views on a 22 hornet

shotgun sam

I have a Hornet, but have yet to put it through it's paces. Speaking to others who own one, they state that it's an excellent fox caliber up to 130 yards. I have only used mine to zero my scope, but was pleased with the accuracy once sighted in. I've reloaded my ammunition, which (not including the cases) cost me 26p per shot.

I'm looking forward to trying it out properly in the next few weeks. I bought mine mainly for a mid range fox rifle, and also for some long'ish range rabbits/corvids.

A nice light weight rifle suits this 160-180 yard cartrage can be loaded traditionaly with a 45 grain or zipped up with a light weight 30-35 grain varmint round.

Lovely for mid range rabbit will hold it's own in the wind will take a fox with ease but wouldnt stretch the range too much.

It's a reloders round in reality factory are available but accuray and cost may push you towards other offerings like the 17 hornet or a 204 if you are really against reloading.

All the best

Karl.

Well I have been using one a fair bit over the last few years. Factory 45 grain RWS ammo will do most things very well but all factory tends on the slow side 2550 fps in the case of this round, 35 grain Hondaday v-max will push 3050 fps but actually due to the poor BC brings nothing to the party. Handloads with LilGun powder have re-invigorated the round as you can get the highest velocities with the lowest pressures, this adds case life, down range speed and better ballistic performance. 2800 fps is doable with a 45 grain bullet that gives just less than half the windage of a HMR at 100 yards only.

Maximum effective range is down to the shooter and the day, though from a 130 yds zero I am 2 Moa low at 200 yards the gun is producing more than a HMR might at the end of its muzzle at that range BTW so if you can the gun certainly can. Its hard to get the barrel seriously warm, it moderates very well (having about half the powder of a .222 to burn). 10 mph FV wind at 200 is 5.6 MOA so its not a gun for long range stuff on the wrong day in practice in capable hands it will get the job done.

There are a few oddities in re-loading the hornet real well but once you get your head around them its quick easy and cheap, about the same as HMR factory which it out performs in all areas.

Rabbits can be head shot even as little as 20 yards or so away and still be worth picking up, hares can be head neck or chesty shot when fully grown likewise just watch you don't try chest shots at the 20 yards. In my experience its as much as is practical on bunnies unless you don't want to pick them up. body shots on crows have all been instantly fatal out to just over 200 yards (remember its like three times the power of a HMR and only one further HMR short of a .222 rem when hand loaded with a 45 grain bullet). Foxes are no big worry but you do need to place the shot, too far back and don't expect miracles and it wont travel to the front through the rear

What you will find is a lot of doubters and hearsay rubbish about it, this put me off one for years, I am very glad my inquisitiveness won out in the end.

Edited by kent

Pretty much what has already been said.

In short, there are two 'types' of 22 Hornet; the factory loaded ammunition version or the home loaded one The former with, say, the likes of RWS ammo giving 2430/600 ft/sec/ft/lbs at the muzzle or Winchester giving 2690/740 - manufacturers' figures - both using 46 grain bullets. The latter, given the right rifle, can produce 2800/870 using a 50 grain bullet without even blinking. With a decent rated BC bullet, this, gives a potential for shooting fox well past the 200 yard mark conditions/shooter permitting. You either pays yer money or spend less but use your time, the choice is yours. Either way, it's a delight if you don't need to exceed a c200 yard limit. There's good reason why it was known as "the farmers' gun" - and with the advent of modern powders, it just got better.

I've reloaded mine with 12.5grn of Lil'Gun and 45gr Sierra bullets. When I get chance, I'll try it on my Chronograph to see what it's pushing.

it will likely be 2800-2900. The chrono is a good aid to loading the hornet as one main key is getting an even speed, I have produced some freaky high velocities at low charge rates with various bullets/primers using lilgun. Heck I don't know why I have seen much on this from others, one even thought neck turning sorted it for him, all I do know is I have managed to get it down to minimum deviation now with a good powder fill and certain primers but still nothing like you can with most modern cartridges under 30 over ten shots is as good as it gets for me but I consider 12 or less benchmark with many guns. It don't make a heap of difference at say 200 though so no point in getting to retentive about it

it will likely be 2800-2900. The chrono is a good aid to loading the hornet as one main key is getting an even speed, I have produced some freaky high velocities at low charge rates with various bullets/primers using lilgun. Heck I don't know why I have seen much on this from others, one even thought neck turning sorted it for him, all I do know is I have managed to get it down to minimum deviation now with a good powder fill and certain primers but still nothing like you can with most modern cartridges under 30 over ten shots is as good as it gets for me but I consider 12 or less benchmark with many guns. It don't make a heap of difference at say 200 though so no point in getting to retentive about it

I did load a few rounds with 35gr bullets, which I know will up the speed, but was advised to stick with the heavier 45gr.

I did load a few rounds with 35gr bullets, which I know will up the speed, but was advised to stick with the heavier 45gr.

You did the right thing, I eventually got the 35's shooting well at 100 yards in my CZ but literally at around 150 they were very unpredictable at 200 hardly worth aiming. The big thing is (and I am doing this of memory so excuse the exactness in case of error) windage is akin to a std HMR not far past 130 yards ish. I have by contrast done many 1/2" 200 groups with 45 seirras and look at 1" the norm if conditions are not shifting around. 40 grn v-max I can run at 3000 fps though I have yet to really get into that load though the BC is higher than the 45 sierra, reason being I couldn't get brand new brass when I had the time to play with it more fully. I don't think 100-200 fps is a ground breaker but allied to the better BC its interesting to say the least

works for me on the land I shoot if you shoot large open areas you will need more gun I then use 243w

Exactly what I do the perfect partner IMO it does what the Hornet cannot without any overlap, though the hornet is of course fine on open areas as long as its not stormy and you still want to shoot to the extremity of its effective range.

If a guy already had one of the other .22 cf rifles I should just add consider first just switching to some light loads in the existing gun as required

So I do use hornet

if you look in reloading and ammo there is my thread about loading etc. and end result.

its easy to reload ( hand load is about 13-14 gbp per 50 shots)

love the rifle to bits I did fire more than 800 hand loaded rounds and it is superb. I tka it out more often than my HMR.

and best fox was shot about 160m

very accurate gun. just saving some money for nice scope like Zeiss.