Hornady .17hmr head stuck in barrell

Was out the other nigh shooting ,went yo reload but the next bullet wouldn't push in the chamber, looked up the barrel and there was a head stuck just up inside the barrel, managed to push it out.

Had this ever happened to anyone else before? My ammo is all stored in a dry place

Didn't you notice that it had misfired?

You were lucky - or careless?

If the bullet had gone an inch further up the barrel, enabling you to chamber and fire the second round it would have been much more interesting.

Surely you must have noticed the absence of 'Bang'.

I have had one in a thousand hornady rounds do this, only the primer had fired and sent the round 1 inch up the barrel, the lack of sufficient 'bang' and not seeing or hearing the impact alerted me and my mate to the mishap and averted an accident.I have always been alert to something like this happening whatever rounds I use and in whatever rifle.Every round I fire I look for the impact of the round, if I don't see an impact for whatever reason I check bore is clear before reloading another round, it normal practice for me, before and after the first and only time it has happened.

Edited by Good shot?

I have had one in a thousand hornady rounds do this, only the primer had fired and sent the round 1 inch up the barrel, the lack of sufficient 'bang' and not seeing or hearing the impact alerted me and my mate to the mishap and averted an accident.I have always been alert to something like this happening whatever rounds I use and in whatever rifle.Every round I fire I look for the impact of the round, if I don't see an impact for whatever reason I check bore is clear before reloading another round, it normal practice for me, before and after the first and only time it has happened.

+1

I had the same thing, only once though

i had one last week with Remington. - it's caused by small cracks in the neck of the case - the poweder then absorbs moisture and fails to ignite, only the primer fires with just enough oomph to stick the round in the barrel. pain in the bum.

check the cases before you load the mag. i had about 10 rounds in 50 with cracks.

it seems to affect most brands of .17hmr manufactured around 2-5 years ago.