What location systems do the emergency services use?

kennett

This will be the first year of running my own shoot, and just wondering what the best method is for getting the air/land ambulance to the right place just incase the worst did happen. Do they use grid ref, gps co-ordinates, because trying to describe a field to someone on the phone might not be the easiest or quickest task

Hi Kennet good luck on running your own shoot do you have any more info to give ?

Ive helped with running shoots before, but this will be mostly my own work! Keepering 1000 odd acres, with some really nice woods and some nice open fields for cover crops. Running it for 4 friends who want nice, relaxed family shoots, 700 birds down with 4 days plus a Cock day for me. In return I get tips, glory and all the vermin control, which is fine by me!

Thanks for the advice everyone, will stick the required info in the shoot trailer

Issue are 1. getting mobile signal in remote rural areas so you can call or the GPS track sorted 2. signalling from ground to air.

We have to use the air ambulance a bit round here and its not like on the TV, I suggest you record grid references and have a ground to air signalling method sorted in advance of need

As a serving paramedic the best thing if a post code isn't available would be a road name/ number or junction the services can meet you then be taken forward to the casualty, let us worry about moving them. We here in the north east use Os mapping 1:25000 scale on our terrafix system.

If you are on the moor or are really remote then defiantly use Os grids and if poss a marker panel (hi vis vest pegged out will do) and always stand up wind of where you want the aircraft to land.

All the best with your new venture.