fac sgc interview today

had my interview today with feo for 22lr 17hmr( in gloucester by the way ), seemed ok thelady was very nice and helpful but my only concern is that i haven't had an recent rim fire experience and with no mentor to watch me i'm doubtful if i'll get it approved. does anyone have any experience with gloucestershire police?

also, new to this site, this is my first post.

If you've got good reason, ie permission and suitable land, you should be granted. I've not come across mentoring for a rimfire, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

When mine was first granted they'd only let me have a .22lr and said I could have an hmr after 6 months on a free variation.

A year later, I had a .223 added and an open certificate!

PS welcome to the site!

the land has already been cleared for a 243, i think she said, because we get deer there. just a waiting game now. thanks everyone my fingers are crossed too!

also, thinking about my first ever rimfire was looking at a cz 455 thumbhole in 22. any thoughts on this rifle. all the reviews seem pretty good!

i went through all this last year for my first fac, i got a 17hmr then a 22-250 a few months later and then put in for an open cert and got that as well. All well within a year. im in north wales who are meant to be very strict. Good luck but i dont think you will have to worry much. you will get want but it may take a little time. atb P

i have permission for a 80 acre farm. she just seemed doubtful that i would get it. just have to wait( it starts again ) and see i guess.

thanks for replying

Are you a BASC member? There is no specific experience requirement (just good reason) and mentoring has been dropped by the guidance HO and APCO as a bad idea.

http://basc.org.uk/basc-training-courses/firearms-awareness-courses/ might be worth considering (but only if they refuse to grant)

Edited by HDAV

That's utter nonsense. Since when did someone with no experience need to join a club before they could get an FAC for pest control? BASC should be able to assist. What the police fail to realise is that whilst your gaining experience at a club, your permission could go to someone else.

Hope BASC help, it might be a compromise to have just .22 for now and apply for the other later if it came down to it.

Good luck, I cannot believe that!

• 2 weeks later...

they agreed to a fac air and when i have more experience to apply for a rim fire! think i'm going to settle for that!

now which fac air do i choose???

SO your "safe" to have FAC air but not .22LR ???

.22LR is about 116Ft/lbs energy if they grant you FAC AIr you can go buy a 100ft/lbs or 120ft/lbs gun and thats fine but if you bought a .22LR your dangerous?

Safe shot is safe shot knowing what is safe and what isn't is what matters... if you dont know you shouldn't have any kind of FAC....... What did BASC say?

Edited by HDAV

If you've got experience with air rifles, the logical step up is to rimfire. If you can demonstrate you are safe, you have decent sized permission, then there's no reason they should refuse rimfire and insist on FAC air. Dig your heels in on this one and get BASC to fight your corner.

Maybe one of the local lads might be willing to come over to yours so you can gain a few hours experience?

Good luck anyways - sometimes it seems like an uphill struggle at times!

i think it is an uphill strugle!

basc said the same as you guys, theres no reason to not allow me a rim fire, as long as i know the backstop rule(which i do) they would procede with a fight if i wanted to.

however fac air will be fine for my needs at the moment and to be honest i'm happy with that!

if i go straight to rimfire i dont think i'll ever get a fac air and i do want one!

i live in gloucester centre.