What can be done to curb the 'bandits'?

-Mongrel-

Last time I shot clays at my local ground, I shot really well for me and put a good card in. General consensus is that it should have been good enough to give me a very good class position.

When the scores were tallied, I'd come in third, normally be quite happy with that and 3 behind the winner ... whose score equaled the B class winner and would have put him third in A class! How the heck can he be shooting in C class?

Now, I shoot C class on the clays even though my averages suggest I should be shooting B class. For whatever reasons the ground has not seen fit to move me up as yet, but the point is I shot exceptionally well (85% average) but failed to beat the winner of the class above, etc etc, which is the way it should be surely?

It's not the first time this has happened, and to be honest, while it doesn't REALLY bother me in the great scheme of things, I do find it a bit irksome at times.

Should there not be a system in place that stops the journeyman shooter from just turning up and picking what class he wants to shoot in that day? It's almost enough to make me want to join the CPSA for gradings even though I don't seriously shoot competitively as such.

Edited by -Mongrel-

i know what you mean, i shot in our local club once and due to handicap system i had to shoot 52 out of 50 to win, im in AA just, i just laughed about it theres nothing you can do, try golf thats even worse for bandits, oh look another birdie dont you play well for a 28 handicap :lol:

It can also be equally annoying at club level when you get moved for a one-off decent score.

I got moved from B to AA after winning the Christmas shoot and I never returned a score like that again.

The word bandit got mentioned, and not in the usual way it's used with regard to me. ;)

If it's a registered shoot the high hitters from whatever class may be moved up when the CPSA do there grading if they keep there average up.

It is registered, but the Saturday shoot is open to all comers, your scores are submitted to the CPSA but if you were to turn up and say you were a C class, you'd be shooting as a C.

It can also be equally annoying at club level when you get moved for a one-off decent score.

I got moved from B to AA after winning the Christmas shoot and I never returned a score like that again.

The word bandit got mentioned, and not in the usual way it's used with regard to me. ;)

On my last performance and on the last CPSA gradings, in theory I shot to 'AA' standard. That said, I regularly shoot to CPSA 'B' standard but seem to be stuck in 'C' at club level.

Edited by -Mongrel-

It is registered, but the Saturday shoot is open to all comers, your scores are submitted to the CPSA but if you were to turn up and say you were a C class, you'd be shooting as a C.

If it is registered if you cannot prove what class you are then YOU will have to shoot u/c .

If it is registered if you cannot prove what class you are then YOU will have to shoot u/c .

I have been classified by the ground as I wasn't at the time a CPSA member (very recently joined) but the ground is a CPSA reg'd ground, I suspect that if I turned up at another ground and they asked, they'd quite hapily pt me down as a C as well BUT, to be honest I haven't actually asked at the ground what their process is for establishing a class. Do you generally ha=ve to carry 'proof' of your grading with you whe you visist a new ground?

Just don't shoot comps. registered or otherwise, easy.

Not a choice. The saturday shoot is a competition which you automatically enter when you shoot a round. I could shoot 'cash' I suppose but that seems equally pointless for a man of my mediocre skills.

Actually this is not handicapping, this is grading, and this system always has it's faults, and of course you will never eradicate those who choose to abuse the system. The big issue is that you can shoot birds only all year and hit high scores and not get a grade, then you go in for a club or registered shoot and claim you are a 'C' as you have not been graded....and post a winning card. The only way to stop this is to device a national system where every club affiliates to a league system and every shooter and their score is posted. Problem is that is a lot of work and cost heavy, and for many shooting is just a bit of fun. My advice is just be happy you are shooting well.