Whats the best hunting springer for £200

rowland75

Hi guys

Im currently refurbing my old bsa meteor, and hoping to get over 10ft/lbs from it and keep it usable for general vermin plinking.

Ive spent today using a Theoben Scirroco and getting 2" grouping at 25yds (im getting better).

This gun is supposed to be "full" power.

Im keen to start hunting, but my bsa refurb will be slow. So what springer could I buy around £200 that will take squirrel and rabbits?

cheers

Pete

sticking with the BSA theme, a lightning (probably 2nd hand). Cracking little springer, highly thought of and good quality manufacturer. I assume your £200 was just the gun? I paid around £190 mark for 1000 pellets, targets, BSA gunslip and a second hand lightning with 3-9x50 tasco sights.

What about the good ole Air Arms TX 200 HC eh?

http://www.air-arms.co.uk/TXANDHUNTERCARBINE.htm

TXMIDDLE.jpg

BUT IS HE MAN ENOUGH?:welcomeani:??...................

I have shot one of these brutes for years and I have to say that I cannot fault them.....I paid £450 for mine in walnut about 7 years ago, but boy.....are they heavy!!!

Thanks again for great info.

Had a look at jsramsbottom but quite a few rifles are out of stock. I looked at the Gamo range out of curiosity and they look good on paper, but seem cheap.

What are peoples thoughts on them?

Cheers

Pete

Have you tryed airgunbuyer.com?

Thanks for all the info guys.

My current favourite is the Weihrauch HW80.

Ive decided I will beef up and manage the 9lb weight :welcomeani: Although i'll have a go of one first.

Whats the pro's and con's of carbine?

Also hypothetically should I ever go fac how easy is it to up the power, and is it worth it?

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for all the info guys.

My current favourite is the Weihrauch HW80.

Ive decided I will beef up and manage the 9lb weight :good: Although i'll have a go of one first.

Whats the pro's and con's of carbine?

Also hypothetically should I ever go fac how easy is it to up the power, and is it worth it?

Cheers

Pete

Don't forget the weight of scope/mounts :good:

You can get hold of a Theoben Gas ram for it which will give a little less recoil than a spring at higher power levels.

A carbine is fine and will make no difference to accuracy but bare in mind if you increase the power you will increase the cocking effort needed, which won't be as easy with the shorter barrel, you can always fit a silencer to aid you.

As for the weight my favourite rifle of the moment is my HW97K Custom which weighs the same as the HW80, you'll get used to it after a few weeks of hunting. :welcomeani:

Hi again

Do you mean you can get a Theoben gas ram to add to the HW80?

Im really interested in this rifle, and im keen to know what options I have with it; max power, stock changes, silencer options, best scope....and mostly personal experiences.

Above all Im planning on hunting and really want; one hit and no messing!

Please guys keep the advice coming and perhaps if i may be so bold...a few pics of hw80's :welcomeani:

Hi again

Do you mean you can get a Theoben gas ram to add to the HW80?

Im really interested in this rifle, and im keen to know what options I have with it; max power, stock changes, silencer options, best scope....and mostly personal experiences.

Above all Im planning on hunting and really want; one hit and no messing!

Please guys keep the advice coming and perhaps if i may be so bold...a few pics of hw80's :lol:

Yes you can get a Theoben gas ram, you can take the power upto about 20ft/lbs, maybe 25ft/lbs if you had a .25 barrel fitted.

If you want one hit kills all you need to do is hit the right spot everytime.

There are plenty of past threads to read regarding scope options.

I currently have no means of taking pics at the moment but your not missing anything when it comes to my old HW80, it needs completly re-blueing and the stock needs stripping. In other words its seen better days. You'll be happy to hear that apart from cosmetic issues it still shoots as good as the day i bought it (second hand), i think it's nearly 30 years old and i have changed the spring once since i've had it. That was purely because it started to make a bit of noise and needed some TLC.

They are very well built guns and will last a lifetime!

• 3 weeks later...