AYA Yeoman choke help.

happy.plinker

Here's one for the more technical than me, Just got a 1966 AYA yeoman s/s and the barrels are stamped 17.4/18.5 on one,and 17.9/18.5 on the other,is this the choke measurements and can anyone decipher it?I emailed AYA but they have no records of choke.My choke gauge says full and half but from reading on here they're a waste of money. Thanks HP.

if u r they concerned best advice is go shoot them at some paper and see waht happens.whatever is stamped on barrels is frankly nominal mathematics,what it actually shoots is meaningful......if you like results fine,if too tight for you,easily opened up....if too open you are stuffed! Personally think choke is unimportant unless reults are a t extremes..

Yep, 1/2 (0.024") and Full (0.043") when it was stamped. Anything could have happened in 48 years so Dougall has your answer. If it's in good nick (or needs anything doing to it, then have it done) look after it. I have a 1964 XXV and in this era AYA were at the top of their game and if properly maintained, it'll see you out. If you pattern it, do it properly as should you decide to open the chokes out based on just a couple of shots, you could well ruin it. Enjoy.

From memory, s/s Yeomans came with a lot of choke as standard. 18.5 to 17.4 is the same as 43 thou constriction and 18.5 to 17.9 is 24 thou, so a nominal half and full. However - it may have been opened out (I had mine opened out) and whatever it measures is only a guide - what pattern it throws is the real test.

If those measurements are the bore (18.5mm) and the tightest part of the choke then the restrictions will be 1.1mm and 0.6mm which in english equals .043" (full) and .024" (half) !

But as dougall has correctly stated you need to fire at a pattern plate to determine the true result.

I thought all AyA's that come out of the factory in early years ie the 60's are 1/4 and 1/2 wymberley? I may be wrong but I called AyA about my O/U and was helpful so may be worth a call if you really want to know happy.plinker.

DazzJo

You and John are both correct. Many were 1/4 by 1/2 - my XXV is. However, I seem to remember that almost all of the Yeomans were 1/2 by Full - may be because it was envisaged as more of a general purpose gun. Just to confuse the issue I had a 26" barrelled Yeoman with a beavertail fore end which was 1/4 by 1/2.

I'm 99% sure my Yeoman was half and full. My No 1 (same year) is 1/4 and 1/2. No 1's were 'made to order' - but many were ordered to standard spec'n, which I presume was 1/4 and 1/2. I also have a 'Senior (model above No 1) that was originally made as Full and Full, but that would have been a made to individual order only.

Thanks for all the replies,I'll need to get an old sheet of ply and white paint and check the pattern by the sound of it,like you all say it's more about the shooting than the maths.There's some light rust all over it and I'm going to strip it down for a deep clean,and I won't be opening chokes unless the patterns very tight which I doubt , I've altered some old screwdrivers to fit the screws as per other posts on here. This website is great for advice and hands on stuff for all things shooting and otherwise. thanks again HP.