Making a dog jealous

mrmints

Bazooka, not entirely sure why you care so much about the feelings of my trainer? I want to know if anyone has had any experience of making a dog jealous and if it has been successful.

Feel free not to respond to my posts.

A good trainer confident in his abilities will care little if you ask advice elsewhere, if in doubt ask his thoughts. Not all pro trainers are good at their jobs, even if they have a few good dogs themselves it doesn't always tell the full tale. What you are looking for in a trainer is someone who is good with all temperaments dogs and owners

A good trainer confident in his abilities will care little if you ask advice elsewhere, if in doubt ask his thoughts. Not all pro trainers are good at their jobs, even if they have a few good dogs themselves it doesn't always tell the full tale. What you are looking for in a trainer is someone who is good with all temperaments dogs and owners

:) Any trainer of anything or anyone will most certainly be interested to know why you feel the need to ask a strangers advice when they are at the other end of a phone, text, email and so on. If someone was helping me train a horse and they were experienced in their field why would I want to go onto a horse training forum and ask if something my trainer suggested works? It would not cross my mind. I might well question with the trainer why? how? when? but if the guy is worth his salt he will explain everything and would not have suggeted to use the method if he had no experience or idea it would work. ???

As to your last point. Nobody is asking what is to be looked for in a trainer. The OP has found his trainer.But any trainer of anything should be concerned if anyone coming to them is more interested in asking complete strangers with no traceable track record questions before going to him to ask. Why would you?

Bazooka, not entirely sure why you care so much about the feelings of my trainer? I want to know if anyone has had any experience of making a dog jealous and if it has been successful.

Feel free not to respond to my posts.

:lol: I don't. I just can not grasp why you would want to look elsewhere for answers to something he has already suggested could be the answer ???

You either lack confidence in your trainer or respect the opinions of those you don't know, more. Either way is strange to say the least.

Edited by Bazooka

Bazooka, no its neither of those, I have a great deal of respect for my trainer, I just enjoy posting online, listening to peoples opinions on subject that interest/affect me and wanted to hear about other peoples experiences of using the technique he suggested. You've posted in a similar vein on other questions I've asked and I mentioned then that I may or may not take the advice given, but the more I learn the happier I am. Further more, I naively hope that other people who don't post or don't want to ask stupid questions could learn from my mistakes or my questions.

Anyway, to the training! I have to say I was amazed with the way Lucy behaved! She was unquestionably more interested in retrieving with another dog around, and brought back canvas dummies for the first time ever! She still isn't mad keen (like my instructors dog, who at the same age will choose a game of fetch over a good sniff around!) but I've been told I have nothing to worry about, she knows what to do and should only get keener as I (very slowly) progress. I'm planning on bumping my training quota up to 2 or 3 times a month, because I feel a lot happier and more confident with the dog, after them.

However, he has identified a potentially more serious problem and given me advice on how to stop it. Chasing birds in flight. Twice when on walks with me last week I lost control of her at the worst possible moment. The first occasion I'd just let her off the lead at the top of a little hill down towards a field when two ducks flew in about 30 yards from us to land in a big puddle and she was gone, right on their tails! I kept her much closer subsequently, but on Friday, I forgot my whistle and stupidly let her have a little run around, planning to practice voice commands. Off she went again, this time following a pigeon. I could see the other side of the field pigeons lifting up all over the place. With no whistle, and her deaf to my expletives, all I could do was wait for her to come back...doh! Subsequently, anything that flew over she tried to go after, including on Sunday in our training session. However, I'm now the proud owner of a 15m training lead and will be keeping her on that for a while (as per the advice of my trainer). Also, every time anything has caught her attention flying/moving near her I've been sitting her up and in the garden this morning she did so without instruction when a blackbird flew over.

To summarise, I'm delighted with the results of making her jealous! Having her come back to me with a canvas dummy that she wouldn't have even looked at before was one of the best feelings!! Now I need to work on keeping her nice and close and her steadiness to game. Bazooka, I'll give it a couple of days before I post my next strange question :):friends:

Bazooka, no its neither of those, I have a great deal of respect for my trainer, I just enjoy posting online, listening to peoples opinions on subject that interest/affect me and wanted to hear about other peoples experiences of using the technique he suggested. You've posted in a similar vein on other questions I've asked and I mentioned then that I may or may not take the advice given, but the more I learn the happier I am. Further more, I naively hope that other people who don't post or don't want to ask stupid questions could learn from my mistakes or my questions.

Anyway, to the training! I have to say I was amazed with the way Lucy behaved! She was unquestionably more interested in retrieving with another dog around, and brought back canvas dummies for the first time ever! She still isn't mad keen (like my instructors dog, who at the same age will choose a game of fetch over a good sniff around!) but I've been told I have nothing to worry about, she knows what to do and should only get keener as I (very slowly) progress. I'm planning on bumping my training quota up to 2 or 3 times a month, because I feel a lot happier and more confident with the dog, after them.

However, he has identified a potentially more serious problem and given me advice on how to stop it. Chasing birds in flight. Twice when on walks with me last week I lost control of her at the worst possible moment. The first occasion I'd just let her off the lead at the top of a little hill down towards a field when two ducks flew in about 30 yards from us to land in a big puddle and she was gone, right on their tails! I kept her much closer subsequently, but on Friday, I forgot my whistle and stupidly let her have a little run around, planning to practice voice commands. Off she went again, this time following a pigeon. I could see the other side of the field pigeons lifting up all over the place. With no whistle, and her deaf to my expletives, all I could do was wait for her to come back...doh! Subsequently, anything that flew over she tried to go after, including on Sunday in our training session. However, I'm now the proud owner of a 15m training lead and will be keeping her on that for a while (as per the advice of my trainer). Also, every time anything has caught her attention flying/moving near her I've been sitting her up and in the garden this morning she did so without instruction when a blackbird flew over.

To summarise, I'm delighted with the results of making her jealous! Having her come back to me with a canvas dummy that she wouldn't have even looked at before was one of the best feelings!! Now I need to work on keeping her nice and close and her steadiness to game. Bazooka, I'll give it a couple of days before I post my next strange question :):friends:

No you didn't! You asked if it worked, did you not? Anyway, you are on track and if the trainer thinks chasing birds is a bigger problem than your dogs retrieving problem then she should be retrieving well in good time. Chasing is normal until you put the brakes on her later. If he sees that as a bigger problem then he obviously feels the retrieving thing is no big deal to get over. it's more than likely something you were getting wrong with her that has led to the problem of her reluctance to retrieve. He will have told you you were over doing it and placing too much pressure on her for little reward ?

No strange questions only strange reasons for the questions IMO. But fire away all you want. :lol:

Edited by Bazooka

Speaking to a lady who runs Cookrise kennels(Pointers) she told me that they take out young dogs and leave them in cars to watch the older dogs work.

I don't have first hand experience in the technique but sounds like its used.

Please don't forget. The main cause for my concern was to help you and advise you not to do the above. :rolleyes:

To help with the dog chasing,sit the dog up and with several dummies or balls walk around the dog throwing them over its head in an increasing circle if the dog is looking at you give it lots of verbal praise but stop if looks away.This may help you to steady the dog.while having control over it.

To help with the dog chasing,sit the dog up and with several dummies or balls walk around the dog throwing them over its head in an increasing circle if the dog is looking at you give it lots of verbal praise but stop if looks away.This may help you to steady the dog.while having control over it.

He's got a dog that's a very moderate retriever at best & you think he should be steadying it up to thrown dummies?

Edited by PERCE

He's got a dog that's a very moderate retriever at best & you think he should be steadying it up to thrown dummies?

Spot on. I would be getting this dog in a rabbit pen and teaching it not to chase game.

Some are easier taught than others!

The risk of causing anxiety to a dog by locking it in in a car while it watches another retrieve will likely lead to even bigger problems than the young dog being a bit hesitant a retriever. The negatives far out weigh the positives and if the OP desides to do this he is running the risk of far greater problems developing. Being in the company of a dog is not sitting in a car watching.

What??????

Did I say anything about leaving a dog locked in a car?