Ice bucket challenge

DazzJo

Simples-its a childish challenge to pour a bucket of iced water over your head and post it on farcebook-its helping by keeping morons off our streets for a short while.

Obviously doesn't like anything to do with charity and fund raising. Pfft

It's just a bit of fun, raising awareness and whilst ensuring you donate to charity.

Also, quite amusing to nominate friends who you know will hate doing it but will submit to peer pressure and do it anyhow.

Plus there are some hilarious fail videos about from it now too.

It's just a bit of fun, raising awareness and whilst ensuring you donate to charity.

Also, quite amusing to nominate friends who you know will hate doing it but will submit to peer pressure and do it anyhow.

Plus there are some hilarious fail videos about from it now too.

I still didn't dare to nominate the wife though :lol:

I'm wondering if this thread needs some clarification -

ALS is known in Britain as Motor Neurone Disease. It's the condition from which Professor Stephen Hawking suffers. The one that killed actor David Niven; footballer Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone; and my mother.

The Motor Neurone Disease Association - a British Charity - works to fund research and provide care, and really, really needs our financial support. Please have a look at the website.

Professor Hawking really is an exception to the normal course of this horrible disease - most sufferers have a very poor prognosis post diagnosis, and deteriorate quite rapidly. Death usually occurs within a couple of years.

My mother was diagnosed in December 1996. She had gone to her GP because of persistent numbness in one leg. By Easter of 1997 she was on crutches or a zimmer, had lost a lot of weight and muscular condition, and was having problems with speech and eating.

By the summer of that year, she was confined to a wheelchair as her legs no longer worked, and she had to be fed liquidised food which was, literally, poured down her throat with all the attendant spluttering and choking. Her right arm had ceased to function, so she couldn't write, and she had lost her speech completely as the muscle in her tongue had died. Her breathing had become very shallow because the muscles in her chest were also on the way out.

I could go on describing the slow death of a highly intelligent and once very active woman, but I really don't want to relive it. Please believe me when I saw that it was horrific.

She died in March 1998, fifteen months after diagnosis - exactly as predicted by the medical experts.

We, the family, were told at the time that Motor Neurone Disease was a comparatively rare condition, that at any one time there are approximately 5,000 sufferers in the UK. What I can say is that over the last eighteen years I've come across more than my fair share of them - the plumber who came to the rescue when our heating pipes burst; a friend I played badminton with; the brother of a bloke who's part of our long-distance walking group. The tragic list lengthens every year.

And it's a mysterious condition. It strikes at all ages. We don't know what causes it. We don't know if it's hereditary - but one of my mother's aunts died showing very similar symptoms. So I worry a lot about my children's futures.

So gentlemen and ladies of this forum, please don't let the American ALS forum put you off. There's a very deserving destination for your donations on the home scene.

Please don't stop giving!

Thanks for reading this, and may you and your loved ones never be touched by this horrible illness.

Edited by aldivalloch

I'm wondering if this thread needs some clarification -

ALS is known in Britain as Motor Neurone Disease. It's the condition from which Professor Stephen Hawking suffers. The one that killed actor David Niven; footballer Jimmy "Jinky" Johnstone; and my mother.

The Motor Neurone Disease Association - a British Charity - works to fund research and provide care, and really, really needs our financial support. Please have a look at the website.

Professor Hawking really is an exception to the normal course of this horrible disease - most sufferers have a very poor prognosis post diagnosis, and deteriorate quite rapidly. Death usually occurs within a couple of years.

My mother was diagnosed in December 1996. She had gone to her GP because of persistent numbness in one leg. By Easter of 1997 she was on crutches or a zimmer, had lost a lot of weight and muscular condition, and was having problems with speech and eating.

By the summer of that year, she was confined to a wheelchair as her legs no longer worked, and she had to be fed liquidised food which was, literally, poured down her throat with all the attendant spluttering and choking. Her right arm had ceased to function, so she couldn't write, and she had lost her speech completely as the muscle in her tongue had died. Her breathing had become very shallow because the muscles in her chest were also on the way out.

I could go on describing the slow death of a highly intelligent and once very active woman, but I really don't want to relive it. Please believe me when I saw that it was horrific.

She died in March 1998, fifteen months after diagnosis - exactly as predicted by the medical experts.

We, the family, were told at the time that Motor Neurone Disease was a comparatively rare condition, that at any one time there are approximately 5,000 sufferers in the UK. What I can say is that over the last eighteen years I've come across more than my fair share of them - the plumber who came to the rescue when our heating pipes burst; a friend I played badminton with; the brother of a bloke who's part of our long-distance walking group. The tragic list lengthens every year.

And it's a mysterious condition. It strikes at all ages. We don't know what causes it. We don't know if it's hereditary - but one of my mother's aunts died showing very similar symptoms. So I worry a lot about my children's futures.

So gentlemen and ladies of this forum, please don't let the American ALS forum put you off. There's a very deserving destination for your donations on the home scene.

Please don't stop giving!

Thanks for reading this, and may you and your loved ones never be touched by this horrible illness.

A very good charity however according to American news channels ...... only 27% of the money reaches the people it should do.

A very good charity however according to American news channels ...... only 27% of the money reaches the people it should do.

PLEASE read my post. The Motor Neurone Disease Association is a BRITISH CHARITY.

Forget what American news channels say about the ALS thing. I'm asking people to donate to MNDA which uses funds very differently - Google its annual reports and financial statements to see how.