Fibre wad receipe

Just rechecked load that came from sheet of loads from claygame reloaders for A1 powder load is correct for guns proofed. At 740 bar ie 2 /34 chambers.Dipper

I don't know the pressures for that but the claygame CD is notorious for flakey recipes that have no pressures data. I would always be looking to verify any recipe on it.

What speed will As or A1 give you?

I was getting about 1250fps in a 32gram plastic load with A1. It knocked birds down well and was plenty fast enough I recall using 24grains with a cx2000 in a 70mm case.

Now I prefer to use 21grains of AS with 30 grams of shot for 1257 fps and 678bar (tested by BPH)

All in 12 gauge obviously. E&OE

Edited by sitsinhedges

27grains or 1.74gm of A1 powder in a 12ga 70mm case 32gm lead shot looks ok see http://www.####.co.uk/vecta1.htm

However Vectan(Nobelsports) data do appear to be at the max and so I would work from 1.60gm up. Also see http://www.gualandi.it/en/tables.html

Always best to work-up a load, some of my best loads are less than the published data and are a joy to shoot.

AS will do 32gm but is not as fast and more recoil.

Here is an extract from a sheet I am slowly putting together from various sources on the net (that may be of use to you) e.g FSK/C&G etc reference fibre & card loads (Copied & pasted) also a page of data from the Ideal hand book No38 showing heavy loads using Red Dot, I havn't used any of the loads yet other than the red dot ones :-

Data I have: (CG CD v9, 18 months old)

Both use CX2000 primers, fibre wads, 70mm PT tubes and vectan A1, but lead weights vary:

1) 27 gr A1, CX2000, 3mm OP, 21mm fibre, 3mm felt, 28g 2.4mm size 7 shot, extrap muzzle V 1203 fps, 464.8 bar

2) 26 gr A1, CX2000, 3mm OP, 18mm fibre, 36g 3.3mm size 3 shot, eMV 1083fps, 646.5 bar

There is also a CX50 formula without an OP card - can anyone explain??

3) 26 gr A1, CX50, 21mm fibre, 5mm cork, 32g 2.3mm size 7.5 shot, eMV 1243 fps 549 bar but uses CX50, which I have also. The shot size conversions are mine, in italics.

12g 70mm PT hull
CX2000 Primer
24gr Vectan A1
4mm 12g Nitro Card
17mm 12g fibre Wad
32g No6 Shot
6 point Crimp

And then the following –

12g 70mm PT hull

Fioochi 616

21 Grains Of Red Dot

1/4’’ Over Powder Card

15/16’’ Fibre Wad

1/8’’ Cork

7/8oz Of No7

* 12 Gauge *

Fibre wad

70mm Case.
Fiocchi 615 primer.
1.4gm Vectan AS
4mm Over Powder Card.
20mm Diana Fibre Wad.
28gm #7.5 (2.3mm) (or #8 2.2mm shot) lead shot.
Star crimp.

70mm Case.
Fiocchi 615 primer.
1.4gm Vectan AS
4mm Over Powder Card.
18mm Diana Fibre Wad.
30gm #6 (2.6mm) lead shot.
Star crimp.

Subsonic - Thanks to a customer for this data.
940fps (@ 2.5mtr) 402 bar.
70mm Case.
CX2000 primer.
17grain Vectan AS
4mm Over Powder Card.
20mm Diana Fibre.
32gm #4 lead shot.
Star crimp.

IdealHandbook38 page83.pdf

Guest cookoff013

Just been looking at old loading data found 1 photo copy by home loader in shooting times dated April 10 1986 parallel case cci or ww primer 1 1/8 shot 27 grains A1 powder. Titled loading for clays / wad Obturator plus 2 3/8 kleena wads .Comments please . Dipper

thats a load from 1986, i know of a few noblesport powders that have been re-formulated since then tecna, A0 to name but a few. i`m not saying your data is wrong, but its old.

back then i`m betting they didnt use a transducer, maybe used a lead crusher ?

27grains or 1.74gm of A1 powder in a 12ga 70mm case 32gm lead shot looks ok see http://www.####.co.uk/vecta1.htm

However Vectan(Nobelsports) data do appear to be at the max and so I would work from 1.60gm up. Also see http://www.gualandi.it/en/tables.html

Always best to work-up a load, some of my best loads are less than the published data and are a joy to shoot.

AS will do 32gm but is not as fast and more recoil.

OK, that does point into the direction of those loads. but some of the data i`ve seen recently (this week) does suggest that 25 grains is "hot" so 2 grains more or 9% makes it hotter still.

Has any one got a receipe for 32 gram fibre wad for 12 gauge using either Vectan AS or A1 which is reasonably fast?

Thanks

gunners asked for a reasonably FAST load with A1 powder which I gave from tested data which I posses . I am aware that some powders have been reformulated ie AO but A1is not one of them.Granted 27gn seems a large dose of powder all depending on componants used I have a tested load with 29 gn with a gl wad and eley primer. I also have a 2 1/4 oz load with A1 10 bore load with proof data. A1 is a inerently safe powder well suited to amateur loaders not my words. Granted a lot of my data is old I agree it's not been tested with a transducer but tested no less.Most of my loads are lowish powder loads don't have much use for HV loads.Loading has got to be carried out with comman. Sense and stick to tested data.Dipper.