HMR Hangfire

wildfowler.250

So took the rifle out yesterday. I had removed the bolt on the previous outing and locked it seperately with the ammo. Got to a field that had a crow in it and lined up a shot. Rifle didn't fire/go click. Emptied and re chambered..no fire or click.

I assumed it was myself moving the bolt too lightly so gave up and emptied the gun. Re-cocked the rifle a few times and tried to fire it. First couple didn't work. Then the rifle went back on form and started to click when I pulled the trigger. I took the bolt out and replaced it as well so maybe that was it...

So next field along saw a crow and had a shot at it,(I missed :rolleyes).

Anyway.. Had a wander round the farm and eventually got to a field with another crow in it. Lined up the shot and the rifle went click. I had just started to take my eye off the scope when the rifle fired. This was about a half second delay,(the shot still got the crow which was surprising).

Now as the rifle was back on song so to speak, do I assume this was another case of faulty HMR ammo? OR is it likely the bolt needs a good clean? I'll clean the bolt anyway but I think it was a duff cartridge. Went to a safe spot to fire at a target and the following two rounds loaded and went off fine.

Have to say the Hangfire gave me a fair surprise and I was glad I wasn't shooting from a vehicle or it could have been dodgey. Would appreciate any views. There seems to be a lot of faulty HMR reports going about.

Are they Hornady blue tipped by any chance ???

I have had issues with those, but none with other hornady. There is a fair amount if history on the problems of this round. ? Its getting to the point of me getting rid of mine as I'm loosing faith in it.

I get this now and again in fact had it last night.... I have a sako quad with a 17hmr barrel fitted

I have just got it back as I had a major screw up.... had a mis fire and thought I had ejected the whole round, chambered another squeezed the trigger and the thing blew up... lucky for me it went down via the mag but it was very scary! long story short when ejecting a 17hmr round from a mis fire or an unshot round you must check the barrel is clear there was a bunch of poor ammo and some rounds had a cracked neck which let in moisture its quite old stuff I think it was limited to hornady blue tips? this caused a misfire or a delay on the powder burn...

check your rounds and see if any have a crack in the neck

Are they Hornady blue tipped by any chance ???

I have had issues with those, but none with other hornady. There is a fair amount if history on the problems of this round. ? Its getting to the point of me getting rid of mine as I'm loosing faith in it.

They are blue tips. I bought 500 few years ago and they've been faultless apart from a few split necks post firing,(so what?). However this was a bit if a surprise. Funnily enough if the same thing happened with a shotgun I'd have waited and pointed it at the ground but just wasn't expecting it in the rifle,(lesson learned).

There's been a lot of complaints about bullets stuck in barrels ect. Shame as I do love the gun for vermin :/

I get this now and again in fact had it last night.... I have a sako quad with a 17hmr barrel fitted

I have just got it back as I had a major screw up.... had a mis fire and thought I had ejected the whole round, chambered another squeezed the trigger and the thing blew up... lucky for me it went down via the mag but it was very scary! long story short when ejecting a 17hmr round from a mis fire or an unshot round you must check the barrel is clear there was a bunch of poor ammo and some rounds had a cracked neck which let in moisture its quite old stuff I think it was limited to hornady blue tips? this caused a misfire or a delay on the powder burn...

Is you're gun okay? It's not the first time I've heard reports like that!

check your rounds and see if any have a crack in the neck

One of the main reasons I do not use a HMR is the fact that it is bottle necked and a rim fire!

Any crud in that chamber and the round is just held off the breech face....the crucial anvil needed for the firing pin! Any slight head space from the bolt and you have problems.

It is too small a bottle necked chamber to keep spotless in my humble opinion.

Lots of people also dry fire their rim fires, a lot of the pins strike the breech face just enough to not only damage the pin but also peen the chamber edge just enough to cause a burr. That burr then acts as a high spot and stops or fouls the cartridge fully entering the chamber. A strike from the pin then loses some of it's energy in moving the whole case a few thou mimicking a light strike!

In my opinion all rim fires should be straight cased!

If none of that applies or checks out ok consider removing the firing pin and remove a few thou from the area that stops the pin on the bolt body.

U.

I don't know a lot of 'technical' information regarding cartridge reloading but a thread on the stalking directory suggested it was an annealing problem at the neck of the case?

Either way, it's something to bear in mind for next time. Could easily have pulled a shot on the animal as well which I didn't really think about

Pavman I went out last night with my .17hmr and some blue tip Hornday rounds.

Only just started using them as I've been on Federal for a few years and these have been hanging around for a while.

First 6 shots had 6 rabbits then CLICK!

After waiting a minute I ejected the case minus the head. The bullet was still in the barrel which I was surprised about as there was no bang. Must have just fallen out.

Anyway 2 minute drive home and knocked it back out with a rod and out for another 16 rabbits with no problems.

Bloody glad I checked the case and barrel otherwise I would have ended up like you or worse.

Just getting the rounds out of the safe now to check for split necks. The duff one had a very fine crack.

Harry

Just looked at the Hornday blue tips in my cabinet and found 23 split ones out of 150.

Not very impressed. I'll stick with federal in future.

Just looked at the Hornday blue tips in my cabinet and found 23 split ones out of 150.

A word of caution. Opening the bolt on a hang fire that subsequently detonates can drive the bolt out back through the rear of the receiver. Its very nasty and can remove an arm or even kill. The usual way to handle a suspected hang fire in firstly wait with the gun pointed in a safe direction for a fair period of time then place it flat on the floor on its side bolt uppermost and open the bolt carefully in such a way you do not put anything in the bolts way just in case it makes a fast rewards exit and don't let anyone stand behind while you do it.

Then get ready to look a fool as nine times out of ten you just pulled the trigger on an empty chamber

A word of caution. Opening the bolt on a hang fire that subsequently detonates can drive the bolt out back through the rear of the receiver. Its very nasty and can remove an arm or even kill. The usual way to handle a suspected hang fire in firstly wait with the gun pointed in a safe direction for a fair period of time then place it flat on the floor on its side bolt uppermost and open the bolt carefully in such a way you do not put anything in the bolts way just in case it makes a fast rewards exit and don't let anyone stand behind while you do it.

Then get ready to look a fool as nine times out of ten you just pulled the trigger on an empty chamber

yerrrwhaaa?

Just wait a couple of seconds and turn the action away from you and eject the dud. Check the bore.

You are in more danger driving a car on todays roads!

U.

yerrrwhaaa?

Just wait a couple of seconds and turn the action away from you and eject the dud. Check the bore.

You are in more danger driving a car on todays roads!

U.

There was a guy who lost his arm about a decade ago on a range day (BDS event I think?) anyhow you see so few RCOs enforcing the way I describe but quite a few did after this occurrence again its drifted away. There was much talk of some faulty primers being used in various brands of factory though I doubt anything was proved

shooting tactical events it has always been in my mind though as few wait and just assume a mis-feed and crack on fast. Think of that which is occurring in a hang fire and its a game of chance especially so if you don't wait

driving a car is certainly one of the most dangerous thing we do though this doesn't mean we should not pay attention and gather knowledge of other things that have the potential to kill or injure. I admit I don't always do this but if I got a previous hang-fire or mis- fire with a gun or a batch of ammo I should and indeed did not so long back with a batch of faulty Winchester.

There was a guy who lost his arm about a decade ago on a range day (BDS event I think?) anyhow you see so few RCOs enforcing the way I describe but quite a few did after this occurrence again its drifted away. There was much talk of some faulty primers being used in various brands of factory though I doubt anything was proved

shooting tactical events it has always been in my mind though as few wait and just assume a mis-feed and crack on fast. Think of that which is occurring in a hang fire and its a game of chance especially so if you don't wait

driving a car is certainly one of the most dangerous thing we do though this doesn't mean we should not pay attention and gather knowledge of other things that have the potential to kill or injure. I admit I don't always do this but if I got a previous hang-fire or mis- fire with a gun or a batch of ammo I should and indeed did not so long back with a batch of faulty Winchester.

:good:

Wouldn't catch me laying a gun on its side and opening the bolt. For one you would have to stand over it and potentially be in line for a face of brass from a burst case on its way out!

With an HMR I would probably roll the gun to the right and open the bolt to eject the case away from me and keep any body parts away from the possible bolt trajectory.

I noticed the OP said "no click, no fire". Bad cartridges are not his problem, dodgy firing pin/ trigger mechanism more like!

Wouldn't catch me laying a gun on its side and opening the bolt. For one you would have to stand over it and potentially be in line for a face of brass from a burst case on its way out!

With an HMR I would probably roll the gun to the right and open the bolt to eject the case away from me and keep any body parts away from the possible bolt trajectory.

I noticed the OP said "no click, no fire". Bad cartridges are not his problem, dodgy firing pin/ trigger mechanism more like!

If you rolled it to the right in the case of a RH gun the bolt will be in accessible. But the idea is to not to get in the way of anything or have anyone stood behind.

A lot of rimfire ammo has been rushed out with the shortages that occurred and I do fear this is the result

Kent....just how is a RH bolt made inaccessible by rolling a rifle over to the right?

Are you suffering from bad arthritis matey?

U :hmm:

Err, by the fact the gun is then resting on its bolt handle on the ground :rolleyes: Roll it onto its left and its very much more easy being uppermost, it also allows the case to cleat the port. What a silly exchange this is :innocent:

Edited by kent

Err, by the fact the gun is then resting on its bolt handle on the ground :rolleyes: Roll it onto its left and its very much more easy being uppermost, it also allows the case to cleat the port. What a silly exchange this is :innocent:

well lets just hope your not stood im a muddy puddle next time matey lol.

U :-)

It can happen with any batch, I had a couple of boxes of Remington HMR with the same.

All 17HMR ammunition is made in the same factory by CCI, different heads (sometimes even if it's just tip colour) same machines and powder.

It can happen with any batch, I had a couple of boxes of Remington HMR with the same.

All 17HMR ammunition is made in the same factory by CCI, different heads (sometimes even if it's just tip colour) same machines and powder.

I'm aware of that but I've never had split rounds when buying federal or cci and never had an issue shooting those rounds. This is the first time I've shot Hornday and to have any split cases before they've been shot is unacceptable let alone 20%.

I've been using the Remington 17grain hmr rounds, and have had two rounds go click no bang head stuck in barrel, countless split heads after firing a couple of click one second later bang. (About 200 rounds)

But all this on odd occasions, went out Sunday morning box of 50, 45 rounds later no problems a quick zero check, countless dead rabbits and a couple of crows.

It's just one of those things

Edited by miller86