

Office of Chris Davies MEP

North West Liberal Democrats

Replies i've had so far

Member of the European Parliament Mr Stuart Agnew MEP (EFD/UK Independence Party) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive

Member of the European Parliament Ms Vicky Ford MEP (ECR / Conservative Party) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive

Member of the European Parliament Mr Geoffrey Van Orden MEP (ECR / Conservative Party) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive

Candidate in the European Elections 2014 Mr. John Flack (Conservatives / ECR) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive

Member of the European Parliament Mr Andrew Duff MEP (ALDE / Liberal Democrats) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive (but fluffy)

Candidate in the European Elections 2014 Mr. Andy Monk (UKIP / EFD) Constituency UK - England, Eastern Position on shooting Supportive

all UKIP and Conservatives are strong supporters and members of the CA.

don't forget to forward any replies you get to politics@basc.org.uk

edit: Just got the same reply as Penelope from Duff

Dear ........................

Thank you for your email requesting my views on shooting sports.

The UK rightly has some of the most stringent gun laws in the world, and has been largely unaffected by the pan-European rules which have been put in place.

I do not shoot or hunt but I will not vote to stop responsible and law abiding shooting sports.

I hope this clarification of my personal views is helpful and if I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Sir Graham Watson MEP
Liberal Democrat Member of the European Parliament for South West England and Gibraltar

The Liberty, Old Kelways, Langport TA10 9SJ www.grahamwatsonmep.org.uk

Twitter: @grahamwatsonmep

The European Elections are on 22 May 2014

Nice positive and honest one from UKIP...

Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent email, addressed to Andy Monk. I am replying on his behalf.

Right now, our candidates are being inundated with requests to support or sign up to a wide variety of policies and causes. It would be impossible for them to properly research, fill in the questionnaires and/or sign up to them all and still have time to do any campaigning!

However, on this particular subject, I can confirm that we do strongly support shooting sports. Our current East of England MEP is a shotgun owner and has actively campaigned against the EU's efforts to involve itself in the manufacture of ammunition, which would make it much more expensive to buy. Our Party Leader has recently said in an interview that he believes that the ban on handguns should be lifted for 'responsible' owners who keep their guns in locked cabinets.

I hope this helps you in making your decision.

Sincerely,

Stuart Gulleford

Regional Press Officer

UKIP - East of England

Office of Stuart Agnew MEP

UK Independence Party

145 New London Road

Chelmsford

Essex

CM2 0QT

Tel: 01245 266466

Fax: 01245 252071

Email: ukipeastadmin@intamail.com

www.stuartagnewmep.co.uk

www.ukip.org

Had one response so far from the Green Party (!)

"Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxcx

Thank you for your email.

I cannot answer the questions you pose merely with "Yes" or "No". If shooting sports take place then they should do so according to law and best practice and I fully support people being able to shoot at inanimate targets such as for Olympic sports or clay-pigeon shooting. My personal opinion and the policy of the Green Party is, as you'd expect, very much in favour of wildlife conservation, the improvement of bio-diversity and the sustainable production of food from sources as local as possible and with high standards of animal welfare. However, neither I personally nor the Green Party supports the shooting of animals for pleasure or sport, nor the breeding of animals for this purpose.

Purely on a personal level I would rather small numbers of indiginous species, as long as the population was healthy, such as wild duck, for instance, living a natural life in the wild, be shot for the table, rather than farmed intensively.

Kind regards,

Sue Mallender, European Election candidate for the Green Party, East Midlands constituency (2nd on list)

07788 736468

Twitter @Sue_Mallender

www.rushcliffegreens.org.uk

Published and promoted by Philip Sainty for Nottingham Green Party, both at 135 Trent Boulevard, West Bridgford, Notts NG2 5BN"

bunch of guff from Labour...

Many thanks for taking the time to write to me in the run-up to the European Elections. As a Labour Party candidate I am confident that, because we work together and develop joint policy positions with our sister parties in Europe, I will be able to have a real and positive influence on European regulations and the political direction of the EU. This does mean, however, that I cannot simply support particular campaigns or manifestos without having discussed it with my colleagues first.

Who we send to the European Parliament matters for British families and for the British economy. Members of the European Parliament can deliver real change to ensure Europe works better for Britain.

Over the coming 2 weeks Labour candidates will be campaigning on a policy platform that includes ensuring the EU delivers growth and jobs, tackles the cost of living crisis, and protects workers’ rights.

Labour MEPs and candidates will also highlight their record of standing up for hardworking families, protecting our NHS, and taking on the energy companies and the banks - unlike the Tories in Brussels who have fought for bankers’ bonuses and backed big tobacco firms.

The detail of Labour’s policies for these elections has been set out in our European Elections Manifesto. You can view the full manifesto here:

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/editor/files/LABOUR_PARTY_euro_manifesto.pdf

Many thanks for sharing your views with me and for engaging in these important elections.

Yours sincerely

Sandy Martin

Another positive also a CA & BASC member.

As a member of the Countryside Alliance and supporter of BASC, I do support shooting sports conducted according to the law and best practice.

If elected I would consider joining the European Parliament Intergroup for Sustainable Hunting, Biodiversity, Countryside Activities and Forestry.

Regards,

Melissa Maynard

Conservative MEP Candidate, South West Region

Many thanks for taking the time to write to me in the run-up to the European Elections. As a Labour Party candidate I am confident that, because we work together and develop joint policy positions with our sister parties in Europe, I will be able to have a real and positive influence on European regulations and the political direction of the EU. This does mean, however, that I cannot simply support particular campaigns or manifestos without having discussed it with my colleagues first.

Who we send to the European Parliament matters for British families and for the British economy. Members of the European Parliament can deliver real change to ensure Europe works better for Britain.

Over the coming 2 weeks Labour candidates will be campaigning on a policy platform that includes ensuring the EU delivers growth and jobs, tackles the cost of living crisis, and protects workers’ rights.

Labour MEPs and candidates will also highlight their record of standing up for hardworking families, protecting our NHS, and taking on the energy companies and the banks - unlike the Tories in Brussels who have fought for bankers’ bonuses and backed big tobacco firms.

The detail of Labour’s policies for these elections has been set out in our European Elections Manifesto. You can view the full manifesto here:

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/editor/files/LABOUR_PARTY_euro_manifesto.pdf

Many thanks for sharing your views with me and for engaging in these important elections.

Yours sincerely

Sandy Martin

What a load of nothingness, guff is the right word.

Yours sincerely

Sandy Martin

So the British Labour party can't even support the position of tens of thousands of British sportsmen and women without first clearing it with a bunch of foreign MEP's?

:no::no::no:

Snap!

You can almost imagine Milliband's hand up his backside working his mouth.

Yours sincerely

Sandy Martin

Yours sincerely

Sandy Martin

I don't trust politicians they seem to have a habit of changing their minds when they get voted in it would be refreshing for someone to actually do what they say they are going to do when they get voted in. I don't normally do politics but would just like to know the person I vote for I can trust. As it's not just shooting and country sports that are important to me.

How is this for blunt and to the point, they don't even sign off with what party they are.

Dear Mr .................

As requested, here below is my position regarding the questions you asked:

* Do you support shooting sports conducted according to the law and best practice?

Yes

* If elected will you join the European Parliament Intergroup for Sustainable Hunting, Biodiversity, Countryside Activities and Forestry?

No

Best wishes,

Glyn Ford

How is this for blunt and to the point, they don't even sign off with what party they are.

Dear Mr .................

As requested, here below is my position regarding the questions you asked:

* Do you support shooting sports conducted according to the law and best practice?

Yes

* If elected will you join the European Parliament Intergroup for Sustainable Hunting, Biodiversity, Countryside Activities and Forestry?

No

Best wishes,

Glyn Ford

He's Labour.

Worse still, he's a friend of the Kinnocks!!

Anyone else watched this video by Labour? The "Un- Credible Shrinking man", I think they've only served to project all the negative remarks they are making about Clegg and the Tories of onto themselves; whether those remarks are true or not. It was funny when they started bribing him with biscuit crumbs though!

And I have not heard back from the remaining local MP's. I also asked the countryside alliance for their view, but haven't heard back.

Edited by OJW

Thank you for your email regarding the EU’s further attempt to interfere with British governance on the issue of firearm ownership.

The UK already has a great deal many controls and restrictions on firearm ownership, and because of this I don’t believe that further restrictions are needed. The requirements already put in place for those individuals who own a gun, either for sport or profession, are more than enough. Rather than limiting criminal activity, further firearm control will most likely only affect law abiding citizens.

It is examples of EU interference such as this that reinforce why I believe Britain should exit the European Union once and for all. We must have control of our own laws and legislation rather than be dictated to by unelected officials in Brussels.

I do believe in safe, responsible ownership and use of firearms, and when possible I will indeed support UK shooters to the best of my abilities.

Yours sincerely,

David Campbell Bannerman MEP

Conservative Member of the European Parliament for the East of England

Some much for Labour employing Jon Rappaport, Obama's PR guru from the states to fight what they say will be a negative tory campaign for the GE. Hypocrites!

Anyone else watched this video by Labour? The "Un- Credible Shrinking man", I think they've only served to project all the negative remarks they are making about Clegg and the Tories of onto themselves; whether those remarks are true or not. It was funny when they started bribing him with biscuit crumbs though!

And I have not heard back from the remaining local MP's. I also asked the countryside alliance for their view, but haven't heard back.

Well my MP is Desmond Swayne who is conservative and been in the TA for years so I suspect he is pro-shooting!

Tom

You don't know unless you ask.

I have had resonses from 5 people running for euro election in a couple of weeks. 4 pro shooting 1 against (green party). If you have not sent the blanket email on the first page do so so these people feel pressure from us shooters.

To do nothing is not an option. (well it is but not good for our sport) It takes about 30 seconds of your time.