Chainsaws

Matthewbaggs

I was 16 last year and my boss was letting me swing around in trees up on a platform with a saw as long as you have good education, safety and people you trust around you it doesn't matter what age you are,

Until it's goes wrong then you have an insurance nightmare. I do work for the forestry commission and there hot on rules and tickets

The trouble with young people and this sort of stuff is that although I accept they can be well trained and responsible and I am sure the people posting are, if there is an accident (and they do happen) the world is going to fall on the head of the responsible adult. I wouldn't like it to be me!!

David.

Been taught how to use one by someone who runs the basic felling course at an agricultural college and have been doing work on their land with them / going to do my "CS32 Fell and Process Medium Trees" soon

That also implies you already have CS30/31 if you are going to do CS32?

PPE first!

Husqy or Stihl seems to be a perennial Ford/Chevy type debate. personally, I use a Husq 442, but with a Stihl chain, as they seems to last longer between sharpenings.

Do sthll make chains that fit husky saws??? (Being serious, not a joke)

I run both (must admit never bought a sthl chain unless on saw from new, all local shops only sell Oregon chains) but they run on different guages which is a PITA as i can't just buy 1 roll of chain to make my own. 1 is 1.5 and the other 1.6mm so either drivelinks will be very tight in the bar groove or will be very slack. I think stihl are the smaller guage so ur stihl chain might be slapping about in the bar groove wouldn't imagine good for bar life or oiling the chain/bar sprockett

Once had a saw with the wrong combo, no idea how it happened (mistake at the shop) and took ages for the chain to run properly the way it was meant too, on a night shift that nite miles from home so had to use it

When i first done my tickets u were not allowed to go for 32 until u had 2 years exp cutting, which i think was a good thing to get some real experience and make a few mistakes. Ur in trouble when u make a mistake of a 32 sized tree. Good luck with it

Thanks for all your replies guys. I'll be using my local agricultural machinery shop so I'll pop up there this week and see what they have on offer. I'm glad I was heading down the right path with it though. I'm going to do the course aswell. I no loads of guys that are **** hot on the saw and have no qualifications but hey, let's hope it doesn't bight them back one day.

Do sthll make chains that fit husky saws??? (Being serious, not a joke)

I run both (must admit never bought a sthl chain unless on saw from new, all local shops only sell Oregon chains) but they run on different guages which is a PITA as i can't just buy 1 roll of chain to make my own. 1 is 1.5 and the other 1.6mm so either drivelinks will be very tight in the bar groove or will be very slack. I think stihl are the smaller guage so ur stihl chain might be slapping about in the bar groove wouldn't imagine good for bar life or oiling the chain/bar sprockett

Wasn't aware that the chain widths varied that much.

My Husq has the narrower gauge chain, I forget what they call it, and the Oregon chain I put on to replace the original didn't last very long (although that is more to do with finding a nail embedded in a birch than any issue of fit!).

I then bought a Stihl chain on the recommendation of the dealer, and it has been great.

Cuts well, stays cool, seem to get plenty of oil to the tip, no abnormal wear on the bar.

Was just surprised that stihl made chains to fit their rivals saws. I know i looked at switching 1 make so i could buy rolls of chain but never bothered in the end as needed new bars and sprockets etc

Can remember i had a wee stihl but so long ago can't remember now if i changed bar or chain mid shift, but i had to push it against a log to get it turning initally until something wore away.

The only reason i knew because i had that problem.

Not a big fan of needless qualifications and tickets, but i do think some training is very important of someone who knows wot there doing.

My mates dad is the most experiencedhard wood cutter in my area never had a ticket or wore PPE, will know more about actually felling big timber than most instructors, just becuase u have no tickets does not make u a bad cutter, just as having tickets does not make u a good cutter.

Mainly just use ur common sense, really think about it and use ur chain break ALL the time and know wot kicjk back is and how its cuased

Chains come in a number of sizes, the very narrow "pica" chain is made by husky for the smaller saw as ath narrower cut make it cut fast for the size of engine. They have a special bar and sprocket. Generally though oregon, husky and stihl chains are interchangeable as long as you get the right spec. This is often stamped on all the drive links.

David.

Stihl now do a pico bar and chain for the pole pruners and climbing saws iirc thinner chain faster cuts, as long as the chain is suitable for the drive sprocket and guide bar you can use what you like guide bars aren't expensive I know a few who run a couple of different bars and chains on the same saw

I realise that stihl mke saws with all different chain pitch's from climbing, pole saws up to large cc 24"+ bar size saws, but just very surprised stihl make chain sizes that are not really compatable with there saws.

Just surprised that stihl make a chain pitch in say in either 3/16th's or 3/8's your very common chain pitches, in both guages (width of bar groove) ie 1.6mm for there own saws and 1.5mm for Husky

saws. (Not sure how it works with the smaller sized chains as my climbing saw is a bit of a cheapy)

Must admit the only reason i know as was given a wrong combo from a decent saw shop i have used for years (simple mistake to make) and the saw does not really like it when u try to move a chain 0.1mm to wide for the bar groove at 20 odd meters a second.

Not saying ur man/shop assistant is wrong but i would be double checking the width of the drive links/guage are ok for ur bar and drive sprocket.

Must admit i only use oregon bar and chains and most saw shops in my area only stock oregon chain, even most harvester operaors run there heads on oregon chain.

Absolutley nothing wrong with oregon chain, just be careful wot type of cutter etc, Allthou i learned recently stihl chain is meant ot be safer as has an extra anti kick back feature