reloading gone back to basics

OK, I'm starting load developing again.

24" barrel varmint profile

1/10" twist

Lapua case neck sized

Cci br primer

N140 powder

155g Lapua scenar heads

After a bit of research I'm going down the Dan newbury optimum charge weight ocw way of testing.

Max loads in the one calibre book is 43.3g

Start loads

One 10% under max 40g

One +2% 40.8g

One +2% 41.6g

Use these as sighters and barrel foulers.

Then load batches of three in +1% increments.

Batch 1. 42g

Batch 2. 42.4g

Batch 3. 42.8g

Batch 4. 43.2g

Batch 5. 43.6g

Set out 6 targets one for sighting and the other 5 for development

Then do a round Robin target shoot. batch 1 target A,batch 2 target b,batch 3 target for c,batch 4 target d,batch 5 target e.

But one shot at one target, then onto the next load new target and keep at it until all 5 target have 3 shot groups.

Hope all this make sense as I have only just got it after loads research on the net. After every shot I will allow the barrel to cool.

I found a low node on my first load development with 37.5g of powder at 100m witch was sub moa, then I shot them at 300 and had around a 24" drop and ran out of scope. So now I'm doing high end stuff. I have worked upto and a few grains above max book and no sighns of pressure. Hoping to find the high accuracy node now. I'm doing my best to set up for some shooting at Diggle to find out exactly what I want to do,I fancy macquees when I'm sorted with some good loads.

The rifle and myself can shoot factory ammo quite well sub 1/2" at 100.

So what do you guys and girls think about the method above.

Cheers Albert.

Edited by Albert 888

O.

The rifle and myself can shoot factory ammo quite well sub 1/2" at 100.

Stick with the factory - If you can shoot consistent 5 shot x .5moa groups you'll struggle to beat that unless you have a super custom barrel of some kind and top end accuracy loads are not much cheaper than factory. If they still hang together at 300 yards they must be on a node so shoot some through the chrony to see where they are.

The OCW system is becoming more widely used and seems to produce good results so give it a go. Personally, for consistency, I prefer to FL resize every time.

I think you will change over time, we all do. Mc Queens is shot over 200 and 300 most good rounds going over 2700 will get the job done. To shoot past 800 its a challenge to stay supersonic speed is you friend and your looking to better 2800 as are climatic conditions, if you want me to send you my 155 scenar load again I will it shot well going just outside MOA at 1000 and placing in McQueens against good shooters with more efficient rounds when I had my right head on

Stick with the factory - If you can shoot consistent 5 shot x .5moa groups you'll struggle to beat that unless you have a super custom barrel of some kind and top end accuracy loads are not much cheaper than factory. If they still hang together at 300 yards they must be on a node so shoot some through the chrony to see where they are.

The OCW system is becoming more widely used and seems to produce good results so give it a go. Personally, for consistency, I prefer to FL resize every time.

Most good factory shoots well at 100 its longer range that things open up due to generally having higher deviations most likely due to production control/ tolerances.

Only tested and zeroed with the factory rounds at 100m,hornady 150 sst's,going to use as my hunting round. Maybe again I'm aiming to high with a factory rifle and cheap but good scope. Struggling with range time and shooting over 100m is once every few months. I would fl size but only have a neck sizer,didn't want to by anymore dies as I was looking into the le Wilson type die arrangement. Going to buy a load of factory ammo to use and recycle in my p14. Will stick at it and keep everyone posted. Kent I will look back through my emails regarding the 155 load.

Only tested and zeroed with the factory rounds at 100m,hornady 150 sst's,going to use as my hunting round. Maybe again I'm aiming to high with a factory rifle and cheap but good scope. Struggling with range time and shooting over 100m is once every few months. I would fl size but only have a neck sizer,didn't want to by anymore dies as I was looking into the le Wilson type die arrangement. Going to buy a load of factory ammo to use and recycle in my p14. Will stick at it and keep everyone posted. Kent I will look back through my emails regarding the 155 load.

my 308 shoots the Hornady 150 sst's excellent. Trying to get hold of some 150gr sierra pro hunter to reload my own, struggling at the moment.

Reggiegun

If you're shooting 1000 you will need to shoot heavier kent not lighter. 175 would be better.

not what I found and I was doing it a long time back now. A lot depends on which two bullets you compare but then your into different barrel lengths to get the right burn and even different twists etc. The 155 scenar with anything over 2800 will get the job done pretty good in most factory .308 win rifles in practice

not what I found and I was doing it a long time back now. A lot depends on which two bullets you compare but then your into different barrel lengths to get the right burn and even different twists etc. The 155 scenar with anything over 2800 will get the job done pretty good in most factory .308 win rifles in practice

OK Kent.

Can I suggest that you right a book, I am sure it will out sell all other books maybe even the bible.

OK, I'm starting load developing again.

After a bit of research I'm going down the Dan newbury optimum charge weight ocw way of testing.

Max loads in the one calibre book is 43.3g

Start loads

One 10% under max 40g

One +2% 40.8g

One +2% 41.6g

Use these as sighters and barrel foulers.

Then load batches of three in +1% increments.

Batch 1. 42g

Batch 2. 42.4g

Batch 3. 42.8g

Batch 4. 43.2g

Batch 5. 43.6g

Set out 6 targets one for sighting and the other 5 for development

Then do a round Robin target shoot. batch 1 target A,batch 2 target b,batch 3 target for c,batch 4 target d,batch 5 target e.

Cheers Albert.

I am new to all this but I have noticed the One Cal books can be way off on powder weights compared to the latest data on the websites ... this was a surprise to me and wasted much time.

OK, I'm starting load developing again

After a bit of research I'm going down the Dan newbury optimum charge weight ocw way of testing. .

So what do you guys and girls think about the method above.

Cheers Albert.

For me the most important bit is that you use a system and aim for consistency ...

A bit like dieting ... It's not which one you follow but the fact you stick with it and keep accurate data records. All results count, not just the nice ones.

I use the OCW and it does what I need.

Also use 1 book 1 calbre and if nothing else it shows that different powder or bullet manufacturers, using different test equipment on different days can get (.....) results. So I don't fret if my figures differ as long as they are within the same area.

• 1 month later...

OK guys finally did some home loads and got on the range,yes and it rained. Did the ladder test started at 43 g and whent up to 46.5g,which took me 3.3g over max book,I had no stiff bolt or flattening of primers and no flames out the end of the barrel. The smallest group and closest to poa was 45g of N140,Lapua case,ccibr primer and 155g Lapua scenar heads. Thanks for the advice I will now refine the load from this.