Wind and 17 hmr - advise please

Ballie

Guys, I have just bought myself a second hand .17 hmr, it’s an Anschutz 1517 (factory 14 inch barrel)

I bought it from a guy on BBS for £315, which also included some ammo (a pretty good deal I thought) I have bought a SAK mod for it and I have just imported a Burris 4.5x14 x 42 Full Field scope (with free Burris 12x24 x 50 spotting scope) at a cost of £178 delivered!!!

Yesterday I went out to get some mounts all I could get was Millett which I am not that impressed with, I would like some really good mounts for it can anyone recommend anything good that will either fit the 11mm rail on the action or something that will fit the screw holes on the action?

On to my main reason for this post, I have cleaned the rifle thoroughly before I used it as it had not been cleaned, and today I have been out trying to set it all up. I have got it zeroed in at 100yds I managed 1 1/4 inch group but there was a slight wind. However at 150yds I found I had a 4 inch drop and the group moved off to the left about 2 inches with a group size of 2 inches, the wind was blowing from the right so I expected a move in this direction.

Can anyone that has had experience with this little calibre tell me just how much affect the wind has on this little round?

I am shooting Hornady 17g v-max

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Are you new to rifle shooting or just the calibre?

£315 sounds like a good deal to me but it may also explain the group size. My cz is producing 1/2" groups at 100yards I did a little work to it ie trigger and barral float but its all standard stuff I would be expecting an annie to product that as well. It may be something small affecting the groups or you might need a bit of practice under better conditions to achieve better groupings.

With a zero at 100yards id expect a drop of maybe 3" at 150yards

The .17 being such a small light bullet is effected by wind but within 100yards nothing huge i wouldnt worry about 2" sounds fine to me theres a chart on the site i posted.

Burris signature zee rings are worth a look good quaility rings

To address your accuracy problem (which might just be the wind and you prob know most of this)

Ammo can be a big factor try a few brands in both 17gr and 20gr to see what shoots best some barrels just refuse to shoot the slightly lighter bullets.

If you have cleaned it you should fire a couple of shots to foul (line) the barrel before shooting for groups

Check the crown for and damages it should be perfectly uniform and depending on the type of crown leave a uniform residue from the powder

Another important thing is the stock more so with wood its a bad idea having the barrel touching the stock at any point as changes in temp humidity etc will effect the position of the stock so its best to have the barrel fully floated

That should be of some help to you if your starting off as you can tell im a little bored on a sunday afternoon i'm killin time before i go back to college. I'll shut up now congrats on new rifle annies are great guns you should have some great fun with it.

Psittacosis, thank for your reply, no I am not new to rifle shooting, just this little calibre is new to me. I have already checked the barrel floats etc, I have even bought a rim thickness gauge to sort all the ammo out in to batches with different rim thickness (yes I know I probably should get out more!) I agree I was hoping for sub 1 inch at 100 but I think it was just the wind I will have to wait for a wind free day to try again.

Thanks

Guys, I have just bought myself a second hand .17 hmr, it’s an Anschutz 1517 (factory 14 inch barrel)

I bought it from a guy on BBS for £315, which also included some ammo (a pretty good deal I thought) I have bought a SAK mod for it and I have just imported a Burris 4.5x14 x 42 Full Field scope (with free Burris 12x24 x 50 spotting scope) at a cost of £178 delivered!!!

Yesterday I went out to get some mounts all I could get was Millett which I am not that impressed with, I would like some really good mounts for it can anyone recommend anything good that will either fit the 11mm rail on the action or something that will fit the screw holes on the action?

On to my main reason for this post, I have cleaned the rifle thoroughly before I used it as it had not been cleaned, and today I have been out trying to set it all up. I have got it zeroed in at 100yds I managed 1 1/4 inch group but there was a slight wind. However at 150yds I found I had a 4 inch drop and the group moved off to the left about 2 inches with a group size of 2 inches, the wind was blowing from the right so I expected a move in this direction.

Can anyone that has had experience with this little calibre tell me just how much affect the wind has on this little round?

I am shooting Hornady 17g v-max

where did you get the rest its sitting on?

I am always intrigued by peoples experience of wind and ballistics by the fact most have absolute no idea what speed the wind is doing and use there cheek or finger as a guage :rolleyes: .........What I can tell you that by using a very expensive anemnometer and taking a cross wind speed reading of 15-18 mph moved my .223 groups over by over 1-1.5"'s at 100 yds ...........a comparison to this wind would be quite blustery or bedsheets blowing alot on a washing line .

The picture below indicates alot of shots landing to the right because I was aiming centre .........The crossed matches indicate my aim point to hit the centre of the target .I haven't done any real range work with the .17 either but wind will affect it at 100 yds ...........It's just a case of working out how much . :rolleyes:

post-1945-1172436622.jpg

I have the Millet mounts also on my HMR and I know where your coming from but they are good mounts and are stronger than what they look :rolleyes: .

Thanks Ive, I would think you are shooting 50g bullets out of your .223 if the wind moved them 1 1/2 - 2 inches then the little 17g .17hmr round will obviously move a lot more, looks like I will need to do some testing on targets so I can get an idea of whats happening.

thats not a good grouping at that range even with the wind. Mine shoots better than I can and from a good rest is easily into a thumbnail size group at 100 yards. Scoped at 100 yards you should be getting @3" drop at 150 yards so you're nott too far off at that range obviously with the wind possibly accounting for the rest.

Obviously with a second hand gun you have all the unknowns that go with it and you're not happy with the mounts so i'd suggest replacing them giving it a thorough clean and have another go when its absolutely still.

• 3 years later...

Well this has come up on here now,

this was the problem with a mates annie(factory 14 inch barrel)on his annie, and we were told it was a cookup buy them, they cut the barrels to short. :blink: .

we could not get it to shoot less than a 2" group at spot on 100yards the best we got was just over 2".

we tried rem/hornady, red, blue tip, 17gr and 20gr heads and we could not get it sorted.even with front and rear bags, no wind and a prayer still no joy.

in the end,....

. he sold the rifle to a RFD who was told of the issues and he was happy to take it on.

bob.

My cz varmint 452 .17 hmr is zeroed in at 100 yards but at 150 yards i noticed no drop. im looking in to trying 200, 250 and 300 just to see how it responds. I was using hornandy blue tips.

If I was you I would zero your gun on a calm day otherwise you will never be able to compensate your gun for different weather conditions.

My Annie is zerod at 100 yards and will group 1/4 inch all day when I do my bit as for yours try different ammo mine loves Remmies and hated Hornandy I know they are said to be made by the same people but works for me ,as for the wind a 50 cal will move in the wind I just learnt how much to allow if it`s too bad I dont shoot clean kills that way.