what's the best goose decoys

alros01

We have just bought some of these to try this season. They look good and are very well made, however, I was a little surprised at the weight and bulk of them. We bought 36 of them between us. I wouldn't want to carry more than 12 along with all my other gear. In fact I have split them into bags of 9 to carry, but then I am getting on a bit and the younger guys may find it easier. Maybe a pain carrying on and off the marsh, but will let you know later in the season.

Hope that helps about at least one type.

http://www.tidepool.co.uk/decoys/12-flambeau-pinkfoot-goose-shell-decoys-detail

We have just bought some of these to try this season. They look good and are very well made, however, I was a little surprised at the weight and bulk of them. We bought 36 of them between us. I wouldn't want to carry more than 12 along with all my other gear. In fact I have split them into bags of 9 to carry, but then I am getting on a bit and the younger guys may find it easier. Maybe a pain carrying on and off the marsh, but will let you know later in the season.

Hope that helps about at least one type.

http://www.tidepool.co.uk/decoys/12-flambeau-pinkfoot-goose-shell-decoys-detail

the paint is so unlike a real pinkfoot though in the picture at least, its like somebody described a pinkfoot over the phone to the pain shop are they like that in the flesh? Personally I think goose decoys are far to expensive to buy generally, I know its due to their bulk and hence shipping costs but I fail to see why someone from this area of manufacturing in the UK hasn't picked up the ball and run with it at the end of the day they are just another plastic "joblet".

I make my own Silhouettes from ply and am just working on some foam ones as a dozen 9mm ply geese is a heavy burden

Depends what you want them for fella. If your decoying inland and can drive to where you are going to shoot then pretty much any decoy will do. If you are heading across a couple of miles of marsh then weight, packability etc really need to be considered.

I have a dozen of the direct supplies ones that Penelope put up a link for. I can fit them all in my burgen easily and carry them a long way. They are not cheap but are very well made and look as good now as they did when I bought them 3 years ago.

I used home made silhouettes for years, takes a bit of effort at first but they work very well, better if you cut rugby ball shapes and slide them on the bodies then they still look like they are there when the geese pass directly over head. Another little tip if you paint them a little darker than a normal greylag. Then if you are after canadas in a different area buy some long black football socks, sew little white on the heel sides then when you slide them over the necks of the decoys they look like Canada. Same decoy 2 species. Bonus

the paint is so unlike a real pinkfoot though in the picture at least, its like somebody described a pinkfoot over the phone to the pain shop are they like that in the flesh? Personally I think goose decoys are far to expensive to buy generally, I know its due to their bulk and hence shipping costs but I fail to see why someone from this area of manufacturing in the UK hasn't picked up the ball and run with it at the end of the day they are just another plastic "joblet".I make my own Silhouettes from ply and am just working on some foam ones as a dozen 9mm ply geese is a heavy burden

Hi Kent. Yes you're right they're not brilliant. We used to make them out of ply and much larger that real pinks. They worked quite well but I put that down to JB calling more so than the decoys.

Hi Kent. Yes you're right they're not brilliant. We used to make them out of ply and much larger that real pinks. They worked quite well but I put that down to JB calling more so than the decoys.

I like oversize ones but mine are no slightly scaled down for weight and bulk reasons, I have some full body widgeon cocks that are about 5x as big as a real one and they draw far better than std size ones. If you did that with a Canada you could hide under a shell !

I like oversize ones but mine are no slightly scaled down for weight and bulk reasons, I have some full body widgeon cocks that are about 5x as big as a real one and they draw far better than std size ones. If you did that with a Canada you could hide under a shell !

Apparently, so I heard, some bright spark tried that in the states and had success hiding in the decoy, could be another myth though.

Nope, they are out there. I have a US fowling book from he 70's with a photo of a canada goose 'sit in hide'. I'll try and take a picture and post it.

Apparently, so I heard, some bright spark tried that in the states and had success hiding in the decoy, could be another myth though.

I guess you have the same book too.

No I have pictures of it :lol: If somebody did that next to me I couldn't shoot for laughing

Nope, they are out there. I have a US fowling book from he 70's with a photo of a canada goose 'sit in hide'. I'll try and take a picture and post it.

I guess you have the same book too.

Yeah, before they had the non toxic rule. I think the author went on to start Cabelas or something? Anyhow he knew stacks about clothing and such. Cant remember the title or see it on the shelves at present and I am sat in the library