Shotgun Storage Laws

Hi all,

If I were to go for a weekend away to a friends house on Friday, stay for the weekend and shoot clays on Sunday then return home, could I legally take my gun along despite there being no gun safe at the house in which I'm staying? Any help is much appreciated - must be a common issue with lots of people travelling for bought days of shooting!

This is a copy of a post I made when I answered the question in the past....

This is the Home Office Guidelines on it, although not law and only guidance, following it does give you the defence 'I was only following Home Office Guidelines' if any problems should arise.

19.51. Considerations when firearms are being taken to venues involving overnight or longer

accommodation include:

a) Obtaining accommodation which provides secure facilities (some hotels offer this

service) but the certificate holder (whose responsibility it is) should satisfy himself that

no unauthorised person has access to the security, for example by having spare keys

to a cabinet;

b Separating and retaining possession of integral parts of the firearm to prevent it being

used; or

c) Using portable security devices, such as security cords.

Personally I drop the trigger out and separate the gun, leaving half in the car and the rest in the room, the guidance says separate OR security cords so no need to use both.

Hi all,

If I were to go for a weekend away to a friends house on Friday, stay for the weekend and shoot clays on Sunday then return home, could I legally take my gun along despite there being no gun safe at the house in which I'm staying? Any help is much appreciated - must be a common issue with lots of people travelling for bought days of shooting!

Yes you can, you need take "all reasonable precautions to prevent unauthorised access" I have done it many times. As will most shooters.

Timps beat me to it.

If your guns does not have a drop out trigger removing the fore end or other part required for it to function will suffice.

I use a security cord as i am paranoid i will break or loose the forend!

Edited by HDAV

Brilliant! Thanks everyone, thought it was as simple as that but just wanted to make sure.

Don't take our word for it if the worst happens i don't think "someone i pigeonwatch said it was fine" will hold much sway....

Look up the guidance and take what you feel is the appropriate action.

Guns don't need to be secured or stored securely if you are in the house with them. The law is principally concerned with preventing unauthorised people (i.e. non SGC holders) from gaining access rather than the police attitude which is almost all about theft.

The average burglar/housebreaker is looking for stuff that's easy & quick to turn into cash. If he gets caught down the pub with a camera and a tablet worth £100 it'll be a slap on the wrist and community service. If he's caught with a gun worth about £150 on the black market it's prison for the next few years. Most opportunist thieves would walk right past a shotgun standing in the corner and scarper with any cash lying around and a few pocketable gadgets. They may be criminals but they aren't stupid enough to risk getting caught with firearms.

I occasionally take a shotgun if we go away for a weekend, and if there's an interesting clay club/shoot in the area.

Barrels stay in the car.

Stock stays in my luggage, in the room.

Forend is either in the room, car (locked in glovebox), or on me.