LR SUPERSONIC??

Just a quick one, HV .22lr for use on fox?

Is your .22lr conditioned for fox as my FLO categorically said to me no .22lr for fox under any circumstance or I would lose my license, I asked about for dispatching a fox in a trap/snare and he said no, your not conditioned for fox on .22lr so the answer is still no. He was quite funny about it.

So after that convocation with my FLO I have come to the conclusion: If your going to for fox in any circumstance play it safe and use a shotgun and appropriate load or FAC rifle that is clearly conditioned for it, leave the .22lr for bunny work and any ground pigeon, corvid or squirrel with subsonic.

ATB

Matt

a local Bedford shooter was unsure about shooting a fox with his lr so he emailed the feo who just cut copied and pasted part of the law on shooting fox which i did not say you couldn't i will see if i can find it,

i think it's another one of those feo's making their own rule's

personally i asked for aolq on my ticket

colin

Just a quick one, HV .22lr for use on fox?

Is your .22lr conditioned for fox as my FLO categorically said to me no .22lr for fox under any circumstance or I would lose my license, I asked about for dispatching a fox in a trap/snare and he said no, your not conditioned for fox on .22lr so the answer is still no. He was quite funny about it.

So after that convocation with my FLO I have come to the conclusion: If your going to for fox in any circumstance play it safe and use a shotgun and appropriate load or FAC rifle that is clearly conditioned for it, leave the .22lr for bunny work and any ground pigeon, corvid or squirrel with subsonic.

ATB

Matt

Fox is vermin but also fully cleared up by AOLQ, it is legal to shoot foxes with a 22 some forces just don't like it.

a local Bedford shooter was unsure about shooting a fox with his lr so he emailed the feo who just cut copied and pasted part of the law on shooting fox which i did not say you couldn't i will see if i can find it,

i think it's another one of those feo's making their own rule's

personally i asked for aolq on my ticket

colin

I also emailed (but for HMR) and again cut pasted basically if the shooter feels the round is capable then no issues.

Fox is vermin but also fully cleared up by AOLQ, it is legal to shoot foxes with a 22 some forces just don't like it.

Daf,

West mercia wont put AOLQ on my ticket for: .17HMR, .22lr and .22 FAC Air, I had a argument with my FLO and he said fox aren’t covered by vermin and they are just waiting for a test case to take to court . I don’t want to be that test case. I was quite assured if it was proven I had used a .22lr on a fox that would be the end of my ticket. He went on to claim he saw a fox shot at 40/50 yards with a head shot with a .22lr and the round just bounced / ricocheted off it head and the fox ran off, I say BS but am not going to fall out with my FLO as am likely to lose be the one who loses out.

ATB

Matt

I'm not trying to be a smartypants or any such thing, but my question about your location was prompted by you saying that you "chest shot a hare the other day".

If you were south of the border, or if it was a mountain hare, or if you have a licence to shoot brown hares as agricultural pests, fine. But there's a seasonal restriction in Scotland on the shooting of brown hares now - they can't be taken between 1st February and 30th September.

As I said, I'm not trying to be smart or holier-than-thou. I just don't want to see someone getting into bother for popping one out-of-season.

Ah I see

didn't say where I shot it :good:

all legal

Daf,

West mercia wont put AOLQ on my ticket for: .17HMR, .22lr and .22 FAC Air, I had a argument with my FLO and he said fox aren’t covered by vermin and they are just waiting for a test case to take to court . I don’t want to be that test case. I was quite assured if it was proven I had used a .22lr on a fox that would be the end of my ticket. He went on to claim he saw a fox shot at 40/50 yards with a head shot with a .22lr and the round just bounced / ricocheted off it head and the fox ran off, I say BS but am not going to fall out with my FLO as am likely to lose be the one who loses out.

They will be waiting a while for that test case!

I have personally seen an HMR skim off a fox head and there was a thread a while ago about a guy that shot a fox with a 55gr .243 and when he got there the fox had a hole in its head/nose but was totally awake and alive!

Weird stuff happens

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329845/GuideFirearmsLicensingLawJune14.pdf

13.19 The term “game” covers certain birds and animals that may be shot for food and sport.
These include pheasant, partridge, grouse, ptarmigan and ground game (rabbits and
hares). The term “vermin” is not defined in law, but it may include species that cause
damage to crops, game, livestock or property such as fox, rabbit, mink, stoat, weasel,
brown rat, and grey squirrel; as well as some birds, such as wood pigeon and corvids such
as rook and crow.
Fox
13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable for
the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220
Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available.
In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use
one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or
6.5mm (.264) calibre.
.22 Rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used
against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short
range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around
farm buildings or paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are
shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to achieve a humane kill. (NOT HIS ****** FEO!)
but I have fox added to everything on my FAC
.17M2, .17HMR, .22lr, .22WMR, .222, .243, .270,
Edited by Bewsher500

Daf,

ATB

Matt

This FLO sounds like an absolute fool. Have foxes suddenly become bullet proof? Its up to the shooter to use a rifle within its safe limits, not the police. The police are just there to ensure good reason. I would ask for a written explanation as to why West Mercia regard .22LR as unsuitable for fox.

I had a West Mercia FLO tell me that shooting a fox with a vermin conditioned .22LR or HMR was absolutely no problem (this was about 9 years ago).

This FLO sounds like an absolute fool. Have foxes suddenly become bullet proof? Its up to the shooter to use a rifle within its safe limits, not the police. The police are just there to ensure good reason. I would ask for a written explanation as to why West Mercia regard .22LR as unsuitable for fox.

I had a West Mercia FLO tell me that shooting a fox with a vermin conditioned .22LR or HMR was absolutely no problem (this was about 9 years ago).

I dont think my old FLO would have had an issue as he was a good guy and sensible and listened, how ever the new guy am not used too and is very different.

ATB

Matt

Daf,

West mercia wont put AOLQ on my ticket for: .17HMR, .22lr and .22 FAC Air, I had a argument with my FLO and he said fox arent covered by vermin and they are just waiting for a test case to take to court . I dont want to be that test case. I was quite assured if it was proven I had used a .22lr on a fox that would be the end of my ticket. He went on to claim he saw a fox shot at 40/50 yards with a head shot with a .22lr and the round just bounced / ricocheted off it head and the fox ran off, I say BS but am not going to fall out with my FLO as am likely to lose be the one who loses out.

ATB

Matt

Matt

Speak to BASC they had a conversation with West Mercia 7 years ago for me asking them to explain why foxes where not vermin based on there being no legal definition and the Oxford Dictionary defining vermin as:

Wild animals which are believed to be harmful to crops, farm animals, or game, or which carry disease, e.g. rodents:

They asked for my FAC back and it was condition for the 22 something like vermin including fox.

I agree you FLO is either BSing or seeing thing if a 22 can't penetrate a foxes skull at 50yrds.

Ah I see

didn't say where I shot it :good:

all legal

Daf,

They will be waiting a while for that test case!

I have personally seen an HMR skim off a fox head and there was a thread a while ago about a guy that shot a fox with a 55gr .243 and when he got there the fox had a hole in its head/nose but was totally awake and alive!

Weird stuff happens

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329845/GuideFirearmsLicensingLawJune14.pdf

13.19 The term “game” covers certain birds and animals that may be shot for food and sport.
These include pheasant, partridge, grouse, ptarmigan and ground game (rabbits and
hares). The term “vermin” is not defined in law, but it may include species that cause
damage to crops, game, livestock or property such as fox, rabbit, mink, stoat, weasel,
brown rat, and grey squirrel; as well as some birds, such as wood pigeon and corvids such
as rook and crow.
Fox
13.25 Although not set out in legislation, common rifle cartridges considered suitable for
the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220
Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available.
In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use
one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes, they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or
6.5mm (.264) calibre.
.22 Rimfires are generally considered as having insufficient muzzle energy to be used
against foxes in most circumstances. However, these could be suitable for use at short
range by experienced persons, and may be permitted in certain situations such as around
farm buildings or paddocks. It is for the operator to ensure that the quarry species are
shot at the appropriate range with the appropriate ammunition to achieve a humane kill. (NOT HIS ****** FEO!)
but I have fox added to everything on my FAC
.17M2, .17HMR, .22lr, .22WMR, .222, .243, .270,

They will have a Looooooooooong wait, and if they are actually stupid enough to try they will lose, and a precedent will be set....Fox is Vermin, no court in the land can/will rule they are not!