Wednesday wonders......

NickB65

I left work at 5 dashed home and loaded the car up with the gear - shotgun, rifle, nets, decoys and was on the road only to return to pack the hide poles - less haste more speed. I was at the farm by 18:30 and a quick glance at the fields showed the pigeons dropping just the other side of the hedge which split two fields. A quick dash across the field to park where I was to set-up the hide and decoys and then to park the landy by the barns and back in the hide for 7pm. I set-up with just one net, small loo,es and my dad's fishing seat to sit on. In front I had just the half shells on wobbly sticks, two floaters and four full bodied decoys. I had packed the FUDS and others but my gut told me less was more. As planned they came from behind, to the left and right in steady numbers. Within ten minutes I had my first double. They would fly over high or low and then out into the field to fly in a wide arc to return and join their static friends. No feral pigeons this time and only a few doves it seemed this time of night it was just the woodies. As I shot them it would go quiet and I would dash out and pick them up to be back in the de ready and the next bird would be over within five minutes - must get me a dog as it would save so much time.

Missed some easy ones and went for some stupidily long ones but ended up 18 birds for 25 shots which I was very happy with. Best shot of the day was a double left and right followed by a quick load as one went over head and I bagged it just as it went high over head at my extreme reach. The farmer unknown to me was watching at this point and when I reported my bag he was pleased.

Just shows an hours shooting can be so much fun....... And a great stress buster.

I wouldn't have the dedication to go to all that trouble for an hours decoying but a great result none the less, can't have missed many with that average either :)

Can you not get there early afternoon and have 3 or 4 hours of shooting at least....bet you'd be knocking up a sizeable bag then!!

I wouldn't have the dedication to go to all that trouble for an hours decoying but a great result none the less, can't have missed many with that average either :)

Can you not get there early afternoon and have 3 or 4 hours of shooting at least....bet you'd be knocking up a sizeable bag then!!

Although I am the boss I also have a boss so getting away earlier was not that easy and to be honest any shooting is great. Even an hour away from work, TV and in a field where you can sit and think and marvel at the beauty of nature..... as you blast it with 32g no 6.....

Out again tonight and might even do a little fox whistling